This Is Going to Suck, But Why the Hell Not?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: This Is Going to Suck, But Why the Hell Not?
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #0
When I discovered that Blades of Avernum supported third-party scenario design, I instantly realized three things:

1.) I want to design an enjoyable scenario that will entertain people.2.) Mastering the scenario editor is going to be hard.3.) Mastering the Avernum scripting language is going to totally suck and be really hard.That doesn't mean I won't give it the old college try, however. I'm currently soaking up the "docs" and Kelandon's FAQ, and I'll fiddle around with the editor itself at some point.
If there are any obscure reference documents or Web pages I can't find by scouring this Web site, the other Avernum design Web sites, and/or Kelandon's FAQ, please share them with me.

And yes, I will start small, as Jeff recommends. I figure the guy knows what the heck he's talking about, and I don't want to tank from pent-up frustration and exhaustion after taking on too large of a project.

Wish me luck; I'll need it. Figuring out the Fallout 2 scripting engine was Hell on Earth for me, and I hope to God Avernum's will be kinder to me . . . though I doubt it. ;)

[ Sunday, April 16, 2006 01:06: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #1
I'd recommend that you read the Avernum Cookbook. It has helped me a lot when I was learning to do simple tasks.

And, of course, good luck.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
The best way to learn how scripts work is to read briefly through the docs and then read through a released scenario's scripts while referring frequently to the docs. Then experiment a lot making your own scripts.

Copy and paste from functional scripts often. I've never made anything from scratch.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #3
Yesterday was very productive for me. I started making scripts, and then found that I couldn't stop...

Yeah, learning by example is probably the best. Or, just post what you want a script to do in the Editor forum and somebody will give you advice.

I've been toying with this idea lately: if I made a command-line wizard for producing the most basic of scripts, would anyone use it? (It would be command-line, because that's all I'm capable of at the moment.)

--------------------
(Rants about uselessness of introductory computing classes.)
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
Very important: get BoA registered and TEST the things you make. This was for me the greatest source of learning: my own mistakes, and see what was wrong about them. It will save you hours of work if you type the things correctly (and understand why it should be like that!).

Look at this as mathematics homework: copying things just like that without knowing why it is like that, will kill you. Guaranteed.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

I've been toying with this idea lately: if I made a command-line wizard for producing the most basic of scripts, would anyone use it? (It would be command-line, because that's all I'm capable of at the moment.)
If you make a command-line anything, few will use it. I would definitely use a full-blown BoA script editor (a text editor with useful additions), but a command-line editor would be more work than actually writing the scripts.
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

It will save you hours of work if you type the things correctly (and understand why it should be like that!).
That reminds me to plug Alint. I swear by it, personally. I hate having to use BoA's built-in compiler to find my typos.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I hate having to use BoA's built-in compiler to find my typos.
I didn't even know there was one, or do you mean the error messages that you get in the game itself?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
Alint is good. I was swayed into using it, and despite it not being terribly user-friendly, it is easy to work out.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?