Lag

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Lag
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #0
I've got an iBook, G3 500mhz.

And BoA lags incrdibly most of the time.

Sometimes it doesn't, and I can't quite figure out what makes the difference.

Sometimes, it'll be lagging after a restart, with no other programs running; and sometimes, I won't have restarted in a while and a bunch of programs will be running, but it won't be lagging... that's the exception, though.

If I play, I have to expect some lag at least. The degree of lag varies.

I know my computer's been needing a reformat for a good while, and a defrag couldn't hurt.

But I don't know where my utility and install discs are, and for the time being, I'm unable to backup my HD for lack of a burner.

I have two questions:

1) Has anybody else experienced this?

2) Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do to make it go faster?

My game's set on fast. I've recently turned off special effects and sounds, which helps a bit, but still... it's slower than it logically should be. It doesn't seem to me that BoA is a game which would require too much processing power.

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #1
When I went to Iran for the summer, my family's laptop became incredibly slow, with the processor operating at 100% capacity and no programs running. In the end, it turned out that the circuit rotation was different or some such nonsense; but by that time we had killed it and had to reinstall everything once we got back to the U.S.

Point of the story: are you using the computer in a different locale than the area you bought it from?

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 13:34: Message edited by: Knot Eye ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #2
Nope. :(

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Hm... wouldn't expect that from an iBook. I've got an 800Mhz G4 and BoA runs just fine...

Have you checked for potential viruses? A bit of a long shot since it's a Mac, but you never know.

Actually, I just remembered a similar problem my family had with an iMac (G4). Everything had suddenly slowed down incredibly, and we finally figured out that Virex had been constantly running exhaustive scans on our entire hard drive, and that was killing our RAM.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #4
Have you augmented the storage of the program?

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 14:49: Message edited by: spy.there ]

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #5
I use a fairly new 1.33GHz Powerbook, and BoA still moves very slowly on occasion. For a while I believed that the game was slower when I had the Editor open at the same time, since that seemed to be when it did it the most, but lately it just hasn't. The trouble does seem to be very erratic. I have noticed by using Activity Monitor that BoA (and the BoA Editor) are very processor intensive, and just gobble up any clock cycles that aren't being otherwise used; if only 10% of the processor time is available BoA runs just fine with that, but if 90% is available, BoA takes it even if it doesn't really need it.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
What scenarios are you playing? Death at Chapman's is notoriously laggy in one town because of a poor design decision related to AI scripting. You shouldn't be experiencing lag in most scenarios, though; if you are, that's unusual.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #7
Are you using Virtual Memory? Seems to me that if you are, and your drive needs defragging or is nearly full, this could significantly slow things down.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

What scenarios are you playing? Death at Chapman's is notoriously laggy in one town because of a poor design decision related to AI scripting. You shouldn't be experiencing lag in most scenarios, though; if you are, that's unusual.
That's exactly ehat I experienced with Death in Chapman's its good to hear that its not my computer's fault. My computer is a Imac G3 350 mHz. Therefor I find it strange that you experience problems. However, my mother recently had problems with her Emac G4, which suddenly became very slow. What system are you using? Mac OS X?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #9
I think that these problems aren't the fault of the computer, but Blades of Avernum. (No offense, Jeff! :) ) Similar problems occur with almost any program; the problems you described occured on Macs with 800 and 1330 MHz processors, but mine's only 450 MHz, and the game still works like a dream on it. I think that, if you are using new systems like Tiger, the source of Blades of Avernum hasn't got any info about these new systems and therefore is optimized for a different one. (I use Panther, but will upgrade to Tiger when I upgrade to a Mac Mini.) Or if Blades of Avernum has a timer to fix the fps, it might not be fully prepared to the GHz monsters.

Of course, all this COULD be a lie.

--------------------
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul." -Sauron
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Hm... wouldn't expect that from an iBook. I've got an 800Mhz G4 and BoA runs just fine...

Have you checked for potential viruses? A bit of a long shot since it's a Mac, but you never know.

Actually, I just remembered a similar problem my family had with an iMac (G4). Everything had suddenly slowed down incredibly, and we finally figured out that Virex had been constantly running exhaustive scans on our entire hard drive, and that was killing our RAM.

Haven't checked for viruses. I have a bootable Norton somewhere, but no clue where it is, so I can't.

I recently moved, so all my stuff's deep in boxes still... :mad:

I doubt it's a virus, though (never had one in my life), but it's still a possibility...

quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

Have you augmented the storage of the program?
I've looked into doing that, but I can't quite figure out how on OS X... :(

quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

I use a fairly new 1.33GHz Powerbook, and BoA still moves very slowly on occasion. For a while I believed that the game was slower when I had the Editor open at the same time, since that seemed to be when it did it the most, but lately it just hasn't. The trouble does seem to be very erratic. I have noticed by using Activity Monitor that BoA (and the BoA Editor) are very processor intensive, and just gobble up any clock cycles that aren't being otherwise used; if only 10% of the processor time is available BoA runs just fine with that, but if 90% is available, BoA takes it even if it doesn't really need it.
That's very weird!

I'll have to run Activity Monitor and see if it's doing that for me as well, would explain stuff.

Any idea what can be done about that?

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I'm playing ASR. Nothing weird.

quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

Are you using Virtual Memory? Seems to me that if you are, and your drive needs defragging or is nearly full, this could significantly slow things down.
To tell you the truth, I don't even know how to turn on virtual memory in OS X, or how to check if it's on. I checked the System Profiler, but it didn't say anything. If I do "About This Mac", though, the memory it says I have is my built-in... but I don't know if it would show virtual memory if it was turned on...

I have 1.55gb free of a 10gb HD. I threw away all I could recently (hoping it would help), but didn't do much difference.

quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

What system are you using? Mac OS X?
I know that question wasn't directed to me, but I'll answer anyways, for the record. ;)

OS X 10.2.8

quote:
Originally written by Omikron:

I think that these problems aren't the fault of the computer, but Blades of Avernum. (No offense, Jeff! :) ) Similar problems occur with almost any program; the problems you described occured on Macs with 800 and 1330 MHz processors, but mine's only 450 MHz, and the game still works like a dream on it. I think that, if you are using new systems like Tiger, the source of Blades of Avernum hasn't got any info about these new systems and therefore is optimized for a different one. (I use Panther, but will upgrade to Tiger when I upgrade to a Mac Mini.) Or if Blades of Avernum has a timer to fix the fps, it might not be fully prepared to the GHz monsters.

Of course, all this COULD be a lie.

Bah! :(

Any idea what I could do to help things run smoother?

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
My question was directed to you, Muji, but since you answered it, I wouldn't get annoyed :) .

The reason I wanted to know this, is that most questions that I saw here about lag, were mostly by people who used OS X. I wondered if it has to do with OS X, although it should be OS X native. I wonder, have you maybe tried to email Jeff? He may be of better help...

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #12
Ah, I see! Since you quote Thuryl, and were talking about Death at Chapman's, I thought maybe you were talking to him. :)

No, I haven't e-mailed Jeff... honestly, I hadn't even thought of it. I'd feel like I was bothering him for something minor. At least, I figured that the most logical course of action, as a first step, would be to ask on the boards... in case there was some simple answer, or some detail I hadn't considered.

When I finally get around to reformating my HD, if it's still lagging on a clean system, then perhaps I'll e-mail Jeff...

--------------------