How about the ability to rob shop keepers?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How about the ability to rob shop keepers?
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #0
I think it would be nice if there was some way to steal the inventory from shopkeepers. If you don't have those 2000 gold coins to buy a knowledge brew why not just steal it from the shop keeper? Of course if you get caught the town will be made angry. Maybe have a stealing skill, or if you don't want to do that base the success probability on another skill like tool use or dexterity. Also it would be fun to be able to pick townspeople's pockets so you could get thier stuff without killing them.
Warrior
Member # 2627
Profile Homepage #1
I think that altough it is a good idea, it is a bit over the top detail wise. (Ok, anyone who has played metal gear solid 2 will agree that it is the champion of over the top detail.)

--------------------
formally Brenitt-Ihrno

I'm a very irregular poster, don't mind me.

Join me, people

NFC FOREVER!!!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
Exile seems to assume that the party fights for good and nothing else. :P
Apprentice
Member # 2552
Profile #3
quote:
Originally posted by Kennedy:
I think it would be nice if there was some way to steal the inventory from shopkeepers ... Also it would be fun to be able to pick townspeople's pockets so you could get thier stuff without killing them.
These are great ideas!! I don't think that they are too detailed... I dont think an RPG could get too detailed. An old game called Daggerfall, for example, has these abilities. I highly recomend Daggerfall to any RPGer, it has a whole lot of character depth that makes it one of my favorite games of all time.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
Actually, I'm sure that an astute designer could easily fit that into dialogue options:

1 - "What merchandise do you have here?"
2 - "Is it hard work?"
3 - (attempt to rob shopkeeper)

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #5
Yea, you don't have to get Jeff to put that in, scenario designers can do that themselves. Simple, effective dialouge strings are all you needs.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2189
Profile #6
quote:
Originally posted by EEP_Karzoth:
.. effective dialouge strings are all you needs.
I think there's more included than just that..

personally I don't like the idea, it's simply useless. Might make game too easy, and if there's too many features around, it means more bugs etc..

I think the Avernum's are great the way they are :/
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
Err, he's saying that you're capable of using stuff that WILL be provided to implement it into your own scenarios if you choose to do so.
Apprentice
Member # 2787
Profile #8
Maybe the best idea would be splitting trade window into "Buy" and "Steal". In first, clicked item will be bought, in second cheracter with highest stealing skill will try to steal it. Of course, large and encumbering items would be harder to steal.

PS Sorry for mistakes, if there are any : :cool: )

--------------------
mastering knowledge of Avernum :)
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #9
I can steal items in A1 just fine.

There is plenty of merchandise that is just sitting there in barrels and boxes, waiting to be moved to a secluded spot where 'WHAM!', I steal it.

People need to make plenty of items in boxes and barrels in order to give the most realistic (from an Exile-reality view) stealing.

I also wish that boxes and barrels would ignore the presence of a special, that way we could use barrels and boxes to a great effect in mafia-style thefts.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck