Ghostly Bracelet

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Ghostly Bracelet
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #0
I am starting again at the beginning, with Valley of Dying Things, to build a new party for some of the new scenarios. (My old save files got messed up.)

I have completed the main task and all the side quests, but there is one special artifact I cannot find this time - the Ghostly Bracelet. I'm fairly compulsive about checking all the nooks and crannies, and I know I found it the last time I played, but I can't seem to find it this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--------------------
Lucidus
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #1
Why don't you just download Kel's High Level Party Maker? Compulsions aside, it would save you a bunch of time creating a party for higher-level scenarios.

[ Wednesday, July 13, 2005 09:51: Message edited by: Drew ]
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #2
I have the HLPM (and every other scenario available, I think), but I really prefer a party built up through the combat and encounters in the various scenarios. For one thing, you have opportunities for training, and then there are the special items.

I know - you can do all this with the HLPM and Artifacts Hall and the Character Editor, if you want to, but I don't find that interesting or rewarding. I enjoy being compulsive, and that's probably what I like about Spiderweb games.

--------------------
Lucidus
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #3
It's probably not cool to keep replying to my own question, but for further information: I talked to the ghost in the hidden stone circle, after I cleaned up the waste depository. He said something about the dead laid to rest, but he didn't drop anything, as I expected. Did I miss something? Is there any way to redo this encounter? I'm just trying to figure out how this works, but I don't know the scripting language.

--------------------
Lucidus
Lifecrafter
Member # 54
Profile #4
If I'm reading the scripts correctly, you need to kill that ghost to get the Ghostly Bracelet. It's not easy, and you aren't given that option if you approach it after ending the curse.

(692)
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #5
Well, you certainly aren't given that option when you approach it before ending the curse, either. When you first come upon the ghost, you are given the choice of leaving it alone, or approaching. If you approach, it tells you to leave it alone, and your only choice is to do so. How are you supposed to trigger a fight? I don't think you are correct, but thanks for trying.

--------------------
Lucidus
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Seletine's always correct. In this case, he only has half the answer, though.

You have to approach the ghost before ending the curse and you have to fight and kill it. The thing is, you have to have done something elsewhere to make it angry, or else it won't give you the option of attacking it. I'm trying to track down what these SDFs mean, and I'll edit my post or post again once I've figured it out.

EDIT: Okay, I see. You have to attempt to trap several other ghosts throughout the outdoors. Find the ghost wandering around northeast of Blinlock — it should run away from you, but not very far. It'll pop up a dialog; choose to "Trap it." It will shriek and go away.

Then find the shade in the forest northeast of Pangle. Do the same thing.

Finally, find the shade, uh, kind of across the river from the ruined city west of Sweetgrove. This should be east of the second shade. This one will flee you completely, not necessarily staying within bounds. Trap it again.

Once you've tried to trap all three shades, go back to the ghost in the stone circle and choose to fight it. When you kill it, enter the stone circle, and choose to take the item.

After all that, you should get the Ghostly Bracelet.

[ Thursday, July 14, 2005 16:39: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #7
And here I was thinking that they were all the same shade, just wandering all around the map. What are the odds of someone doing exactly this without figuring it out from the script? But it's good to have a definitive answer - thanks, Kelandon.

--------------------
Lucidus
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #8
However - I tried this, and there is still something I am missing. I trapped all three wandering ghosts, then talked to the ghost in the circle, and attacked him. That is a very tough battle for a low level party! After he was dead, and I ended the fight, I got a message that there was something shiny in the circle, but I couldn't figure out any way to get it. I couldn't enter the circle; looking and getting didn't do anything. Is there a trick?

--------------------
Lucidus
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
Oh. Hah. That's kinda funny. The special rectangle you have to enter in order to trigger the dialog to take the item is placed on a stone circle, but stone circles have full move blocks.

In other words, you have to enter the stone circle in order to get the Ghostly Bracelet, but it's impossible to enter the stone circle.

As far as I can tell, this was an oversight on Jeff's part.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #10
That... is just evil. Jeff has fallen to the dark side and all hope is lost. Now there is only despair.
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #11
I think it's hilarious - it has obviously been like this since BoA was released, but apparently no-one has noticed it before. It took Artifacts Hall (thanks, TM) and an anal-retentive noobie like me to bring it to the attention of you other experts. (And so much for thinking I got it the last time I played the scenario.) This reminds me of that locked door on the Administration level - do you think it was an oversight, or (as Hectonkhyres suggests) truly wicked?

--------------------
Lucidus
Apprentice
Member # 4288
Profile #12
to take the ghostly bracelet ...
move around towards the back of the stone circle, this will trigger the dialog box

EDIT: I've tried this again and after you solve the valleys poisons you can still get the bracelet without fighting the shade (plus 100 xp)> IMO this is a far better option as if you fight it you will probably lose about 100 xp because the spirit drains you every time it hits :mad:

[ Wednesday, July 20, 2005 13:17: Message edited by: Roganth ]

--------------------
culpam poena premit comes
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #13
That is very interesting, Roganth. Neither of those things worked for me, and I tried repeatedly. I approached the circle from all sides after defeating the ghost, and nothing happened. The first time through, when I approached the ghost again after solving the poison problem, I guess I expected the bracelet as a reward. While I got a dialog saying that the souls were now free (or something to that effect), there was no reward and no XP bonus. Why would it be different for you, do you think?

--------------------
Lucidus
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
I can't see, looking at the scripts, how either of Roganth's methods would work. How do you enter a space with a full move block?

Roganth, are you on a Mac or a PC? What version of BoA are you using?

Lucidus, same questions to you.

[ Thursday, July 21, 2005 16:57: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4288
Profile #15
I am on a PC I don't know what version of BoA

I didn't at any time enter the stone circle, the dialog box is generated, from adjacent the rear of the stone circle.

I don't know anything about scripts I just created a character and did it both ways, after I killed the spirit my character moved around to the back of the circle and triggered the dialog box.

not worth the invincibility potion

EDIT: I did it again and the dialog box was triggered from south of the stone circle after defeating the ghost whether you walk clockwise of anticlockwise.

"There is something shiny in the grass in the circle. You investigate and find a thin, gold bracelet. It may be your imagination, but you think that, if you concentrate, you can see through the metal."

[ Thursday, July 21, 2005 18:15: Message edited by: Roganth ]

--------------------
culpam poena premit comes
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
I'm trying to check if the Windows version of VoDT got modified so that the special rectangle extends another square south. I'm going to another computer to look.

EDIT: Success! Win-VoDT has a second special rectangle, one square south of the stone circle. My Mac-VoDT doesn't have that square, and a new download from SW shows that the current version of Mac-VoDT doesn't have it either.

In other words, PC users can get this item, but Mac users have to add a second rectangle in the editor. This is definitely a bug.

[ Thursday, July 21, 2005 18:15: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #17
And yes, Kelandon, as you have already realized, I am on a Mac. I have BoA v1.1.2; I don't know how to tell what version of the scenario I am playing. I got the dialog Roganth quoted, about something shiny in the circle, but then couldn't pick it up.

What about getting it as a reward after cleaning up the source of the poison? Is this another thing that works only on PCs?

--------------------
Lucidus
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
Oh, yes, um, duh. I don't know why I didn't see this before. If you've set flag (1,9) — which I think means having cleaned up the source of the poisons — then you can just approach the shade and get his blessing rather than fighting him.

But you still can't get the Ghostly Bracelet, except on a PC.

EDIT: Yes, flag (1,9) gets set when you activate the machinery in Major Waste. So if you've cleaned up the poisons, you can just talk to him.

EDIT 2: Incidentally, if you want to fix your copy of VoDT, open it up in the scenario editor and find outdoor section (0,0) in the far northwest. Find the coordinates (7,45) — just south of the stone circle — and place a blue special encounter rectangle there using the dot tool. Tell it to call state 30. This fixes the problem.

[ Thursday, July 21, 2005 20:28: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------