Magus of Cattalon bugs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Magus of Cattalon bugs
Apprentice
Member # 6486
Profile #0
Hi. The scenario is brilliant, but there are still some bugs.

The most important one is that the experience gained during the game is never entered. The experience points, the level and the skill points never change.
It’s like we’ve never played, except for pleasure, what is really important, but not enough :-)

Two other bugs are noticed with the missions : freeing the slaves and killing the Nephilim before being ordered to. Indeed, in that case, when you're asking to do these missions you've already completed, and talk again with the people who asked for, nothing happens. You have to come back to the places where the mission were completed, even you don't have anything else to do in, and then come back again to be rewarded and thanked.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #1
Do you mean you never gained levels during the scenario, or that once you finished it, the levels reverted to their old values? Either way, this one is really weird, and I myself haven't encountered the problem (although I haven't been able to finish the scenario yet due to the second thing you mentioned).

The second point is something I'm familiar with - in a way. I did get the quest to kill the kitties and free the slaves before actually doing it, but afterwards Beohram (in fort Nepharim) is supposed to have returned to his office, but instead he's still drinking with his buddies in the dinner hall. I'm glad you found your way around this though, since I still haven't. Better try your trick when I get around to it.

I also have to agree with you on the scenario being excellent. It's a clear improvement for Smoo from his Backwater days.
Apprentice
Member # 6486
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Proud Owner of:
:
Do you mean you never gained levels during the scenario, or that once you finished it, the levels reverted to their old values?
I really mean I never gained any skill or experience point or level from the beginning of the scenario.

When I completed a mission, I can the see in the text area that I'm rewarded with xx points (and/or money or any item but it's ok with that), but when I look at the stat screen, nothing changed except the number of coins.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #3
Hmm.
-Are you playing with a god-party or are their levels around the recommendation (I think ~20)?
-Does this happen in other scenarios as well, or is it only with this one?
-Have you informed Smoo about the problem by email or private message? (He fell victim to conscription and might not see this thread at all.)
-And finally, if you're playing on Windows, keep a copy of a save game in the scenario handy (if you can), because Smoo might want to have a look at it when he can.
Apprentice
Member # 6486
Profile #4
1) Because I've played almost all the other BOA scenarii before this one, my party is level 66.
Fortunately, it's strong enough for not suffering from the impossibility to improve the characters' statistics.

2) It never happened before.

3) No I haven't send any private message to Smoo,just wrote here. It seemed to me obvious that he had to come and look for bug reports and critics.

4) No, I'm playing on a Mac.

[ Wednesday, February 01, 2006 13:49: Message edited by: Anna ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #5
Well, I think the reason for no gained levels might be no.1. A party with such a high level would gain very little experience from the battles in the scenario, and I think the experience from the quests is reduced by party level as well. This would obviously lead to very few levels gained - or in your case, none at all.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Apprentice
Member # 6486
Profile #6
I don't think so. As an example, if I gain 50 or 500 experience points, even it doesn't change the level, that must be entered nevertheless.

I mean, it's a real bug, independantly from the party level !
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
No, I think this is just BoA being weird. I just did a test: I took a level 100 party and gave it 5 experience from a level 5 source — that is, award_party_xp(5,5). It gained 0 actual experience, despite printing the normal "You all gain experience. (5)" line.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6486
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

No, I think this is just BoA being weird. I just did a test: I took a level 100 party and gave it 5 experience from a level 5 source — that is, award_party_xp(5,5). It gained 0 actual experience, despite printing the normal "You all gain experience. (5)" line.
I tried to use my party with some other low level scenarii I didn't played before, and this bug didn't happend, never.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
It's "scenarios," not "scenarii."

Are you saying that if you take your current party into, say, Babysitting, you'll actually gain experience? Try it. I bet that you gain none.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 6486
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

It's "scenarios," not "scenarii."
"Scenario" is an italian word, and the universal plural is "scenarii", when you want to speak a correct literary language...

The plural "scenarios" is an allowed facility of language, but it is not true literary plural. Another example: media /medias instead of medium (singular) /media (plural)...

[ Wednesday, February 01, 2006 14:34: Message edited by: Anna ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Ick. I can find no evidence of English-speakers using "scenarii" except in error, and I can find a preponderance of evidence — from the Oxford English Dictionary listing only citations of "scenarios" as the plural to a simple Google search that renders 1,000 times as many English-language hits for "scenarios" as for "scenarii" — that "scenarios" is preferred.

The rule here is one that I like: the English plural -(e)s (as in, "scenarios") is always acceptable. The original plural may be acceptable, depending on a variety of factors. If anything, the English plural is generally preferred, because most people don't know the original plural (see "octopus" -> "octopodes"). You may be right that it is more "literary" to use the original plural, but you're posting on a message board, not writing an epic poem: your goal is to communicate.

In any case, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah. Bottom line: you shouldn't be getting any experience from MoC at level 60+ anyway.

[ Wednesday, February 01, 2006 14:57: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Thus spake Kelandon:
In any case, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah. Bottom line: you shouldn't be getting any experience from MoC at level 60+ anyway.
Yeah, what he said. Anna, you're killing monsters half your level so you're not supposed to get any experience out of them, except possibly from the animated armor. As for the you gain xx experience points bug: I can't see a thing I can do about that one.

quote:
Anna wrote:
Two other bugs are noticed with the missions : freeing the slaves and killing the Nephilim before being ordered to. Indeed, in that case, when you're asking to do these missions you've already completed, and talk again with the people who asked for, nothing happens. You have to come back to the places where the mission were completed, even you don't have anything else to do in, and then come back again to be rewarded and thanked.
Now that I've actually had some time to read the description of this bug through, I can say that it's not really a bug, just poor designing. When I was designing that part I figured out that some players will kill the nephilim first and then get the quest from Beohram, so they'll have to exit and re-enter the town when Beohram gives them the mission. Why won't Beohram listen to the party in the dinner hall? Don't bother the man when he's eating! (I'll add a "Actually we already killed the nephilim chieftain" - dialogue option when talking to Beohram in the dinner hall. Expect a fixed version of BoA in a week when I next get out of the barracks or by Sunday if I can find the energy.

Right now I'm going to take a shower and maybe write dialogue for my next scenario. Oh! And thank ye for the kind words.

[ Friday, February 03, 2006 08:47: Message edited by: Smoo ]

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Smoo:

Yeah, what he said. Anna, you're killing monsters half your level so you're not supposed to get any experience out of them, except possibly from the animated armor. As for the you gain xx experience points bug: I can't see a thing I can do about that one.
Well, you could give out all scripted XP awards at a variable level equal to the party's average experience level instead of at a fixed level. That way, the amount of experience actually awarded will always be pretty close to the amount the status window message says has been awarded.

On the other hand, you may not necessarily want a level 214 party to gain experience from going through your scenario.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6486
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

[QUOTE]Well, you could give out all scripted XP awards at a variable level equal to the party's average experience level instead of at a fixed level. That way, the amount of experience actually awarded will always be pretty close to the amount the status window message says has been awarded.

On the other hand, you may not necessarily want a level 214 party to gain experience from going through your scenario.

Such a good idee ! Because the fact we don't gain any experience at all is really frustrating. And with each new scenario, I think we all want to see the party to evoluate. Exactly as all scenarii were parts of a same long storyline, independantly from a scenario's level.

Really, I loved this scenario, thanks again Smoo. Please write another one !
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #15
But then again, MoC is for level 30-45 parties, not 1-250. Besides Anna, I doubt your party would gain very many (if any) levels from MoC even if I would do what Thuryl suggested.

As for all the scenarios (I use the word scenarios, if you don't mind.) being part of one big story line: stories have a beginning and an ending. The story of your party begins when they are level one losers and as their story advances they gain levels. Not only is it okay by me if a level 70 party does not gain levels from a level one scenario, but personally I would hang the story-teller who pits that kind of party against rats. Eh, I don't know if this made any sense. I just woke up.

I am writing another scenario, but-uh... it's a level one scenario. I do have a high level scenario in the works, but since my current situation is what it is, I advice you not to hold your breath while you wait for it. Also it looks like it will become my largest scenario, so that's not going to help it be finished any faster.

--------------------
Get them here
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #16
I was playing your scenario and when I tried to enter Fahrango, the BOA screen turned black. I went to the main menu and tried to reload it, but it was still black. I used the character editor to first try to get out of the town, and then out of the scenario, but both times when I loaded the party, it was still in the blackness. I made another party and saved it over that party(same name) and when I loaded that one, even when it had ben in a different scenario,it was in Magus of Cattalon in the blackness. I couldn't use a party with that name until I manually trashed the original party.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #17
Congrats, Smoo, on a great scenario.

There are a few small things that I found while playing that you may want to check up on.
I use a windows system.

1. In the Nephil fortress, the southern door to the room with the nephil chief and giants does not require the key to get through.
2. Under Blood Citadel, you make a big deal out of the training area, but the party can't train. I don't know if it's a glitch with BoA or your scripting, but I found it frustrating.
3. While accessing an outdoor area after fighting giants (I must admit, I forget which one), BoA gave an error message about an unmatched left parenthesis.
4. You don't have any place where you can sell items.
5. In the room with the portal, the messages about throwing a fireball on the machinery come up every time one of the party steps on the space. This becames somewhat annoying while fighting the giant king.
6. This isn't so much a problem as a suggestion, but there aren't any rocks under the Blood Fortress. This became quite a challenge, as at first, I did not understand your lack of usefulness challenge. (Wouldn't giants' bones work too?) The suggestion would be to either use something already in the dungeon (such as the bones from the seplucher), or to provide a source of rocks somewhere, to make the problem a bit less... "crap, I can't find anything that works down here, what do i do now???"

Also, as a storyteller, I have an issue that I'd like to raise with you.
You never resolve the story behind Polonius's blessing, which is the almost central point of the scenario.

Depsite these, I found magus of cattalon to be a good scenario, and am looking forward to anything else you may produce.
-Lord Grimm

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has informed me that he has yet to play Magus of Cattalon, but will be doing so soon.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Lenar Labs:

4. You don't have any place where you can sell items.
There's a rancher in one of the earlier towns who buys your stuff after you find some cattle rustlers for him.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #19
I stand corrected.
Make that:
4. It is somewhat difficult to find a place to sell items.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin read the previous post and laughed at my incorrect observation.
Jerk.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #20
Nicothodes: Damned if i can think of anything to say about that. (Me so confused.)

Lenar Labs:
1. D'oh? (*See's the situation by himself*) D'oh!
2. Hmm... You're the only one who's had this problem. There's probably a messed up script that might cause that kind of thing but most certainly won't do it every time.
3. Alint couldn't find any problems with any of the outdoor scripts that have giant fights, so a little more help is needed in finding the problem.
4. In addition to the rancher, the innkeeper in Ferrow buys items. If you'd taken Adrian with you and talked to him in Ferrow, you'd know this.
5. See answer number one.
6. Bones are too frail, they'll break. You're right though. I did place quite a lot of rocks above the citadel, but I suppose I should put some rocks somewhere beneath the citadel as well.

Originally I planned to have Polonius' diary explain about the blessing or have the party talk to Polonius about the incident. but then I made Polonius want to ignore and forget everything about the screw-up. Even in the release version, though, talking to Polonius reveals that he did not mean to kill the children. What he was trying to do, though, I'll just leave that up to everyone's imagination.

--------------------
Get them here
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #21
I am having a problem with the scenario as well, a possible bug I suppose.

After finding the body of Polonius in that small village, I walk out of the warehouse and talk to the sergeant. After that I get whacked on the head and my game crashes and I have to start over from my last save.

No one else seems to have this problem, could it possibly be due to playing with a singleton?

EDIT: Slight typo.

[ Saturday, February 11, 2006 11:15: Message edited by: Commodore Redmark ]

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #22
Others, including yours truly, have experienced the problem. The solution is to remove a bit of code. Instructions here . (See Kelandon's post near the end.)
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #23
Smoo:

Ah, ok.

Thanks.

And again, great scenario!

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #24
Thank you for the link, and thank you Kelandon for the solution. It worked like a charm, a wonderful magical charm.

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.