Other Realms in Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Other Realms in Avernum
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

There is no real worldly religion, since it's obvious that a god will work through whoever decides to call him (priest spells). The Anama and Church of Divine Lucre are the most widespread, at least on Valorim.
This is the reason why I have the theory that "priest spells" are not actually induced by a God, since this God would have to be completely apathetic to what his/her powers are being used for. Rather, they could be projections of belief, ie. the priest believes in a divine power so strongly that this alone is sufficient for him to work certain miracles/spells.

And actually, since that question arose, there is one god that I have seen mentioned. His name is Karrunos, and he is the god of the Hunt. The wand of Karrunos is named after him (learned from some sage in one of the Avernum games).

quote:

In Canopy, you can summon angels...
Barring certain vague hints TM's alter ego (Emery) made within the scenario, I don't believe Canopy is strictly speaking part of Ermarian. Or is it?

[ Monday, March 21, 2005 06:59: Message edited by: I'm Late, I'm Late, For ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #26
I can think of two ways magical energy is used. Either it is channeled from an outside source-- a god, higher power, underlying order in the universe, etc.-- which the character fervently believes in. (priestly magic.)

Fervent belief is the key. In Avernum this can be anything-- Church of the Divine Lucre, Temple of the Sacred Item, Slith Ancestral God, etc.

Or the underlying magical order is shaped and focused outside the body through meditation, study, ritualistic chanting,etc. (wizardly magic).

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #27
Oops. Sorry double post.

[ Monday, March 21, 2005 07:13: Message edited by: Lord Baron Von Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Apprentice
Member # 5627
Profile #28
Priest Spells are an extreme projection of the Placebo effect, if you ask me. Or just part of Magic that works differently because the priests think it should.

Someone said that there are no ancient human ruins in Avernum, but in A1 there's an ancient human tomb north of Formello that opens on the first of something.

And in the BOA scenario where you go through the underground river - you know the one I mean, it comes with BOA, taking wands to a fort, the Something Run... Anywho, when the Liche sends you down to the Very Deep Caves, complete with demons and Nightcrawlers (possibly worshipping the demons?), there's a portal that leads straight into Hell.
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #29
Not to mention the ruins you decide to ignore in E3/A3 by a river north of fort emergence (You stumble upon a broken ruined city, then realize what it is. It's a city of mystery of some other age you'll never learn about. You leave.) or something like that.

Since E1 we've been told Sss-Thss was a worshipper of (a) dark god(s). This is reiterated in basshikava when you're shown how they are banished from the slith homeland for worshipping dark gods and being a pain in the ass. Then there's the big-ass spell they cast to try to rape the steel doors open where it's mentioned that they invoke every god they could think of, including several dark ones. Not to mention the fact that the prophet spent 20 years fasting and meditating and was then contacted by a godess who instructed him to do what he did.

I don't think demons are from some other planet, rather, they're from somewhere near the center of the earth. They don't climb up to kick out asses because they don't want to. period. They think it's fun, so they run through the portals when one opens, but they wouldn't go through the trouble of mounting a full-scale invasion because they have better things to do.

Now about magic, Priest spells can't be gained through strong belief in something, rather, doing a determined set of stuff does a certain effect (Oh great gods in the sky, channel through me the power to remove this grievous wound from my companion).
Mage spells are the same, do this, get that, shout the magic words and fiery lances will pierce your enemies, shout another set and a strong bunch of guys will come to your aid. Another thhing that proves that there are gods is the ritual of sanctification and the natural mage trait. To banish dark energies you need good energies. Guess who lends you them two. The natural mage trait is the best proof there is. The favor of the gods is something that can be gained by being good with a god in another life (or something, but it's granted by a god, so shut up).

Undead are simple to explain: You die, and before you can go to the afterlife your soul (or whatever) is caught by a necromancer or some other powerful mage, who then performs the necessary rituals to bind you to him. physical undead (zombies) are just animated corpses. either that or they have the t-virus ;) . Why would a necro want to do this?
A)It's more necro-like
B)necros tend to be solitary-type
C)enslaving humans would bring the attention of the empire, more so than practicing dark arts. And the fact that they wouldn't fight for you if the empire tried to nab your ass.
D) Humans are just stupid, undead can follow orders.

There it is.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5512
Profile #30
If i ever continue to work on my scenario (which is of course, always in doubt :P ) it explores other realms. We know that mages are always experimenting with portals. thats how they found avernum/exile. Erika did it to get assasins to hawthorne, the destroyed the tower of the magi with one... you know the deal. So on that logical note, maybe they will find portals to other worlds (ala riftwar, the series, or stargate the tv show). Thats what Plateues is supposed to start to explore. of course i may never finish it and join the black hole of unfinished scenarios... dun dun duh!

--------------------
Gir! What did you do with the Guidance chip?

I took it out to make room for the CUPCAKE!!!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Lynkfox:

If i ever continue to work on my scenario (which is of course, always in doubt :P ) it explores other realms. We know that mages are always experimenting with portals. thats how they found avernum/exile. Erika did it to get assasins to hawthorne, the destroyed the tower of the magi with one... you know the deal. So on that logical note, maybe they will find portals to other worlds (ala riftwar, the series, or stargate the tv show). Thats what Plateues is supposed to start to explore. of course i may never finish it and join the black hole of unfinished scenarios... dun dun duh!
Don't steal my scenario idea. :P

I am working on one exactly like that... original...

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #32
Riddle of the Spheres, one of the first significant BoE scenarios ever released, beat you both to it, I'm afraid. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #33
Terrible...I read roughly the first ten posts then gave up...picking apart things kinda ruins em ya know?

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.

Pages