About abandoned scenaios...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: About abandoned scenaios...
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #0
I thought we should have a thread about this (don't know if there is one, haven't checked).

I'm curious about how many scenarios were never finished or abandoned half way through and the reasons why they were scraped. Also, if they have any towns, scripts or graphics they would like to share with other scenario designers.

I'll start...

1) I was expertimenting on a sea based scenario, like a pirate scenario if you will. I finished a nice town/ship, was a bit crude but worked nicely. In the end I got bored of the idea because it was too hard to make sea combat work in any convincing way. I still have about three towns, not counting the ship. Also I have some graphics for snow covered terrain.

2) Frustrated with my first attempt I decided to rescue one of the port cities I made in the previous scenario and make another experimental scenario based mainly inside the city. This one was working quite well (Like 8 graphics, 10 towns and some outdoor sections.) untill I noticed you can't have light effects on outdoor sections. DOH!. That did it for me. This port was in Aizo, no backwater little village, so there HAD to be light. This project is paused, not dead. I was thinking in an almost total remake of the scenario, with no outdoor sections at all, just jumping from one city to another...but I'm not so sure about that...

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
About that second idea, there were also questions about that. Somebody on one of this threads answered, that with the appropraite calls (which I don't know) you could change the floor graphics. If you could make two slightly light versions of the dark gras grpahic and change the grass graphics around and in the city to this lighter version by night time and then at day time chanmge it back, you have your light. Alternatively, you could, like in Geneforge, make no outdoors and put everything in towns (also like in Bahssikava).

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
I hate outdoor sections. Vengefully. Too uncontrolled. And scripting effects are much harder to enact outdoors.

EDIT: "Hate" is spelled with an "t".

[ Friday, October 14, 2005 13:19: Message edited by: Knot Eye ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #3
I was working on a scenario with my sister. She was doing town/outdoors designing(she was AMAZING-the world looked awesome) and we were both going to do story and scripting(me mostly on the scripting, because she has trouble thinking in that way). She was just finishing up the designing and it was all there, and we were about to start putting people and story in, and then her house got broken into and her laptop got stolen. She got really discouraged, and I'm not very good at designing towns and outdoors.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #4
Oh sh#t! :eek:

Is the police doing anything about it? Has he found any clues?

Thefts like that are kind of exotic here in Finland, I am not familiar with them.

--------------------
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul." -Sauron
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Omikron:

Is the police doing anything about it? Has he found any clues?
The police hasn't had a chance to deal with it yet. He's under a terrible amount of pressure, what with being a one-man show and all.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
That sucks. There are warnings all the time about not keeping your laptop unattended, but you can't really do anything to prevent a break-in theft. Except install a bigger lock on the door, perhaps.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #7
The police were idiots. They didn't really try to do anything, they just accused my sister's boyfriend, which is ridiculous. She got a new one.

--------------------

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

The police were idiots. They didn't really try to do anything, they just accused my sister's boyfriend, which is ridiculous. She got a new one.
New laptop, or new boyfriend?

(Not that there's a difference if your mind's sick enough ^_^)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #9
New laptop. And the laptop was in her house, right next to her bed, which she was sleping in at the time, which is kind of scary. The reason she didn't wake up was because she had mono and had taken medicine which put her to sleep.

--------------------

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie