A Trip to the Confessional

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Trip to the Confessional
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #25
We have nowhere else to talk about Homeland. Doesn't this mean something? Why do people keep talking about it? I've only ever looked at its screenshots, and they were wretched enough. But I've suffered a lot more vicariously, through reading others complain about it. Why not just let it go, put the past behind us, and walk on into the bright, Homeland-free future?

I guess the fear lingers. At least in the US there is a federal department to protect us from Homeland. Perhaps once the rest of the world catches up in this respect, the human race will be able to move on together.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #26
I refuse Homeland will not be forgotten.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 19:54: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #27
Icshi's fervor has inspired me to download the Galactic Core demo! I must see how a game can produce such strong emotions solely based on the fact of how bad it is! :rolleyes:

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 20:39: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Slp006:

Icshi's fervor has inspired me to download the Galactic Core demo! I must see how a game can produce such strong emotions solely based on the fact of how bad it is! :rolleyes:
It's not a bad game exactly, just not a good one. It's cotton candy, mindless fun, and a guilty pleasure. Don't expect much and you won't be disapponited. And it was only $15 for Zarquon's sake! I had meals that cost more and didn't give me as much pleasure, and they certainly didn't last as long either.

However, it's become trendy to bash it, though, and most people who bash it have never played it but are basing their opinions on what's been said about it. I applaud your courage!

Remember, you're trying it for free, so if you end up hating it please don't take it out on me! I may be misguided, but I'm innocent. I'm not laying snares for the unwary, I merely express my dubious tastes so that all may have some poor wretch to look down on in pity... Does wonders for their self-esteem, you know. Lord knows they need it! :P
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #29
Even though I only get ten turns (erf. I was just getting the hang of killing things too), from what I can tell, it's actually...okay.
I like it. It reminds me (to a fault, actually) of the Master of Orion games except more...primitive. I happen to be one of those rare types who is willing to quickly forsake challenge in a game for the sheer pleasure of sating my inner megalomaniac, so I think GC and I are a good match. And why not? 15 bucks is pretty cheap... :D
I think you've made a convert out of me. ring the bells.

EDIT: Is there any way I can register it? It seems like I'll have to send Jeff a special e-mail.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 21:20: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #30
quote:

I happen to be one of those rare types who is willing to quickly forsake challenge in a game for the sheer pleasure of sating my inner megalomaniac, so I think GC and I are a good match.
You've hit the nail right on the head. That's exactly what Galactic Core is all about! The game's tag line should've be "Conquering the galaxy has never been easier... or as much fun!"

I enjoy the Master of Orion games (the first two, anyway, never played the third), but they were very complex and it took forever to learn all the ins and outs, to get up to a level where I could even play a half-decent game. This complexity makes for longer-lasting and repeated gameplay, but it also fills up a lot of memory (both harddrive space and RAM) in my poor, poor little skull. GC is perfect for a quick fix of devastation, when you feel like being all-powerful without putting any actual effort into it.

Did I say it was the cotton candy of strategy games? Nay, 'tis the opium of strategy games...

I'm glad you find GC more than just "bearable"! :)
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #31
I tried Galactic Core and, were it not for that stupid Brady Bill waiting period, would have proceeded to purchase a gun and blast myself into sweet, sweet oblivion... An oblivion without GC....

GC may be a mind-numbingly easy and silly game, but the music isn't as bad as it sounds.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #32
Nuff of this jibba-jabba.

Make me RWG mod.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Marx' Martyr:

Nuff of this jibba-jabba.

Make me RWG mod.

In your dreams...

Is GC anything like Space Empires? If you're on a slow connection download SEIII. SEIV Gold is good as well, but I'm just waiting for SEV!

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by Zorro:

the music isn't as bad as it sounds.
And those Tardanian ships aren't as ugly as they look! :P

But seriously, the music is kinda nice. Just don't do what I did, and play GC for five straight hours. The <dum-dum-dum, dum-dum-dum... BRUM-BRUM-BRUM-BRUM!!! dum-dum-dum..., dum-dum-dum...> music on the ship-building screen alone will kill you after prolonged exposure.

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

(Just for the record, I did a five-hour binge of GC only once, shortly after I registered it. I learned my lesson and shall never do it again—I spent three weeks in rehab and had to appear before a judge.)
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #35
quote:

Is there any way I can register it? It seems like I'll have to send Jeff a special e-mail.
This horrifying fact was brought to my attention in this topic over here.

I think emailing Jeff is your best bet. I'm sure he'll find some way to take your money. ;)
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #36
My friends - I believe a solution exists to our Galactic Core dilemma!

We should set up a special paypal account in which we all contribute an appropriate amount of money (say 25 cents). You must pay into this account any time you consider *gasp* registering GC. Its sort of like a swear jar and AA all rolled into one.

Think of it, one anonymous person has already admitted that he purchased GC. He hasn't achieved step one yet (admit you have a problem) but with time, and a little patience, perhaps he will. And to think he could have spent that $15 on Homeland!

The GC jar will eventually accrue enough money to buy a copy of GC so we can send it to TM. This way, he will get some perspective on how bad a game can be, and he will quit acting like a crazed orangoutang any time he plays a BoA scenario made by a non BoEer.

You see? Everybody wins!

Vote Quimby.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

But seriously, the music is kinda nice. Just don't do what I did, and play GC for five straight hours. The <dum-dum-dum, dum-dum-dum... BRUM-BRUM-BRUM-BRUM!!! dum-dum-dum..., dum-dum-dum...> music on the ship-building screen alone will kill you after prolonged exposure.

This forum has had discussions about hyenas eating a persons legs. This forum has had lengthy discourses on why we hate Galactic Core so much. Heck, this forum even had a member ADMIT he likes Galactic Core. But this has to be a new low for this already-subterranean forum - you actually spelled out the tune to Galactic Core.

Have you no decency? At long last, have you no decency?

Z

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #38
If I have any decency I have to find it. I'm thinking of taking a course in self-actualization to bring out any such latent qualities.

(A further indication of my lack of decency is evidenced in my profile's new "From" description. Coupled with my custom title of "Mongolian Barbeque," anyone who read any of my ravings on the Geneforge 3 forum when it was first created can figure out for himself which of the two ambiguous meanings are embedded therein.)

EDIT: Speaking of tastelessness, what's all this about hyenas? Are you telling me I completely missed out on this wonderful conversation? :confused:

[ Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:35: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #39
Itt seems that this poll has not been taken seriously. 'Sheer Ecstasy' is not a way to describe RWG.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #40
Yes, I'm the only one who could select the "Sheer Ecstasy!" choice without the slightest bit of exaggeration... Or, at least, not too much exaggeration...

Anyway, yes, most polls on these boards often have more than their fair share of smartasses who pick the obviously ridiculous options just to be annoying.

And the fact that the poll was created badly has nothing to do with how seriously it was taken by those who voted... Nope. None whatsoever... :rolleyes:
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #41
But RWG's are ecstasy. Smart-ass is better than dumb-ass innit.

[ Tuesday, June 28, 2005 18:25: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #42
quote:

EDIT: Speaking of tastelessness, what's all this about hyenas? Are you telling me I completely missed out on this wonderful conversation? :confused:

Some time ago, we had a running discussion as to whether it was preferable to to (a) play an entire campaign of Galactic Core, or (b) butter up you left leg and enter a cage full of hungry hyenas.

Given the choices, the answer would seem obvious, but a surprising number of people were willing to take their chances with Galactic Core.

Z

Vote Quimby!

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #43
quote:
Originally written by Zorro:

a surprising number of people were willing to take their chances with Galactic Core.
Considering I missed out on this, and didn't put in my 2 cents, that is truly astonishing.

Maybe if the alternative had been recently-fed Pekingese puppies things might have gone differently. Considering how much I like Pekingese dogs, even [b]I[/b] may have chosen the puppies... :P

[ Wednesday, June 29, 2005 12:09: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #44
I will register Ocean Bound!

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #45
quote:

quote:

Is there any way I can register it? It seems like I'll have to send Jeff a special e-mail.
I think emailing Jeff is your best bet. I'm sure he'll find some way to take your money. ;)

Slp006, have you had any luck in contacting Jeff, or has the fit of GC mania passed by?

Zorro has also said he probably would've registered it if it were still available on the order page. In point of fact—if he doesn't mind me publicly shaming him like this—the poor fellow and I are currently engaged in what he has so aptly termed the "first international Galactic Core craptacular" as we fling a multiplayer game back and forth via email. I'm playing as the really with-it Peroc, while he's floundering around in Tardanian junkships. :P But since we just finished our first respective turns, my victory celebration is a tad premature. But we shall see how the war will progress, and undoubtedly many surprises are in store... Will victory be decided through diabolical ingenuity, or merely through inherent superiority of ship designs and favorable cost ratios as carelessly decided by the debatably late-lamented Richard White? :eek: Anyone care to place bets?

This is a historic occasion, perhaps the first time in the long and sorry annals of Chromite Software that two moronic humans have matched wits, rather than a moronic human and an even more moronic computer.

I guess you could also call this epic battle of wills the "first international Galactic Core moron-a-thon!"

< Ringside seats still available. Dry cleaning costs incurred as a result of the splashing of blood-laced spittle as the contestants duke it out are not the liability of the Interstellar Carnage Commission. >

----------

The Peroc-Tardanian war was brought to you by by Jimminy Cricket's Chainsaw—

"Y/our pain is y/our pleasure!"

(Delete Where Applicable)

[ Tuesday, July 05, 2005 12:51: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #46
quote:

the poor fellow and I are currently engaged in what he has so aptly termed the "first international Galactic Core craptacular" as we fling a multiplayer game back and forth via email.
This has got to be the most bat-excrement insane thing I've ever read on these boards. O_o

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
I salute the two of you. Your names will echo in the hallowed history of Spiderweb forever, and on the Day of Spiritual Memory Allocation you shall sit to the right and to the left of the Great White (ho ho!) Himself.

—Alorael, who has to go check his cattle now. He's pretty sure there's a pure red one.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by Manhood Typing Kelandon:

This has got to be the most bat-excrement insane thing I've ever read on these boards. O_o
Thank you!

<Icshi smiles widely, bows serenly, and does a little curled-hand Queen-Elizabeth wave>

...but remember, it was all Zorro's idea! <points accusingly>

[ Tuesday, July 05, 2005 15:25: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #49
It was my idea! And Icshi IS correct - if Spidy did have the registration option online, I would have registered it. I don't know if that's a sign of the moral decay of Western Civilization or the merely a symptom of an advancing brain tumor.

I actually sent an email several days ago asking two questions:

(1) What is RW's family's address to send a condolence card; and
(2) Is it still possible to register GC. No response yet, but I'll post it here if and when I get anything.

On another note, has anyone else noticed a rather, uh, dramatic decline in SW customer service? I remember having Geneforge, and other games, registered, and receiving replies essentially immediately. When I registered GFIII, the reply took more than a week, and several emails on my part. Are my standards unrealistic? Should Linda be fired and replaced with a juicer?

Z

[ Tuesday, July 05, 2005 18:17: Message edited by: Zorro ]

--------------------

Pages