BIG Bug in "Special Skills"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: BIG Bug in "Special Skills"
Apprentice
Member # 5202
Profile #0
i'm sure many of you have noticed but i don't think i've ever seen a post about it!

Whenever you want a special skill and you need per example 8 dexterity and you reach those 8 not by increasing by training but by a trait per example, you don't unluck the special skill so if you keep gaining dexterity till you reach more and more you still have to train at least one point to unlock. the same goes for other "similar" reasons that end up summoning the same bug. Why isn't this fixed? I really like "The trait that gives us lots of bonus but i don't remember the name" but due to that my damned game is full of these bugs which in time i'll have to use some precious skill points in strenght and dextery just to unlock special skills! (and that trait gives me extra strenght and dextery after every 8 levels so it's quite a waste)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
This isn't a bug. It's how the special skill system was intended to work. To be able to train in special skills, you have to spend skill points on the requirements -- skill bonuses from traits and items don't count.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5202
Profile #2
hummm i don't agree with that then but i guess that was up to Jeff ;)
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #3
You'll find that most of them arn't even worth training in but I find that it's a good addition.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #4
They are worth training, because while they basically duplicate the effects of other skills, raising them a point (at least at first) is cheaper than raising the higher duplicated skill.

Example: Doorknob the Fighter has an 8 in melee weapons and is elligible to purchase Blademaster. Raising both skills would increase his effective melee weapon damage by one level. However, going from level 0 to level 1 in Blademaster is far cheaper than advancing melee from 8 to 9.

Of course, considering that character likely never uses pole weapons, I'm not sure if after purchasing six levels in the requisite skill would make the cheaper Blademaster skill that much more of a bargain.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
I actually did the numbers on it at one point. Depending on how soon you want your investment to pay off, it makes sense to start investing in Pole Weapons and try for Blademaster as soon as you reach 14 points in Melee Weapons (or vice versa).

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 20:44: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!