A Trip to the Confessional

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Trip to the Confessional
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
Yes, my brethren, it is time to unload the secret gulit from your heavy souls. Shamble into this private and secluded cubicle and unburden yourself! :(

The anonymity here ensures that the truth can finally be told with no fear of humiliation or retribution. But those who wish to set an example for others may step forward and confess before the congregation. I shall lead the way:

"Hello, my name is Icshi. I have not only downloaded and played Galactic Core, but also registered it. $15 didn't seem like a lot of money to pay to play the full game, and I rather enjoyed it, so I allowed myself this one indiscretion. Although I have since tried to elevate my level of fussiness as far as games are concerned, I do still enjoy occasionally falling back into my old patterns of behavior, shut my bedroom door, start up Classic on my iMac G5, and play a few rounds of interstellar carnage. To watch those little ships appear in orbit, group the into battle fleets, send them out to colonize and conquer... the repetitive little ditties that grate on one's taut nerves... sending that fractal core into the atmosphere of a heavily populated ORiS world... It just makes me feel so alive!

"I know I shouldn't feel this way. I know I should devote my energies towards bashing Richard White and his Godawful games, but how can it be wrong when it feels so right?!"

Poll Information
This poll contains 4 question(s). 24 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=wOjAKEXRmChi"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=wOjAKEXRmChi"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
Abort Abort

I answered No to #1, so therefore can't answer question 2.

The poll didn't respond well to verbal threats.

1 - No never.
2 - N/A
3 - Sheer ecstasy
4 - N/A

*this message confirms I attempted to be polled*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #2
Sorry. I guess I should apologize for that. It didn't occur to me that someone in the Richard White Games forum wouldn't have played any Richard White games.

But in all fairness I guess that makes you an average visitor to this particular forum...

And now that I've been reasonable and understanding, I feel free to say the following:

"Unbeliever! How didst thou stray into our Holy Shrine? Depart at once or I shall call down a Korvonian Planet Killer to consume thee utterly!" :P

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 12:20: Message edited by: Icshi ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
Now if we need to go there, I may have

1) lied in order to effectively beta-test the poll
2) played a RWG under one of my other personalities
3) played a RWG, finding it so horrible that mental blocks have been erected to never let it be recalled
4) cruised through the cool forum looking for chicks

Sadly, I have posted twice in RWG now. I deserve all the derisive comments you can muster.

Edit - sadly not for clarity or brevity

*this message made effective by sleep deprivation, bringing dreams to life*

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 12:40: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:

Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #4
This seems to be quickly turning into a one-man confessional. I guess I have to play the role of both confessor and confessee.

I hereby absolve myself.

They say talking to yourself is one of the first signs of madness. Well, they're wrong—it's expecting at least one other person in the world to fess up to having registered a Richard White game. :rolleyes:
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #5
At one time I thought Ocean Bound was fun. But alas I didn't have the means to register it. So I lost my Soul to the Galactic Core. RW will strike back at all who deny his power.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
You know, I may buy Lost Souls one of these days. And I may play Galactic Core or Homeland just to see what all the fuss is about.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I've played all three. I'd have to say that I did enjoy Lost Souls, but the other two were pain. Thus, I compromised with "Somewhat." Then I discovered that I had to have registered one of them, so I said LS. It's the one I would registered if I absolutely had to.

—Alorael, who recommends GC for the stunning mediocrity and Homeland for the... no. One cannot recommend Homeland. One can only cry.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
The funny thing is that Homeland doesn't look that bad from the description on the Spiderweb site. I'll just have to download it to a PC at some point and try it.

If I should suddenly disappear one day and never be heard from again, I should be considered another casualty to Homeland.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
I need to try that game someday. No, Alo, I know it's bad. But I also need to try.

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #10
Well if you didn't take into account a board user here wouldn't have played one why did you ask question 1? Also you need a none of these choice on which ones you've registered. And on question 3 you can't answer at all either if you haven't played one.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #11
waaa, waaa, waaa.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
Very few games look bad in advertisements, Kel. It's like BoX scenario plots. The general overview can always have potential. It's the details that matter, and in this case there's a whole lot of devil in them.

—Alorael, who now has to ponder the irony of the fact that Homeland is one of the few games that seems to run flawlessly in Virtual PC.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Walter:

Well if you didn't take into account a board user here wouldn't have played one why did you ask question 1? Also you need a none of these choice on which ones you've registered. And on question 3 you can't answer at all either if you haven't played one.
Put quite simply, this was the first poll I've created. I had no idea what I was doing! :D
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Last One Out:

—Alorael, who now has to ponder the irony of the fact that Homeland is one of the few games that seems to run flawlessly in Virtual PC.
Rather, with no more flaws than normal.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #15
I was forced to state that I had registered Lost Souls, as well. Unless White manages to drug me up on LSD and then put me in front of a computer, it's quite, quite unlikely that I'll ever consider registering any one of the RWGs.

I've played through the Homeland demo on my dad's PC before, and found it to be not quite so bad as I had assumed. The graphics were ambitious, if somewhat shoddy, and the game music was almost interesting. Having a dog as a pack mule and fighting companion was an interesting touch.

That said, the gameplay was phenominally horrible, especially in combat. To say that Homeland combat system is real-time combat at its worst would be an understatement. And accumulating money to purchase better equipment is a truly mind-numbing process, requiring the killing and skinning of countless hundreds of snakes in a massive orgy of mindless bloodletting.

I've never played past the registration barrier, but I remember an old member, X, describe what he found after registering it out of curiosity. Unsurprisingly, he said the game continued in much the same vein for some time, and after allowing it to eat up several hours of his time, he finally ran into a bug that prevented him from finishing the game. A fitting conclusion to a deadly dull playing experience, it seems.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:
Originally written by Last One Out:

Rather, with no more flaws than normal.

This reminds me of TM's Galactic Core bug.
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

I've never played past the registration barrier, but I remember an old member, X, describe what he found after registering it out of curiosity. Unsurprisingly, he said the game continued in much the same vein for some time, and after allowing it to eat up several hours of his time, he finally ran into a bug that prevented him from finishing the game.
This almost makes me want to start a poll saying, "Which is worse? Homeland the Spiderweb game or Homeland the BoE scenario?"

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
Thank goodness for common sense and the proper application of the word
quote:
almost
:P

*this message sponsored by happy pills. not polls, but pills*

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 22:05: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #18
Damn, that's a hard choice.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
After about fifteen minutes of experimentation, I'm going with the BoE scenario. My eyes are bleeding. :eek:

--------------------

Agent
Member # 14
Profile #20
You all seem to be forgetting that the holy Richard White would never taint his beautiful and pure name with a product as shoddy and murderous as Homeland. Also, to Kel I say "haw."

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
We have nowhere else to talk about Homeland, though, so we might as well talk about it here.

--------------------

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #22
Unless Homeland actually was orchestrated by the master in secret, and contains NOTHING OF ANY INTEREST. NOPE. It's just a lousy game. That's all.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 14:24: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #23
I have only played Ocean Bound. Although Galactic Core sounds intriguingly terrible, the look of the screenshots is preventing me from downloading it.

Because I haven't registered any of the games, I said "ALL OF THE ABOVE".

EDIT: When I first saw the thread title, I wondered if your confession was going to be that you actually never liked Galactic Core and had just being stringing us along all this time :P

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 14:49: Message edited by: xxo ]

--------------------
Ex-member-#2475.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by xxo:

When I first saw the thread title, I wondered if your confession was going to be that you actually never liked Galactic Core and had just being stringing us along all this time :P
The truth is often ugly, isn't it? :eek:

Pages