Lord Putidus

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Lord Putidus
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #0
Something wrong with the prefab party. The mage and the priest could not cast spells - is that the writer's intention?
Posts: 266 | Registered: Wednesday, November 12 2003 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
This is intentional. It is set on historical Earth (where no magic could happen). Read the readme for details.

[ Monday, August 29, 2005 17:02: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Well, there is magic in LP. It's just that the party can't use it. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #3
If ye can't live without magic, you can always cheat and boost the magic skills with the character editor. Of course, as always, you're on your own.

--------------------
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul." -Sauron
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #4
I am finding this ludicrously hard - impossible, in fact, with the pre-fab party. I can stay alive through the first battle (four wolves/two worgs) but not through the second (bears/worgs).

How did others get through? I used up my health potions in the first one, now even using speed and strengh in the second I cannot keep my party alive.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Use the haste potions as soon as possible (distribute one to each of your party members) and make good use of the pila.

And be aware that you can gather potions in outdoor mode if you're not in combat — get more health potions and distribute them as needed.

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:00: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Don't be afraid to run away from outdoor fights. Oh, and remember that you can actually drink haste potions outdoors, just before a fight starts.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #7
I like to do things right, so I used a pre fab party and was stunned that mage and priest are really no use. I couldn't survive the first battle and that rather dispirited me from the beginning despite my thinking that it is low level scenario.

It is just not logical that the party would have the members with natural mage trait but without spell. Is it the oversight of the scenario maker? Why not give the players four fighters then if no spell is expected to be used?

(grumble grumble grumble....)

Sorry if this has been discussed before. It is just that I am not an expert in playing avernum/exile episodes and get frustrated when things just go astray without good reasons. I never play hard mode or with high level party. Naturally, I like to stick with low level scenarios for fun so I expect somewhat easy though bits by bits more challenging as the game advances.

One more complaint about this game - At the inn, the man wouldn't leave the room, so I really can't steal anything. Is it an intention to teach the players to be good and not go stealing around? :D

I would think that all things are put in the scenarios with a purpose - either as a quest or for the party's use, except for some scene decorators like bones, rocks, etc.

What is the use for the food that you couldn't have them?
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #8
If the crime tolerance is 2, you should be able to nab one item out from plain sight before the law (and the wrath of God, in this scenario) strikes you down.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Dragongirl:

I like to do things right, so I used a pre fab party and was stunned that mage and priest are really no use. I couldn't survive the first battle and that rather dispirited me from the beginning despite my thinking that it is low level scenario.
The reason that you couldn't survive the first battle is that you didn't use the mage and the priest. The reason that they're there is that they have different abilities now — you get a melee fighter, a melee/javelin thrower, a first aid expert, and a pure javelin thrower. They don't use spells anymore, but if you fail to use their new abilities, expect to die over and over again.

Personally, I liked to switch the third and fourth characters and use the first character primarily as a melee figher and the second and (now) third as javelin throwers, with the fourth stepping in to do healing whenever needed. I didn't find the fights very hard when I did this.

Also, low-level scenarios are not necessarily easier, nor are they supposed to be.
quote:
It is just not logical that the party would have the members with natural mage trait but without spell. Is it the oversight of the scenario maker?
No — you're not really supposed to gain levels in this scenario, so it shouldn't matter much. I didn't want to muck with the party's traits, since you're not forced to use the pre-fab, and I didn't want to screw up someone's party more than I had to. If you don't like it, you don't have to have it.
quote:
Why not give the players four fighters then if no spell is expected to be used?
You can use any party you like. If you think it would be easier with four fighters, make a four-fighters party and try it. I think you'll get killed immediately, because the javelin-throwers and first aid person are very useful, but it's up to you.
quote:
I would think that all things are put in the scenarios with a purpose - either as a quest or for the party's use, except for some scene decorators like bones, rocks, etc.
Most items in my scenarios are for decoration, not for use.

[ Wednesday, September 07, 2005 06:23: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6278
Profile Homepage #10
I liked it.

I usually play high level and torture difficulty, but was intrigued by the vampire-thing. So I abandoned my favourite "Lets kick ass"-Party in some inn to get plastered and played it with a freshly fabricated newbie-party.

Yes, I found it irritating not to have my mage wiping everything with fireballs. Yes, I had also forgotten how tedious first aid can be without healing spells.

But I never had such an adept javelin thrower, and it made me appreciate my domestic Priest and her bag of spells in other scenarios much more. Up to then I just kinda saw her as a mobile medical kit that gets dragged along at the back, to patch up the rest of the party after a fight and who gets any spare items dumped in her pack.

I especially liked Lucretia - I actually reloaded the game several times, just to see what she'd do if I said different things.

No levels to be gained - so what?

Thanks for a fun afternoon :)

--------------------
I outnumbered them one to thirty!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #11
I think I will try the scenario again then. The given reviews seem positive so I will need to be more open-minded (and possibly a better player)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #12
I am out of pilum by the time I reach the bats. Is there any suggestion for survival other than running away?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
If you can't win a random wandering encounter without using up too many of your non-renewable resources (first aid kits and pila), running away is just the sensible thing to do.

If you feel you absolutely must fight a particular battle, well, rely on potions first and foremost, since you can get those back after the battle. Try and manoeuvre your party so nobody is getting attacked by more than one monster at a time.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
Also you can buy pila in Timoria.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #15
I have to agree with Laurana. It was an afternoon well spent whilst playing the game. My favourite quick to beat scenario.