Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avatars
Warrior
Member # 2397
Profile Homepage #0
You know, I've only just noticed something... we can't have avatars! Is this not a feature of 'infopop corporation' or has someone just disabled it?
Warrior
Member # 2494
Profile Homepage #1
Yapiro Man believes that these forums have never had that feature

--------------------
In a world of darkness, light is everywhere. You just have to look.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #2
There used to be avatars, but they were purged in the Great Avatar Purge of 2002.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #3
They take up server space.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #4
Yapiro Man is WRONG.

They were here for... I don't know, maybe a month, of less, or a little more, not very long anyway. They weren't all that useful, anyway.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
And Alec is mocking certain people. Avatars don't put any load on Spiderweb's server. They did, however, make the loading times higher, especially for people with dialup connections. I believe that was the reason given for the avatar purge, and it makes sense to me.

—Alorael, who had problems with the loading time on some pages even with DSL. He imagines that a 56k modem would have rendered many topics impossible to read.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Actually, they did (and still do) take up server space, since they're housed on the ironycentral servers.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
Alorael - YOUR DSL SUXS

Unless you have your browser configured to only display a page at all after it's completely loaded, avatars load last and shouldn't be problematic in that way. :P
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
I make no claims about the efficiency or intelligence of my internet browser. As far as I can tell, IE5 insists on loading the entire page before displaying anything.

—Alorael, who was referring to the off-site avatars. Spiderweb could have done away with its own repetoire and only allowed avatars through links, but that wouldn't have solved the problems.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #9
Avatars were never a problem for me, since my IE stored the graphics on my computer. I only needed to wait ONCE for them to load (the first time, when they wern't on my computer).

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally posted by Alorael:
I make no claims about the efficiency or intelligence of my internet browser. As far as I can tell, IE5 insists on loading the entire page before displaying anything.

—Alorael, who was referring to the off-site avatars. Spiderweb could have done away with its own repetoire and only allowed avatars through links, but that wouldn't have solved the problems.

You know the problem yet you refuse to fix it.

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~