The full version of SubTerra

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The full version of SubTerra
Apprentice
Member # 4954
Profile #0
I understand Crystal Shard has now made SubTerra freeware, but I can't seem to find the full version anywere.

Thanks.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #1
Eh? Freeware?
Apprentice
Member # 4954
Profile #2
It's not? It said so at the end of the review here .
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #3
"Exciting and relaxing at the same time, SubTerra is guaranteed to provide you with many hours of pure enjoyment and fine entertainment, enhancing your ability to project, to solve problems, to create your own treasure hunt. With so many levels, you will never be stuck in a dead end, and there are so many different types of level that you're bound to be good at some of them! The game is produced by Crystal Shard, a small Dutch firm, and can be downloaded from the official site as well as here. Formerly shareware, the now-free registered version gives you you access to all 50 as well as all the downloadable expansions. Don't lose this chance of sheer enjoyment! SubTerra is NEAT!"

All 50?
Besides, if it was suddenly released as freeware, someone would say in this forum.

[ Saturday, September 11, 2004 19:08: Message edited by: The Stew Boy ]
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #4
Well, I was considering making it freeware since Spiderweb decided to focus on their core business (e.g. Jeff's RPGs, since distributing other peoples' games didn't turn out too well).
However, it appears that HOTU doesn't want to host it. That's a shame, since my own webpage isn't particularly stable (nor has it high enough bandwidth).

--------------------
Pieter Simoons, aka Radiant

Official Crystal Shard and SubTerra webpage
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Radiant:

Well, I was considering making it freeware since Spiderweb decided to focus on their core business (e.g. Jeff's RPGs, since distributing other peoples' games didn't turn out too well).
However, it appears that HOTU doesn't want to host it. That's a shame, since my own webpage isn't particularly stable (nor has it high enough bandwidth).

Depends how big the file is... SOme places allow you to host files and stuff for unlimited bandwidth. I know for sure that AOL has a 2 MB free fttp thing. Anyone with a space like that could host it. (I would if it wasn't over 2 MBs).

- Archmagi Micael

Oh, also, change the link in your sig, it doesn't exist anymore...

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Apprentice
Member # 4960
Profile #6
> Well, I was considering making it freeware since Spiderweb decided to focus on their core business (e.g. Jeff's RPGs, since distributing other peoples' games didn't turn out too well).

Why not just release a free registration number, so that everyone can access the registered SubTerra, just by downloading the demo from Spiderweb Software and entering the riegister code?

Sorry if there's a good reason not to do so.
BANNED
Member # 4943
Profile #7
This is just some guy talking, not anyone who knows why. But, if the registration process is anything like spiderwebs, then every game has a different registration code. What you could do however is allow people to get the game, and simply put a preference file somewhere that people might actually know about and visit. Or at least make sure people find out about it.

Edit: and the registration code for it of course

[ Monday, September 13, 2004 21:02: Message edited by: SmirfOfDoom ]

--------------------
I start this off, without any words.
I got so high, I scratched till I bled.
Love myself, better then you.
I know it's wrong, so what should I do?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by SmirfOfDoom:

This is just some guy talking, not anyone who knows why. But, if the registration process is anything like spiderwebs, then every game has a different registration code. What you could do however is allow people to get the game, and simply put a preference file somewhere that people might actually know about and visit. Or at least make sure people find out about it.

Edit: and the registration code for it of course

If needed I could host the Registered Subterra Pref Files. Anyone with a registered version can send it to me, or anything. (I'm not asking for a code, since I already have it!!!).

But it's up to Radiant!

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #9
The game generates a new code on every computer. So I can't give out 'the key' because there is no 'the key'.
Also the game is over 6 megs in size, so AOL and Geocities and stuff don't cover it. I want a good host for it.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

The game generates a new code on every computer. So I can't give out 'the key' because there is no 'the key'.
Also the game is over 6 megs in size, so AOL and Geocities and stuff don't cover it. I want a good host for it.

6MBs? I suppose I could host it, maybe. I'll have it up if I can. Is that okay? Just Email it to Micael456 @ aol.com (REMOVE THE SPACES FOR ADDRESS). Or just tell me, and I'll see if I can find the disk, but you emailing it would be easier! {uploadisniceandbig}

[ Wednesday, September 15, 2004 00:34: Message edited by: Archmagi Micael ]

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #11
No, if I put it anywhere I want it on a well-known gaming site, otherwise nobody would be able to find it. But thanks anyway.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #12
quote:

No, if I put it anywhere I want it on a well-known gaming site, otherwise nobody would be able to find it. But thanks anyway.
All I have to do is put the file up, then you can have the links from the sites go to there. Also, you don't have a website yourself. Anyway, do you mind if I put it up anyway, since it's freeware?

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4960
Profile #13
*Bump* Radiant didn't answer Micael's question, or suggestion.
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #14
Like I said, if I put it anywhere I want it on a well-known gaming site, otherwise nobody would be able to find it.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4960
Profile #15
But, you could simply put links to it from Spiderweb or your own site (or anywhere else), even if the file were actually on someone else's webspace. People could still find it easily.
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #16
No, that's exactly the point. I don't currently /have/ a website (and please don't go recommending free ones, I'm well aware of that and most have serious bandwidth restrictions) and Spiderweb no longer officially supports SubTerra since they're focusing on RPGs.

The thing is that I love this game after all these years, and I want it to be spread across the world somehow. That's what I'm trying to accomplish. And putting it on some backwater site with a link here (which quite frankly is not a heavily crowded forum, even if they're very nice people here) just won't cut it.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #17
I think that the point that was trying to be made, was that if you have the link directly to the zip, you can put it on as popular a site as you want, while it's actually hosted on say, Micael's webspace.

In that case, the Underdogs would probably be quite happy to have it linked from their database, other sites too. The advantages being, that it's on a high-profile site and good for them because they don't have to use their bandwith and webspace on any more than reviews and a link to the zip.

Think about it.
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #18
Well, why don't you go to The Underdogs and ask them to please host it again. They have no problems with bandwidth, so that could hardly be the reason.

Virtually all high-profile sites actually host games themselves, and don't use links to off-site people. If I were to put it on Micael's page, I would have to be convinced first that HE doesn't have bandwidth restrictions (because most personal pages do) and that he would be sticking around for the next five years at least. That's why I want a high-profile site.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4960
Profile #19
I'm surprised; it says SubTerra's free here, too.

A lot of people (even prominent web sites) seem to have gotten misinformation about it.
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #20
No it doesn't, it says the game is $25.00 (which is outdated by a year and a half, at least).

Look, it's very simple. SubTerra is going to be a free download if and only if I can find a prominent server such as HOTU that will host it.

HOTU hosted SubTerra for a couple of weeks and then dropped it for reasons unknown to me (I've asked the owner but got no response, maybe if someone else asks as well we would get an answer). I assume that several other sites got the data from HOTU, which is exactly the kind of publicity I'd like.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4960
Profile #21
Well, I sent an email to HoTU, myself, regarding SubTerra, so I suppose I'll see if they respond.

Thanks for all your info, Radiant, despite my stubborn stupidity. ;)
Warrior
Member # 2128
Profile #22
*sigh*

I'd love to play the full version, its a really cool game