Pretty little touches

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Pretty little touches
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #0
Just looking back through my scenario folder I was struck by how different the aesthetic styles of each of the authors are. For instance you have scenrios like Backwater Calls and parts of Bahssikava which are "Vogelian" in terms of the design of houses and towns but influenced by the personal choices of their different authors. Then TM's scenarios which are grandiose in terms of the scale and architecture of the buildings, monuments and dungeons in each scenario. And finally scenarios such as Druids of Kell which have beautifully designed towns and outdoors which like TM's show the potential of the editor.

I don't want to get into a debate over which of these scenarios is better but in terms of the desgin and architecture of all scenarios released, which do people regard highly?

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Hm... I'm somewhat biased towards DoK, but I am honestly proud of how my outdoors and towns looked. I thought they looked fantastic, in fact.

But excluding my own work, I think Bahss (closely followed by Emerald Mountain) has some of the best-looking towns, and that Mad Ambition has the best-looking outdoors.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
...I will not comment on Bahss, and especially not Mt. Gorvax.

This may be surprising, but I did not find Cresent Valley's town design to be unbearable. It's rife with things that are actually mistakes, but the towns in general actually manage to be cute in their own way.

APF had a very no-nonsense style of town design- it was perfunctory, but not entirely bereft of personality. Not exactly what Alcritas would do if he had the editor, but in that direction.

DoK had good outdoors and some very interesting town ideas. I'd have appreciated better dungeons, but what can you do.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #3
What I liked about Mad Ambition's outdoors is that it looked different. Despite all the pretty trees and such, DoK is still the same green grassy region that can be found in any other scenario. Of course the "tree house" of the druids looked unique and I liked that. Heck, even the starting town in ALR seemed fresh and therefore enjoyable, despite the overall mediocrity of the town design.

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens. Seriously, only discontent can result.

I haven't had the opportunity to try Druids of Krell due to lack of time, but I've played Bahs, Canopy, Emerald Mountain and most other stuff by TM. The design is stunning - I liked Emerald Mountain's use of height levels to create a kind of "perspective"; you really get the impression you're playing a 3d game and not some BoE port. Kel does the same in Bahs.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by NaNoWriMo:

Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Hello new signature!

[ Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:23: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
Just as a factual correction- bahssikava doesn't use height much at all. And- again, only speaking on a factual level- uses height nowhere even remotely as often as EM, C or MA.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
I bask in the prestige of being quoted in a signature.

Also, TM, nowhere near as much, true, but there *is* Mount Gorvax which you did not want to comment on.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
Yeah. Which is flat.

On level 1, the only times when height is varied are stairways, the "aerie" and that "demon invasion" diorama.
On level 2, there's the stairways, the waterfall, the platforms room... and a small hill in the corner of a room which the walls aren't adjusted for (whoops).
On level 3, there's the stairways, the ramp up to Golrthx's lair, and... Yeah, that's it.
There are single towns in Canopy that use more height than all three towns of that mountain. The Tiger Lair, for instance.

And of course, I could get into the non-height aesthetics of that dungeon... But nothing in all of BoA has yet to be as outright ugly as Galthox' final chamber. The pink and green is hideous enough, but the rainbow runes, golems (if you recruit them), Gethro himself and some of his lieutenants add so much more to the "effect".

But who am I kidding. Maybe Kel wanted to give us motive for beating the crap out of Gaxlath for making a room so ugly. And, truth be told, if that was his goal, then he succeeded magnificently.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #9
quote:
This may be surprising, but I did not find Cresent Valley's town design to be unbearable. It's rife with things that are actually mistakes, but the towns in general actually manage to be cute in their own way.

Yeah I was surprised at how much I liked them considering the rest of the scenario. I still want that hour of my life back though.

quote:
What I liked about Mad Ambition's outdoors is that it looked different. Despite all the pretty trees and such, DoK is still the same green grassy region that can be found in any other scenario.
I rate the outdoors very highly in Mad Ambition. I was actually pretty taken aback by how much the overall tone of the scenario changes with the colour of the landscape. One day I intend to steal this.

Although on the flip side scenarios with little in the way of town design like APF seem to trump most of the prettier ones in terms of plot.

[ Thursday, December 01, 2005 01:33: Message edited by: Poit ]

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Apprentice
Member # 6510
Profile #10
It´s true. That lair made the boring battle which I had to do so many times unbearable.
Was the architect stoned?