Idea - 'Cutscenes'

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Idea - 'Cutscenes'
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #0
Remember when you'd start a game of the three Avernums (or, indeed, Exile III, now that I think about it)? They'd often begin with a little 'cutscene'...the bit where the letters pop up telling you that Avernum is the underworld, or where it replays the death of Hawthorne, or whatever.

I think it would be painfully cool if we could make those in Blades of Avernum.

I can picture something that would let us do this. After all, the cutscenes are basically smaller game windows that act out a certain pattern and have little letters above them. Since movement in Avernum is by little squares, we could move units and such by just, well, clicking the unit and clicking the direction. If you want to move a different unit at the same time, move the time slider back a notch and move _him_.

We can place text in spots. Designing the terrain would be just like designing it in the Blades of Avernum scenario editor, except confined to a smaller area. We could have totally black screens, or insert a custom image. And maybe even sound effects!

This would be _such_ a better way to introduce the story of a new scenario, advance the plot, and all that than a readme file. :P
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #1
I'm not sure about animated cutscenes, but Jeff has said that we probably will be include static (non-animated) pictures.

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
You can make mini-movies in BoE. The same should be possible in BoA.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #3
And it'll probably be alot easier, considering you could call a script that just moves the coordinates of certain monsters (I think you can do that, but if not, its definately possible to flip the terrain lots, as in the door script). I dunno whether delays will be in the scripter though, I think they are in GF, but thats real time (ish), so it might not be in BoA

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
Good, cuz I had an idea to make a starting cutscene of a rather large war. ALSO, can we put these cutscenes anywhere in the game? Like say, you just destroyed an evil, magical tower, and instead of making the player find an exit and escape, you show a cutscene of them getting crushed but miraculasly(sp) just push the rubble off of them, getting away with minor scratches. And when the cutscene is over, you transport them to right outside what is now a large, burning pile of rubble. Bad idea, good idea? Or better yet, even possible?

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Possible, yes. Personally, I favor a timer on the collapsing and then trying to get out before it collapses.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Warrior
Member # 1427
Profile #6
I'd love to have a Vahnatai leap and do that matrix spin around thing. It would be possible, just by editing terrain to give the impression of turning.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
You'd need to make a floor with Vahnatai (at different angles) in order for that to work.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Depending on BoA's terrain slot limitations and the speed of monsters appearing and disappearing, it might be easier to make a series of monsters with graphics of a vahnatai from different angles. Have one scripted event do something along the lines of place monster, play a sound, delete monster, place a new monster with the rotated picture, repeat several times.

—Alorael, who actually doesn't know how feasible it is to make a movie where your party escapes from a crumbling tower. PC's are the hardest thing to manipulate in BoE, and it's probably the same in BoA. You can't easily move them, you can't easily hide them, and you can't change their pictures.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
You can hide PCs - stoning is your friend.

--------------------
====
====
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #10
No no no, when "moving" them, you are just teleporting them to X,Y,Z. And Draky is right, it would probably be more fun for the group to find a way out, with either a timer or Quickfire behind them.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
I doubt there will be a way in BoA to separate party members. You can move them, but only if you still want them in a perfect line.

—Alorael, who supposes BoA could also hide PC's behind very tall monsters or terrain that has a graphic just like what would be visible if the PC's weren't there.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #12
Actually, no one ever said anything about splitting the party up... and one other thing: whats the point in hiding the PCs? I didn't catch that (or it never came around)

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #13
Making PCs dissapear is useful if you want to show a cutscene which doesn't involve them (see the Spears intro for a good example).

Would the stoning trick actually work in BoA? I always assumed that it was almost a bug in BoE, and in BoA it might give game over straight after everyone is stoned.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
You need to unstone them before the chain finishes, but it's fine otherwise. Stone, Move, Unstone works fine.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 1892
Profile #15
quote:
Originally posted by Drakefyre:
You can make mini-movies in BoE. The same should be possible in BoA.
How?

--------------------
One more time,
For old times sake,
The Hammer will come
To Make Spammers Shake.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
There are several techniques. The basic one is to make frames and transport the party from town to town with stairway nodes in one big chain.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 2181
Profile #17
So how did Jeff do it with E3? The beginnig cutscene didn't had a party and the people fought.

--------------------
I will avenge my father . . . someday . . . for I can harm and heal.

I can also set people in fire...

Did I ever told you I married Kyhar? She is, however, too freakin' old!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #18
I'm fairly certain that was specially programmed. Notice that there was no menu or the like when that was going on (and, for that matter, that it looped infinitely).
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
You can do that in BoE too ... it just takes a big graphics file. You can hide the party by stoning them.

--------------------
====
====
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
You can do that in BoE too ... it just takes a big graphics file. You can hide the party by stoning them.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
Double post from Drakey!

If you tell the player which graphics to use for their PC's and how many to use, you can make monsters with the same graphics to use as the party's stunt doubles after you hide them for cinematics.

—Alorael, who now sees another reason why Jeff's expansion of the town limit in BoA is nice. You can have 100 towns and still have 100 extra towns to use as frames in cinematics.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
For a long movie, you only need 10-15 towns. That means you can have lots of long movies!

That double post was not my fault.

--------------------
====
====
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #23
OH SURE!! lol... anyways, how hard is it gunna be to make a movie? I've never made one, and knowing myself, I'm gunna try to make a long one and never finish. Well unless it's really simple that is.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
It's a lot of work to make a movie, but it's not impossible. It just takes diligence and attention to detail.

—Alorael, who unfortunately lacks both. And he also seems to have no better luck in completing movies than in completing scenarios.

Pages