Use of Nethergate graphics in "Blades of Avernum"?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Use of Nethergate graphics in "Blades of Avernum"?
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #0
I was looking through the Nethergate graphics files and noticed that they seam to be the same size as the Avernum files in terms of dimensions. So it shouldn't be to dificult to make use of the graphics in a "Blades of Avernum" scenerio. Of course you would have to rework the graphics for the characetr sitting down. On possible option for this would be to not include the chair graphic in the graphics of the seated character. Instead the program would simply draw the character on top of the chair if they were facing South or East or draw the chair on top of the character if they were facing North or West. This would then allow for multiple chair graphics.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Nethergate graphics are actually identical to Avernum graphics, since the Avernum engine is simply the Nethergate engine enhanced a bit. Most of the graphics from Nethergate have also already appeared in Avernum, although one or two items and a handful of monsters, particularly humanans and sidhe, could be transferred.

—Alorael, who still thinks the Nethergate/A1 goblins are better than A2/A3 goblins. Goblins were never meant to be red. Green or peach, yes, but not red.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #2
The graphics for your PCs are different, as are the death-graphics. I have already put a few Nethergate graphics in Avernum 2. They work, but it's difficult to draw the sitting poses.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #3
Question about the chair graphics for PCs - It appears to me that all PC graphics I've seen so far use the default chair provided in A3. But what if you decide to use a different type of chair? Is there a way around including the chair itself in the PC graphic, as Kennedy suggests?

If not, it will look quite strange when your custom chair morphs into the default A3 chair every time your character sits!

"We all carry our own chairs!" the PCs shout!

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #4
I'm fairly sure the monster/NPC/PC images are the last things added to each tile, so if you just provide a sitting graphic without the chair - i.e. a character sitting on nothing, it won't show up right when the character is facing north or west. (Assuming I remember which direction is where correctly - if not, that should be north and east) But if drawn with the chair space simply left blank, provided the custom chair doesn't deviate too greatly from the default, it should work.

This won't work so well with PC graphics, since the provided graphics will probably include the default chair. Only thing I can think of to deal with that is to ask players not to use the default PC graphics in scenarios including custom chairs.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #5
All the custom chairs in the Avernum series (like thrones) are either impassable terrain (like trees, rocks) or possibly (although I don't think this is ever the case), passable terrain (like bushes etc.)

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #6
Also, you'll need to redo the death animations because in Nethergate it just shows a single frame of them dying. And IMO, goblins look really lame in Nethergate and A1.

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
BoE Posse
Member # 2475
Profile Homepage #7
Do you HAVE to redo the death poses? Like, will it not work if you use Nethergate graphics the way they are?

--------------------
http://members.aol.com/risberg/blades/

Eternity approaches.
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #8
Probably will work, you just won't get a good death animation. You will have to move the outdoor images to the correct position.
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #9
Well, I suppose you could just do little copying and pasting instead of messing with the death animations.

[ Saturday, April 12, 2003 08:28: Message edited by: Jawaj ]

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.