Geneforge 4, Indie RPG Of The Year 2007

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge 4, Indie RPG Of The Year 2007
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #0
http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=16093

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #1
Those compliments are nothing to what we say here on the boards, still its good that more people are hearing about Geneforge, yay!

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks!
Viva Khyryk!
Vivan los Serviles!
Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
If you don't want to type my full name, call me Xel.
People, stop insulting my signature.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #2
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I was surprised to read that I am controversial in some circles. And that I have an Indie RPG "throne". :-)

After doing this so long, it's easy to forget that there are actual human beings out there playing and hashing over these things. Or that I really have been doing it for a terribly long time. The come-in-every-day-and-write-more-game habit is very deeply ingrained now.

But I am glad for the recognition for Geneforge 4: Rebellion. I am very proud of that game.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #3
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I was surprised to read that I am controversial in some circles. And that I have an Indie RPG "throne". :-)

After doing this so long, it's easy to forget that there are actual human beings out there playing and hashing over these things. Or that I really have been doing it for a terribly long time. The come-in-every-day-and-write-more-game habit is very deeply ingrained now.

But I am glad for the recognition for Geneforge 4: Rebellion. I am very proud of that game.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #4
Wow, I didn't know UBB could eat Jeff as well.

Eschalon isn't worth the download. It's way too slow and confusing.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #5
We have all been eaten. It is inevitable.
But anyway, I think G4 is really a great game.
It is a huge improvement to the series and the enjoyment of it made the other Geneforge games wimp in terror.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
Muffins n' Hell: The End is Near
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

Just so you know, I am working on Muffins n' Hell the scenario.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #6
Looks like good old Spidweb is more high-profile than we think.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
I would disagree. I've never met someone who has even heard of his games, let alone played them.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Spiderweb has been a shareware titan for years. It's definitely an indie outfit, but it gets notice from reasonably big gaming press. And it's richly deserved!

—Alorael, who once again must note that as harsh as the critics are here of Spiderweb games, the games are still vastly superior to most of what's put out by the gaming industry.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
I would disagree. I've never met someone who has even heard of his games, let alone played them.

I disagree, I know several people who love and play these games, I find it hard to believe that you know no one who plays Jeffs games
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
Good to see the recognition for a great job.

Eschalon is okay for a first game, but it's graphics make it horrible for those of us with older machines. Hopefully they will fix this before the next game.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #11
I've started to play Eschalon. I probably won't play it for too long, because I only rarely enjoy even high quality RPGs these days. I truly envy its level of sound and graphics polish. They kicked my butt in this area first time out. I am resolved to do better with Geneforge 5.

I think they need a lot of work in how they structure their demo. Something I realized from Exile v1.0 is that you need a hook to pull people in from the very first second. There has to be something about the story or the gameplay that is instantly intriguing. Putting it a half hour in is too late.

But it definitely looks worthy, and I wish them all the luck in the world. It's a tough business.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
Congratulations Jeff.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #13
Wow, I always thought game developers were informed when one of their games gets nominated, or wins.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #14
And the way they said "boring old pick" sounds like Jeff has held the throne for quite some time. I say he deserves it.

*returns to BoA scenario*

--------------------
Love is the movement.
----
My poetry
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
And the way they said "boring old pick"...
For good reason. I've purchased five computer/video games in my life and they're all created by Jeff.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #16
The IMG text about G4's victory is pretty backhanded, actually. And I can't imagine where this 'incessant and perhaps growing criticism' of Jeff is taking place. Jeff's great and all, but if you don't like him, he's pretty easy to just avoid. Stay away from his website, and you really won't have Spiderweb Software shoved in your face by the world very much. So who the heck would bother to spend a lot of time complaining about him?

The text also gives the impression that Jeff is stuck in a rut and simply shoveling out the same stuff he's been doing forever. This is only true in the sense that Halo 3 is still a game of moving lights on a screen, like Pong. Since the original Avernum series, Jeff's games have been changing steadily in basic as well as cosmetic ways. It's only the steadiness of his output, and the incremental nature of its development, that makes Spiderweb's evolution seem slow. It is gradual, per game. Since nobody matches Jeff's rate of production, his rate of innovation per year is underestimated. But compare games 3 years apart and the changes in style and substance are dramatic.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #17
Game Banshee text not IMG.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #18
Congrats, Jeff!

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.