"A Large Rebellion" Questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: "A Large Rebellion" Questions
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #0
Okay, I just started out the "A Large Rebellion" scenairo and I talked to some Orge who said to meet him by the docks. I did that and I got a message saying that there was "...ERROR: Missing line 90..." The scene never activated and my computer crashed. I downloaded this scenairo for the Mac, so maybe someone has experienced this problem as well?

I'm guessing this bug only occurs for Macs and not Windows, hence this scenairo is the only one not rated yet.

Also, when you get the orb unlocked by the Naga, where do you go next? The Naga's lair? If it's the Naga's lair, how do you solve the laser/mirror puzzle?

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:21: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
For anyone who can't tell (I couldn't), the scenario in question is A Large Rebellion.

And virtually no bugs in BoA show up only on a Mac.

But anyway, whew! Alint pops up a host of errors for ALR. The designer really ought to clean up the scripts.

And are you sure it was a "missing line 90" error, and not a "missing semi-colon in line 90" or something of that nature?

EDIT: Assuming you're talking about town 0, the offending line is line 90, where the call this_char_is_in_party is used. That call doesn't take arguments, and it can only be used in a creature script. What he intended was character_in_party, not this_char_is_in_party.

If you want to fix it yourself, open the script t0nout.txt and find line 90, which current reads:
if (this_char_is_in_party(1226)) Replace that with this line:
if (character_in_party(1226)) I think that should fix the problem.

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:11: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5657
Profile #2
I have a question... how does one detonate the explosives in the mine infested by ogres? A little help would be greatly appreciated :D .
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #3
Speaking of that mine, I'm stuck at that part too.

Oh, does anyone know the point of the Naga lair with the mirrors and all?

I gave that Drake that Toy Bat and got some boat, that had no relative use in the plot, as I got stuck in a 4 space river.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Apprentice
Member # 5657
Profile #4
Same thing happened to me in the Naga lair. I was able to paddle the boat "around" the automap up until my position indicator had hit my first party member's profile. Then, sadly, I couldn't even redock because there wasn't enough space for my party at the dock.

This scenario, as far as I'm concerned, is so riddled with bugs that it's almost unplayable. I enter towns, and get the description of the town when I leave it. In the big town (whose name eludes me), I move to the west part of town, only to appear immediately in the westmost part of the west segment, instead of the eastmost part as I should. I've had a plethora of errors crop up as well.

Even Valley of the Undead had less errors than this. This scenario has potential and were it not for the bugs, it might be brilliant, but as it currently stands, I give up.

Oh... and, as a pet peeve, the spelling is atrocious. It's "extinct", not "extingt".
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #5
It's just the bugs that get you stuck in certain areas of towns and maps that forces you to reload is what makes the experience frustrating.

The scenairo isn't bad as a whole, but it needs serious work, especially in plot development, as you're clueless on where to go half the time.

More than likely, the scenairo designer would release a new bug free patch in the near future, since a lot of people who have or are playing this scenairo would have similar complaints about the bugs.

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 19:04: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by vorpal:

I have a question... how does one detonate the explosives in the mine infested by ogres? A little help would be greatly appreciated :D .
You have to go somewhere to learn about the explosions first. It's on an island and you must hire somebody in Alexandra to bring you with his ship. Sorry, I don't remember his name. Talk to everybody, it's probably a man in an inn.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
In western Alexandria there is a man in the inn (SE corner) who will transport you in his boat to the place that teaches you the ritual.

*this message has been sponsored by the anderson locked doors company*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #8
It sounds like you have begun to hate my work. It is bug-infested, but with patience the bugs should all be zapped to ashes.
PS: It is barely possible that you might not have got the latest update. If you've got it, then my scenario really is only a hive of bugs.

[ Friday, July 15, 2005 03:37: Message edited by: Omikron ]

--------------------
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul." -Sauron
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #9
The bug which occurs when entering west Alexandra is one that I have tried to fix many times, but I haven't had success. This is not the only strange bug in the scenario. I am currently working hard on fixing these.

--------------------
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul." -Sauron
Apprentice
Member # 5657
Profile #10
I don't hate your work at all, and I apologize if that's the sentiment I portrayed! I'm just a little frustrated by the bugs, and I suspect that it should have gone through a little more beta testing before being released to the official BOA download scenarios board - especially if you want a high rating, because once the scenario does have the bugs hammered out, I think that it will be quite good from what I've seen.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
Omikron...

I'm bad about getting newer versions, so I'm not sure if you repaired the door.txt file yet.

Line 185(ish) has an extra right bracket.

It caused an error when I was in the bandit fort trying to cast unlock on the door opposite the barracks door.

*this message signifies that i finally finished alr*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #12
That is good to hear, Vorpal. But I must admit that most of the bugs were mere mistakes by me and not misunderstandings on use of code (like making a terrain script for staircases that carry one to the next level). As long as it is buggy, nobody will be able to submit real reviews. But with your help, this scenario will someday be bug-free.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #13
I am going to try staying BAK, and I am planning on sending an update today. However, when I've sent it may take while until it becomes available since I haven't got software to make the scenario Windows-compatible, so I think that M.Krizsan will have to do that before putting out the link to the update. Also, I am using a free e-mail addy with a cache of only 2 Mb and will thus have to use my dad's commercial addy to send in the update. More delay, sorry if you're impatient! The question is: Will M.Krizsan stay BAK and put out links for the update.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #14
And, Vorpal, the next update has officially been beta-tested by my little brother and several bugs got killed. Also several which you (and others like Jumping Salmon) told me about. Let's just hope that M.Krizsan and dad aren't too impatient now that I am going to send in more updates. (My dad tends to not like it when I hang around here and keep uploading and downloading stuff. We are still using a modem.)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #15
I heard that you don't like the plot because you aren't told exactly where you need to go and what you're supposed to do. My mistake. I will try modifying the dialogue strings a little. However, one situation in which you really don't know where to go is put in the game on purpose. I have included hints for that situation in the next update.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Just so you know, you can edit your previous posts instead of posting replies.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #17
I know, but I like more just writing down what I plan to say and next time I come up with something I just put a new message. These messages are, I think, more like text bubbles and not actual letters. Of course, if the keepers of the server are having trouble with memory, I will try getting rid of my style.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #18
:) Let a rising author of quality scenarios have his feasibility to augment his postcount.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Apprentice
Member # 3920
Profile Homepage #19
Well this is frustrating....I have found the secret entrance behind the Moose Inn (very beggining of the game), but for some reason, whenever I try to talk to ANYTHING in the prison room, BOA crashes!! No error msg, just "Unexpectedly Quit"; with, of course, the "submit to Apple" button which I highly doubt will solve much :P .

I will add to the bug comment: Sick Styck can be killed too easily--I had to remove my weapon so I could do the right amount of dmg so he'd (it??) fly on the roof and drop the earings. Oh well..I figured it out; the real bug comes in that you can GET to the slug without needing the Pond. Just walk around the pond!

--------------------
"I am not stubborn, your just stupid."
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #20
SpineRaker, you just made bugs get killed. Thanks. But what I don't understand is that there is a code block in the death state that makes Stikk fly and you gave me the image that there wouldn't be one or that the specific one would not trigger.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #21
Also, you're not supposed to get into the prison. I wrote the code fairly quick, and I should have used set_terrain instead of put_object_on_space. The vahnatai there tend to be spies who collect organic materia for shaping purposes, but mainly they are there to reflect a joke of one of the blacksmiths who knows about the tunnel.

--------------------