The next Scenerio Design Contest?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The next Scenerio Design Contest?
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #25
On a matter of curiosity, when would official decisions about changing contest rules be made? A month before?

Also, I think anonymous scores promotes BoE/BoA bias. Only one other person will see them and it seems easier to get away with rating based on taste/preference. I still like my discussion idea - it seems the best way so that the personal taste of the judges can't get in the way of the results too much.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #26
I volunteer to moderate again, unless through some stroke of fate I manage to finish my scenario (which is so close to being done it would only take a weekend if I buckled down and did it).

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:

Also, I think anonymous scores promotes BoE/BoA bias. Only one other person will see them and it seems easier to get away with rating based on taste/preference. I still like my discussion idea - it seems the best way so that the personal taste of the judges can't get in the way of the results too much.
Well, in a sense, anonymous judging is opposite to what you suggested. What I thought was actually that judges wouldn't know about each others' scores before they had given one.

EDIT: Yes. Blind judging. Exactly. Not "anonymous" judging.

Another issue that traditionally divides opinions is, what the role of personal taste is in judging (books, scenarios, films...) Is it bias or is it the truth? Because there is no Law of Scenario Designing, or at least none that the judges would have to follow.

In any case, if you (other people) want to judge like BainIhrno suggested, it's your decision of course.

[ Thursday, August 10, 2006 06:26: Message edited by: Milu ]
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #28
The first few contests were all blind judging. Personally I prefer this. You email your scores/reviews to the organizer, who does averages and makes a neat little webpage that will be published with scores and reviews when the judging finishes.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #29
I much prefer discussion-based judging. Even though the Shark contest was a poor example of it.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Warrior
Member # 5854
Profile #30
Oh, man, BoE too? I can't GET BoE on my new computer! I'm begging the designers out there - please, put up alternate BoA versions for those of us with new Macs!
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #31
Dream on. I refuse to support BoA.

Anyway, the porting feature stinks, according to designers. If someone wanted to do it, they couldn't, at least not in time.

[ Sunday, August 13, 2006 14:36: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #32
Rivka,

Here's a link that shows you how to run BoE on an Intel Mac: http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001761

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
I'm just trying to tell people to watch themselves before saying "Kel will win by default!".
But he will anyway! :P

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.

Pages