method of registratrion

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: method of registratrion
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #0
Often, when you register a game from spiderweb that is only available on CD (like Nethergate), you're given instructions on how to acquire the full version of the game before getting the CD. I imagine it'll be the same for BoA.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
BOA will be more than, overly, completly, entirely, likly be distributed on CD. If there is an alternate means for special reasons, I don't know. I'm not entirely sure either why you can't just have one version, and a key to unlock it. Maybe it doesn't work well with the scenario editor? Who knows? Well Jeff does, but that's beside the point. Point is, if you want BOA, risk it on your current CD-ROM drive. If you lied and just said it didn't "work well", which actually meant that you didn't have one... then well... that sucks for you.

Or just buy a new drive! I'm sure BOA will be worth it! Hey, BOE is still in its prime of play, though it will be cut short by BOA. I'm positive it WOULD HAVE been continued to be played for years to come... but BOA is killing it off.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
What they're both trying to say is that there will be a downloadable version for people that register.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
I am? I mean... I AM!

Wait so if you register, you'll have a special download of the full version? Dandy! But we'll still get it on CD, too, I hope.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #5
All spiderweb games are available on CD, so obviously BoA will be as well, if you so wish

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
Haha Jigga you just made me feel stupid. I completely forgot you could get any game on disc. Well I just feel dumb... Ok disregard any I say from this day foward! If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go unregister from these forums...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #8
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be patronising or anything

[ Thursday, January 23, 2003 12:21: Message edited by: Jigga ]

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
Oh I know, you just stated the obvious that I seemed to have forgotten...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 1980
Profile Homepage #10
I reckon it would be a better idea if you could just get it on cd because there are cracks for each one of spiderwebs code games so if Jeff wanted to make a bit more money, that would be the way. You could also make it so you need a registration code for the product on cd, then it wouldnt be disributed on programs like KaZaA.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
If a game has a registration code, someone will find a way to hack it or generate the right code for every number.

If the game is either a demo or the full version, the full version will be put online somewhere.

If the game can only be registered by getting the full version on a CD and then entering the password, someone will upload the full version and a hack or number generator.

There's no way to completely eliminate software piracy, so Jeff might as well take an option that minimizes it and isn't much of a pain for his real customers.

—Alorael, who thinks many people would be disappointed to have to wait for a CD to arrive. They'd rather download the game and be registered only a day or two after sending their registration.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #12
Except me, because I have a really slow internet connection.

--------------------
DONOR Fat Freddys Drop
Shirow Miwa
Infiltrator
Member # 444
Profile Homepage #13
I just hope that the CD will co-operate on both platforms.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
The Mac CD is usually cross-platform, but I can't say the same for the PC CDs.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 48
Profile #15
quote:
Originally posted by Alorael:
If the game can only be registered by getting the full version on a CD and then entering the password, someone will upload the full version and a hack or number generator.
That's true, but one can add one more defense: Modify the program so that the algorithm of the serial number changes periodically (users of full version must connect to the internet periodically to get the new registration code in order for the program to continue running).

--------------------
"Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing.-Luke 23:34
Warrior
Member # 1980
Profile Homepage #16
1. That would be a lot of coding for Jeff
2. People would still find a way to hack it