Your Favorite Small Details In A Scenario

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Your Favorite Small Details In A Scenario
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #0
There are numerous small details in scenarios that make them better (or worse). They often get carried over between scenarios. What are your favorites in the scenarios you have played so far?

Some of my favorites are:

1) The chess playing ghasts in Cave of No Return.
2) The dog in Backwater Calls. Also the herbal tea in Backwater Calls.
3) The hidden mithril in Canopy.
4) Calling the friendly ghost in Basshikava Kassper.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
I'm afraid I have to take credit for #4. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #2
My favorite thing was the inevitable death in the ending of Canopy.

EDIT: Changed a word.

[ Sunday, March 06, 2005 05:14: Message edited by: Millicent, Dear Millicent ]

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
Xerch'de/Rate.
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #3
as far as minor details are concerned... I enjoy when there is a lot of realism in a scenario. Examples include, boxes and chests that are not only just there, but actually contain items (as frivilous as the items may be. Also i despise when there are many bookshelfs in which only one contains anything.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #4
The dog in Backwater Calls. That was cool.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 4265
Profile #5
I loved Khassper's name. I also like Machrone. He's the only NPC(to my knowledge) that has been carried over to multiple scenarios.

--------------------
"The Fate of Norns awaits us all." -Amon Amarth
Apprentice
Member # 5578
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by aliklik:

as far as minor details are concerned... I enjoy when there is a lot of realism in a scenario. Examples include, boxes and chests that are not only just there, but actually contain items (as frivilous as the items may be. Also i despise when there are many bookshelfs in which only one contains anything.
Agreed. The best way to make a scenario realistic is to include those little things, like trash in crates or "useless" NPCs, that don't serve any real game purpose but still are fun when you find them. Characters that are mainly there for comic relief and that, if you take the initiative to talk to them, award you with a joke or something, are my favorite "details" in scenarios.

--------------------
What kind of idiot quotes himself?
My kind of idiot!

"As to newbie questions, they will always exist. They always have existed. They will never stop existing, failing total destruction of the Universe. No, not just the world. If any newbies survived the destruction of the world, they would be asking "wy cant i breeth in teh space??!/1/!?!/!!" Only destruction of the Universe will totally get rid of Newbie Questions.
So deal with it."

It's the Axial Tilt, Stupid! -Douglas Adams
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #7
I like when I find bread in the oven.

[ Monday, March 07, 2005 19:25: Message edited by: Dolphin ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #8
FFS can you look in the ovens. I didnt now that.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #9
yeah, try it.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #10
I believe I only play BoA/BoE for the purposes of enjoying my time analyzing building architecture.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Warrior
Member # 5322
Profile #11
played the AC-trilogy scenarios (BoE)? gosh, some of the places are beeeaaautifuuul. :-)

and to answer the original question, i share the views of a couple of people above. filled chests, decorated houses, ordinary townsfolk willing to talk to me (and by that, i mean that they're interesting to talk with, instead of just being there for the sake of being there)..

those things, among a few others, make the towns in BoX come so much more alive in the player's eyes. :-)

[ Tuesday, March 08, 2005 08:49: Message edited by: cradial- ]
Apprentice
Member # 3676
Profile #12
I like doing the bounce the laser beams with mirrors thing.

--------------------
The living are important.
The dead, to be remembered.
Apprentice
Member # 5578
Profile #13
Oh, I never realized ovens were searchable either! I guess I'll have to implement that in a frustrating and/or humorous way in my scenario. You will never look at ovens in the same way again. :cool:

--------------------
My kind of idiot!

"As to newbie questions, they will always exist. They always have existed. They will never stop existing, failing total destruction of the Universe. No, not just the world. If any newbies survived the destruction of the world, they would be asking "wy cant i breeth in teh space??!/1/!?!/!!" Only destruction of the Universe will totally get rid of Newbie Questions.
So deal with it."

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #14
lol somebody should put a human head in the oven. Not a goblin oven either it should be in the kings oven.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5578
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

lol somebody should put a human head in the oven. Not a goblin oven either it should be in the kings oven.
This demonstrates the reason why I think a smilie raising one eyebrow should be included with every type of boards software. ;)

--------------------
My kind of idiot!

So deal with it."

Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by His Toastliness:

... The dog in Backwater Calls. Also the herbal tea in Backwater Calls. ...
Which dog in BC? Did I miss something?

^_^ Backwater calls has a lot of funny details: the sick man who - as soon as he's in good health - starts drinking and scuffle again, the exploding Kenny, the pet-snail ...

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #17
When you first start Backwater Calls there is a fenced in area with a doghouse. You can pet the dog, or give it a piece of steak.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #18
You can give it steak? I hate sigmund so watch what a total git. I just had to kill him. :P

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #19
I would like to put a pie in the oven.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #20
I love side quests, the more the merrier I am. Also what has already been mentioned in regards to containers, etc. I also like quests that don't have a clear cut ending, but add to the mystery of the story. Maybe it will be something that the designer will refer again in a future scenario, or maybe it is something that is happening in the world, apart from the main story line, but the players don't really need (or have the time) to find out more about it because it would take them into a completely different story line.

I'd love to see a zombie come out of an oven eating himself. Desperation, I suppose, can also strike zombies and turn them into cannibals.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #21
Summarizing the details so far.

1) Chess playing ghasts.

2)Dog in backwater calls. I think people like pets in a scenario. There are some other examples, wizards familiar, talking sheep, etc.

3) Herbal tea in backwater calls. Unique items that complete a quest.

4) Hidden mithril in Canopy.

5) Kassper the slith in Bahssikava.-- Unique or humourous things about a NPC.

6)Full boxes and chests. Little items in them like garbage or tools.

7) Bookshelves with stuff in them. No big sets of empty bookshelves.

8) Machrone. NPC's that can be carried over between scenarios.

9) Useless NPC's that have humorous or interesting things about them.

10) Bread in the oven. I think people like to find different things in containers.

11) Laser puzzles. Having to move around lasers or barrels to finish puzzles.

12) A wide variety of sidequests and little extras to do.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by His Toastliness:

When you first start Backwater Calls there is a fenced in area with a doghouse. You can pet the dog, or give it a piece of steak.
Oh, that dog. Well ... I was not impressed so much since I met several talking cats in Avernum (e.g. cheeseball in A2).

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?