LP Nethergate graphics

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: LP Nethergate graphics
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
I'm making a (probably) final update to LP, at least the last one for a while, and I have made a set of PC graphics based off of the Nethergate ones. I could insert them in the scenario so that the party (for the duration of the scenario) turns into Roman warriors. This sounds neat, right?

Well, there's one issue: the change doesn't take effect immediately. Apparently you have to go back to the main menu and reload the game (or quit and reload, etc) in order for the graphics to start functioning.

Also, I can't make the faces change; I can get the walking graphics and the full-body graphics to change, but I can't change the faces short of asking the players to alter the core files, which I'm not going to do (although I could mention that it could be done, explain how, and provide the graphic in order to do it).

The question, then, is whether I should in fact do this, or whether it would be too annoying.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 27 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=tuRHSHjqBIcy"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=tuRHSHjqBIcy"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
I hope you also realize that everyone hates your use of graphics in Castle Putrid, and your outdoors isn't much better.
If you want to stick with 'em both, go ahead, but...

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
TM, note the last thing I said to you on these boards about my scenarios.

EDIT: Okay, given that the response so far has been overwhelmingly positive, I'm going to do it.

[ Tuesday, April 12, 2005 15:07: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #3
wow I just love watching the simmering sexual tension beween you two.

But in all seriousness I though LP had fine graphics and outdoors already so this can only make it better.

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #4
Love the idea of taking the BOA engine into a new world. New opportunities for interesting storylines and scenario dynamics (i.e., no magic creates new fight dynamics).

So, if you're going into new worlds, for sure a new look on the party.

I'm currently coding a scenario to take place in Hugh's mansion (Hefner that is). Everyone's in thongs and mono-kini's (women) or full blown tuxedos (the guys, they have dignity and self respect).

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by the fatman:

I'm currently coding a scenario to take place in Hugh's mansion (Hefner that is). Everyone's in thongs and mono-kini's (women) or full blown tuxedos (the guys, they have dignity and self respect).
I cannot help but think this is a reference to a certain other topic on this forum.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #6
I am attempting to spread mayhem throughout the SW world.

Reality: no new scenario from me, but I am looking forward to more scenarios in Rome.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Poit:

wow I just love watching the simmering sexual tension beween you two.
Thanks for that mental image. :D

I haven't played LP, but concerning graphics:

I just noticed that the grey rock graphic you used in Bahssikava (my very own one :) ) displays messily on PCs, as the white background is non-transparent in places, surrounding it with a nasty haze of white pixels...

This weekend, I'll see if I can submit a fixed graphic to the Louvre, and you can update Bahssikava with that if you want. :)

[ Thursday, April 14, 2005 10:20: Message edited by: Annuit Coeptis ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
For the record, a fairly substantial number of graphics are pretty badly screwed up and required editing of some kind before they could be used. So no worries -- it seems to happen a lot.

And a fixed graphic would be much appreciated.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #9
TM: The only issue I had with LP was the raping of all spells & co. ... That just pissed me off, I play all scenarios with the same party, be them 1-5 or 800-1000.

Meh, editor magic can't give you spells past lvl 5 >_<

Edit: stupid, stupid me went off topic

I voted yes, Most of the original stuff you try works out well kel, so hey, why not.

[ Thursday, April 14, 2005 15:53: Message edited by: Midknight Warrior ]
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
For the record, in the new version (hoping for a release this weekend, but who knows), skills and spells will be restored at the end of the scenario. I still think it's unnecessary, but enough players have complained that I'm going to do it anyway.

[ Thursday, April 14, 2005 15:58: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #11
I'd just like to remind you that it's *utterly and completely unnessecary* to remove Mage Spells and Priest Spells (the attributes). All you have to do is remove the characters' knowledge of spells, and they will be unable to cast them.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
I did this for a reason.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
More specifically, a party that's simply had its spells removed is a hell of a lot more gimped than one that's had its spells replaced with weapon skills. :P

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #14
I really enjoyed the atmosphere in LP. So yeah do it Kelandon!

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
New version of LP released. Nethergate PC graphics have been implemented, but it turns out that this feature totally fails to work on Windows, so I just included the graphics, gave instructions how to insert them, and leave it up to the player to do so if desired.

I also added that the party's original spells and skills are restored at the end of the scenario, and I fixed one or two bugs.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #16
kel there is a glitch in the download sit
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
Oops, fixed.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #18
You could use an installer for your scenario. One that would backup replaced files. Then, when uninstalling, it would put the backuped files back. You could give two options: install the basic scenario and install the graphically enhanced scenario (so that people don't have to delete your scenario when they want to the default BoA's graphics back).

EDIT: Humm... I only know some PC shareware installers, but there might be some for Mac, I guess.

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 01:36: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
Kel, slight problem -- the prefab party mentioned in the readme isn't actually included. (Admittedly I was only looking for it because I wanted to see if and how you'd decided to translate "Ssschah" into Latin, but never mind that. :P )

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
Thuryl: Oops. Well, I'll fix that soon. I'm assuming the instructions are not so complicated that this will hamper anyone's playing experience.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #21
Umbratium uses wallset 514. Destroyed Umbratium uses wallset 600. And, um, Monster is a bit mundane of a name. -_- Daemon actually is latin, or you could also use Monstrum.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Papa Donatus II:

Umbratium uses wallset 514. Destroyed Umbratium uses wallset 600.
Oops again. Funny that no one has pointed that out yet, since it's been true since the beginning. Oh well, new version coming soon.

quote:
Originally written by Papa Donatus II:

And, um, Monster is a bit mundane of a name. -_- Daemon actually is latin, or you could also use Monstrum.
"Daemon" actually is Greek originally, and I don't want to use either a Greek or a Latin word for the monsters. They're just unspecified monsters.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #23
You're less-than-EMing it (ie, height goofups) at (27,3), (33,8), (41,13), (38,21), (15,29) and (15,12) of South Ateria.

The four towers outside of Umbratium should probably be one height level HIGHER than they are, so that the ugly blackness of the hills doesn't show up. (You can put walkway floors beneath 'em too if you want.)

Plus, the outdoors are sparse- not that it isn't by design, but since there are so few houses in Umbratium, shouldn't there be some surrounding it? At least some evidence of previous inhabitants.

Meanwhile, you seem to be oblivious to the purpose of terrain 1's existence- it's Blackness. Meaning that it's opaque and black. Put it by stairways or ramps instead of walls.

On the ramp out of Ateria, the road is on grass.

There's some Less-Than-EMing in the basement of Tarquin. (ie, the transition area)

Tarquin's basement is RIFE with misuses of Luz' mosaic floors- look over the corners of the floors carefully. (It would help if you used the fl_ed_which_icon and the icons she provides on her site)
http://es.geocities.com/falcata2/BoApics/Floors.html

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
No, no, no, I suppose, yes, no, no.

Your comments would be a lot more effective if they were less insulting.

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 17:11: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------