Bahsskava's story

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Bahsskava's story
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I played Bahsikava, but still things are not clear for me. How was it possible for the Bahsikavans to come to the guard post? By the cave quack? Then how was it possible that Legare and his followers didn't come with them?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

cave quack
Sorry, that's just a really funny mental image. (imagines ducks falling from the cave ceiling)

But seriously, they probably just didn't want to risk losing Legare once they realized that the guard post was deserted (and possibly dangerous).

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
(This is detailed mostly in the cut scene after beating Nolagh-Khar.)

During the cavequake, many tunnels closed or opened as dirt shifted. North Bahssikava was in part cut off from south Bahssikava, and south Bahssikava was opened up to the homeland, with complicated results.

The north Bahssikavans fled further north, rising through the tunnels and becoming Legare's Bahssikavans (until they were wiped out by the Empire later).

The south Bahssikavans faced the demons and either were killed and enslaved (as you find them in Bahs) or fled east through a newly-opened tunnel to the homeland — which didn't exist before the quake, which is why they didn't go before — and became (with the old Guardpost sliths) the sliths of Vasskolis.

Some of the tunnels you find in Bahs were walls before the cavequake, and some of the walls were tunnels before the cavequake.

EDIT: By the way, Thralni, Bahssikava has a double-S and an I. You have not succeeded yet in managing both of those features of the word. :P

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 14:07: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
I never could come up with a good mental-map of Bahs layout. The model helped somewhat but wasn't completely satisfying.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
Sorry, kelandon, I never manage to right it as it should be. The i was just a typo, because I write to fast. I never know if its one s or two, or one k or two. Oh well :rolleyes:

Anyhow, now that is cleared up (although it was exactly the cutscene after Nolagh kar that started to confuse me), I have another question. How come to the instant I landed at the north river bend (I mean were you first see the golems), all towns eemed to me hastily made? Everything just looked, sorry Kelandon, but it all looked almost awfull! For instance, the big gaps on the path were you fight the fire golems before you even cross the river, you can see right through the cliffs! Also, you have these hilly pathes, for example at mountain Glathrax, after you defeated the dragon, you decend that path after going through the secret door, it looks quite bad. I suppose you had to do it that way because of lack of space, but really, for somebody with your experience I didn't like the last half of the story.

Said that, I have the feeling I also have to say some good things.

The cutscenes end SFX were really stunning, in one word: fabulous, brilliant or fantastic. I never felt such relief and happiness with a scenario as when the steel doors opened. That was really a good job. I also liked it that you could get all these friend and alies on your way through Bahssikava (did I spell it right?).

That was all I have to say at this point.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
quote:

but really, for somebody with your experience
...what?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
quote:

How come to the instant I landed at the north river bend (I mean were you first see the golems), all towns eemed to me hastily made? Everything just looked, sorry Kelandon, but it all looked almost awfull!
Uh, Thralni... let's not forget that you have yet to release anything for BoA. Don't knock it until you've tried doing it yourself.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
quote:

How come to the instant I landed at the north river bend (I mean were you first see the golems), all towns eemed to me hastily made?
I don't know. They weren't hastily made. In fact, I spent more time on the North River/Mount Galthrax section than I did on the Nolagh-Khar section.

quote:
For instance, the big gaps on the path were you fight the fire golems before you even cross the river, you can see right through the cliffs!
I don't exactly know what you're talking about. There's a hill. You can see further up the hill. There are some, er, chasms, but they're not supposed to block your view.

quote:
Also, you have these hilly pathes, for example at mountain Glathrax, after you defeated the dragon, you decend that path after going through the secret door, it looks quite bad.
Again, I don't know what you don't like about it. Personal taste, I guess. TM has complained bitterly about the appearance of LP, but I like the appearance of LP, so I think this just goes to show that there's no one right answer here.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

[QUOTE]Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:
[qb]TM has complained bitterly about the appearance of LP, but I like the appearance of LP, so I think this just goes to show that there's no one right answer here.

Christ- two differing opinions does not equate to postmodernism.

Let me sum up his most relevant complaint: You cannot work with heights for crap. You will have the black and empty edges of cave hills protruding openly, your chasms use the wrong terrain type so cliffs don't show, your height use is staggered and unnatural, et cetera.

Look at EM, DoK or MA. Hell, look at Canopy if you want. Then look at LP. Note how the only person other than yourself to compliment LP's looks is your girlfriend.

Now, don't get me wrong. Crappy-looking scenarios can still be good (Tatterdemalion). But I would recommend making scenarios that look good, since it can be used to much greater effect that way.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #9
YAY!!!

Hey Thralni! I too noticed that the dragon area looked a lot different from the slith area.

But I figured that it was...

Kel was showing it as it would be built by dumb grunt golems that had been made by a dragon!!!!

Sliths built the rest of the caves, with their usual skill and care, but golems aren't skilled stonemasons and Kel hopefully showed that through his town-making.

I thought it didn't detract from the scenario that cliff walls were blank in places, it just didn't seem to matter when the story was so involved.

*this message sponsored by the view*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #10
What was wrong with LP. I see no real difference between it and MA. You both used the same editor so how could either be truly different?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

I see no real difference between it and MA. You both used the same editor so how could either be truly different?
Oh no... did you really just ask that?

(rechecks post)

Oh god.

(runs away before explosions start)

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #12
Kaboom!?

I finnaly returned from Oxford, and the concerts were quite succesful. We, the Trombones (oh ok, also the rest of the orchestra) played nicely and the audience was ecstatic. For now only this quick report.

Kelandon, I'm sorry if i give the impression that I hated Bahs. I found it the best I'v played so far and it really took me some time to find a scenario that looked and felt good. I guess I became spoiled after Bahs. Still, Maybe your right about personal tastes. Some things you would do different than me. For instance, again that pasage (which you didn't know what I were talking about: its the secret passage that lies in the place were you fight Galthrax about the place were Ithik appears and decends down and gets you out of the mountain, so you don't have to go throught the gate), you see these black gaps were the path decends one level. This, of course, is something with the graphics. Still I would have tried to make it so that you wouldn't see those gaps.

About hastily made, I mean the designing and not specials and cutscenes and story aspects. Th point were you sat down and began simply to design the town.

Its right that I still have to show my work, but I already made about 39 towns in my scenario, and all look very different. Without gaps and such, I mean. My taste is also probably different, which makes the towns also different.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
Ah, now I know to what you are referring. You're right; they don't bother me at all, but some people freak out about those black spots. Regardless, they're not likely to show up in future scenarios of mine, because I do towns in a completely different way now.

Again, I think we're just going to disagree about the "hastily made" part. I spent longer on Mount Galthrax than on any other three towns in the scenario, and I like the design. But again, I'm doing the towns for Exodus in a completely different way now, so there's probably no point in discussing this.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your scenario.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
In a completely different way, eh? You know that with that one sentence, you managed to make my day very good? I had an enormously irritating day, but with this news I can't stop smiling. I don't mean Bahsshikava was very badly designed, it just looked, well... hastily made. Oh god, I'll stop about it. Its getting irritating to read it all the time. Anyhow, although i really didn't like the designing, I did like to see how you made all the scripting and the special rectangles.

btw, I'm glad to see YOU of all people to write you are looking forward to see my scenario. I hope I wouldn't dissapoint you.

I'm now really looking forward to Exodus.

[ Monday, October 31, 2005 08:39: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #15
:mad: How DARE you idiots sling any kind of mud at Bahssikava and say it was Kelandon's fault, or accuse him of "hastily making" the first-place contest winning scenario on a grudge! Shame on you filth! Bahssikava rocks and will for all eternity! It makes Canopy look like Nephilim Mystery, TM!
:mad:

*chanting*
BAHSSIKAVA! BAHSSIKAVA! BAHSSIKAVA! BAHSSIKAVA! BAHSSIKAVA! BAHSSIKAVA! BAHSSIKAVA! BAHSSIKAVA! :D :D :D

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Neither did this thread need to be revived.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
Spider, this is getting annoying... please stop reviving threads just to fire up angry rants with no purpose.

In fact, please stop doing angry rants with no purpose. The Anama rants in particular are getting old...

--------------------