viruses?!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: viruses?!
Apprentice
Member # 6366
Profile #0
great. i went away for a weekend and my bf erased my demo and my saves. he says there were viruses that got downloaded with it. how likely is this? perhaps he just wanted to ruin my fun? considering i am marginally more computer literate than he is, i think he is full of it. what do you guys think?

i have never ever had a problem with viruses from spidweb, has anyone? should i email them? is the bf nuts? is downloading it again a very baaad idea?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
It's possible for any application to be infected with a virus. I find it highly unlikely that the source of that virus was SW, though. It's even more unlikely that your saved games could have been infected -- viruses normally only infect application programs. (And the most common malicious programs these days tend to be worms rather than viruses, and therefore don't infect other files at all.)

Even if somehow your copy of a SW game had become infected with a virus, redownloading should get you a clean copy. (Provided, of course, that the virus has been completely removed from your hard drive.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
I'm guessing that while you were gone, he thought of you and decided to get some extra work done. He scanned your computer for virii. The virus detector, in turn, noticed that your Spidweb game had been downloaded, automatically bumping up the alert level. In addition, it had created files, bumping up the alert level more.
He then mistook the detector's alert for something much more threatening and helpfully deleted your game.

At least, that's what I think happened. But then, it's a very unstable situation. It's also possible he tried playing and accidentally ruined your save. Then he tried to hide the evidence.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
Plus, if your copy is registered and he deleted the preferences, you can always email Jeff for another registered copy- he's actually fairly good about doing this for paying customers.
(Or, hell, ask someone online to bum you their copy. It's not like it'd be piracy at that point.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6366
Profile #4
thanks for your help, people. i am now downloading it again. it was just the demo, so i have not lost registration info... but argh nonetheless.
i think it is likely that the size bothered him, and also the suggestion that it had written files and made pathways or something is likely to have set him off about deleting it.
it is very unlikely that he opened it or tried to play it, but you never know. probably just ignorant and jealous that i was becoming addicted to a game rather than him.
after i download, i will scan the hell out of our ancient pc and prove to him it didn't download viruses, or lie if it did and delete them.
thanks again
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #5
What does bf mean. (I'm inexperienced with abbreviations.)

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 08:00: Message edited by: Omikron ]

--------------------
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul." -Sauron
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Boyfriend.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!