Meadows of Heaven

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Meadows of Heaven
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #25
1. What was the last song you listened to?
The Boxer, by Simon and Garfunkel
2. What was the last song / album you bought?
The original sountrack from Final Fantasy VII
3. What is your favorite song?
Dragostea Din Tei, as performed in Romanian by O-Zone. To be honest, to the critical ear, the song sucks; but it's addictive.
4. What is your favorite record album?
Fresh Aire II by Mannheim Steamroller
5. What song do you think has the best music?
To be completely honest, I've never thought about it. Ever. Offhand, I'd call up Going to Another Place by Mannheim Steamroller, but I really doubt it is the absolute best.
6. What song do you think has the best lyrics?
I beleive it's called "Crayons Can Melt on us if You Care", by Relient K.
7. Who is your favorite composer?
It's between Hans Zimmer and Nobuo Uematsu.
8. Who is your favorite lyricist?
Rich Mullins.
9. Who is your favorite performing artist?
Nightwish
10. Is there any song that has ever just hit you like a brick? What was it, and why?
There are a handful here. My Immortal, by Evanescence; Sleeping Sun, by Nightwish; Yesterday, by the Beatles. I suppose I'm a sucker for ballads.
11. What is that one song that you just can't stand?
Never found out who the artist is, but the song is "I Touch myself". I hate the music more than the lyrics.
12. What artist do you absolutely hate?
Any group that does Christian praise music that did not exist before 1998.
And The Fray.
13. If a group of SpiderWebbers got together to start a band, who would be in it, and what genre would they perform?

I'm seeing just about everyone with percieved musical talent trying to get in. Knowing the diversity of musical experience among us, they'd likely start off with some form of orchestral rock.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin recommends composer John Cage.
You now have less than four and a half minutes to figure out why.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #26
IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cf/DivinylsITouchMyself.jpg/200px-DivinylsITouchMyself.jpg)

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Lenar:

I beleive it's called "Crayons Can Melt on us if You Care", by Relient K.
--------------------
The Silent Assassin recommends composer John Cage.
You now have less than four and a half minutes to figure out why.
Crayons Can Melt on Us For All I Care:
I just
Wasted
Ten seconds of
Your life.

Awesome lyrics. ;)

Also, how about 4:33 by John Cage? You can play that with almost any number of people. :P

--------------------
"What direction, what direction now?"
----
My poetry
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #28
Hey that's mean. You don't even know what the band would sound like.

--------------------
I make guacamole at work
=:T:=
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #29
Music. Ah, what a vast iceberg we have landed upon here. For all the music you may have heard or known in your life, there is myriad more that has never crossed your ears or even, perhaps your imagination. The very concept of what denotes "music" is a curious contrivance with surprisingly diverse range. Not only can I never come close to knowing a drop in the bucket of all the bands in existence, there are numerous entire genres of music I'll never know. One could spend lifetimes exploring...

Some recent, random listening:

Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, KMFDM, 16 Volt, Chemlab, Rob Zombie, Celldweller, Criss Angel, Korn, Garbage, Plastikman, Squaremeter, and a bunch of obscure experimental ambient/noise/surrealism/soundscape stuff from the UK and Europe like Monos, Alio Die, Asmus Tietchins, Thomas Köner, Lustmord, and Nurse With Wound. I own all this music. I have a, shall we say, rather large, collection. My number one hobby for many years was going to lengths to amass music I love. I also have a great fondness for most of the music of the Beatles.

Early favorites forever ago: Larry Norman, Oingo Boingo, and also, yes: Tom Lehrer, thanks to Dr. Demento. How delightful to see Mr. Poisoning Pigeons mentioned not once, but twice, already. Favorite recent lyricists include Edward Ka-Spel of The Legendary Pink Dots, Jim Thirlwell (Clint Ruin) of Foetus: anyone who can belt out slightly twisted and clever lyrics like, "This isn't the melody that lingers on — it's the malady that malingers on," earns my most skewed admiration.

I was hit by a brick when I first heard (and saw the video for) Skinny Puppy's "Dig It" in 1986. This set me spiralling on an industrial music obsession that continued for many years. Skinny Puppy was the first real concert I ever attended (not including Petra, a Christian rock band in the early 80's...really, that doesn't count, does it?)

If I were a part of a SW band, I would contribute unspecificable noise and electronics, spoken/muttered/hissed/whispered lyrics of wry whimsy involving irony and wordplay.

Music is a magical trip I really get off on. I don't need drugs. I get high with a little help from my (musical) friends.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator N:R Items The Lonely Celt A5 Items A5 Map
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
Today, spurred on by the Killers cover of "Shadowplay," I actually tracked down some old Joy Division, and some Bauhaus for good measure (since the two are often mentioned in the same breath), and while I was at it, I listened to the New Order that had already ended up on my computer somehow.

Damn, that is some good stuff. Joy Division in particular was great. It's funny, because it sounds like normal '80s New Wave/alternative, until you realize that it was released in the '70s, and everyone who sounded like that in the '80s was copying them. Suddenly bands that I hated and thought sounded awful, bands that seemed to be part of the New Wave thing but also seemed to be part of their own subculture that didn't make sense to me (and here I am thinking of Men Without Hats, among others), fit into the bigger musical picture as really bad imitations of Joy Division.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Today, spurred on by the Killers cover of "Shadowplay," I actually tracked down some old Joy Division, and some Bauhaus for good measure (since the two are often mentioned in the same breath), and while I was at it, I listened to the New Order that had already ended up on my computer somehow.
Joy Division FTW. If you've not seen the film about Curtis yet, do it. It's magical. I'm not a New Order fan though. That whole scene just doesn't click.

Oh, and OMG. I forgot to mention any Bob Dylan!

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - bigger than Jesus?
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #32
My favorite musicians include the Beatles, Electric Light Orchestra, Bob Dylan, Tears for Fears, The Who, Kingston Trio, Billy Joel, Keith Green, Larry Norman, Leon Patillo (spelling?), CCR, Abba (Yeah, so what), Queen, Rolling Stones, Dionne Warwick, Simon and Garfunkel, Casting Crowns, the Doobie Brothers, Elton John, Steve Miller Band, and others.

quote:
I get high with a little help from my (musical) friends.
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song, and I'll try not to sing out of key.

--------------------
Jesus is a pacifist.
Ron Paul for '08!
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #33
1. What was the last song you listened to? I don't remember the last full song I listened to, but we stopped Chicken Little in the middle of ~"It's the end of the world as we know it."~

2. What was the last song / album you bought?
I think it was The Waiting's latest.

3. What is your favorite song?
Uber difficult to discern... Different favorites for different genres... Pachabell's Cannon in D has been a favorite since I learned to play it. But I could listen to Petra's "Holy of Holies" forever. Then there's "Desert Rose", too, and "Cotton Eye Joe" can't forget him. Can I have two in country? Collin Raye: "That was a River" led me to buy all his albums whether I liked any of the songs on it or not.

4. What is your favorite record album?
The Waiting: Blue Belly Sky

5. What song do you think has the best music?
The music that first came to my head was Jesu, Joy of a Man's Desiring, but I love to listen to most anything with great harmony.

Toughie... Blue Belly Sky is a top runner, but I think I enjoy Wierd Al more. How about Constipated? ~Why'd I have to go and get myself decapitated?~

7. Who is your favorite composer?
I highly admire John Williams for the soundtrack of Hook.

8. Who is your favorite lyricist?
Wierd Al

9. Who is your favorite performing artist?
Rebecca St.James

10. Is there any song that has ever just hit you like a brick? What was it, and why?
My Saviour, My God by Aaron Shust I don't know why. Still to this day I don't notice the song till the chorus comes but then it's like, bam, gotta turn it up. I think it might be the passion of the chorus. Now if you're asking which song has been closest to getting me actually hit by a brick, well, that'd be Cotton Eye Joe. By the tenth time through, hubby's about had it.

11. What is that one song that you just can't stand?
Um, Ice Ice Baby?

12. What artist do you absolutely hate?
If they're bad enough that I don't ever listen to them I probably don't know their name. Michael Jackson rubs me the wrong way, but it's his personality, not his music.

13. If a group of SpiderWebbers got together to start a band, who would be in it, and what genre would they perform?
Realistically or metaphorically? I suppose it depends on who's got the tallent. I can play viola and I hear Thralni's got a trombone. Other then that, it'd be just a bunch of name dropping based on current popularity, right? We'd make our own genre, of course. What with all the creative minds that hover here.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #34
I don't listen to much heavy music, but this is definitely the ultimate metal band. Check it out if that's your thing!!!

--------------------
----
My poetry
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Jewelz:

Michael Jackson rubs me the wrong way
What an appropriate way to put it...

--------------------
----
My poetry
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #36
As a related question: What are your favorite crhistmas albums? I prefer Vuoden synkin juhla (Year's gloomiest holiday) by Viikate. It's perfect fit for Finnish winter days. Here is a sample of what the album sounds like. (Viattomien lasten päivä translates to "Day of innocent children")

Just a little warning: Viikate is quaranteed to cause depression if you lack sense of black humor. Oh, and yes, I do hate modern christmas <3

--------------------
Life is a neverending carneval where everyone has multiple costumes. I just hope mine are pleasing to the eye.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Taliesin:

I don't listen to much heavy music, but this is definitely the ultimate metal band. Check it out if that's your thing!!!
Bullet for my Valentine? I haven't listened to them that much, but the songs I do have don't really strike me as anything "heavy"... But then again, I'm comparing it to Trivium, as that's the sort of metal i usually listen to. For other, non-metal fans, Bullet for my Valentine may sound heavy.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #38
By Frozen Feet
quote:
As a related question: What are your favorite crhistmas albums?
I don't like any Christmas albums, but I do enjoy a few songs: Silent Night by Franz X. Gruber, Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney, Sleigh Bells (title?) by Amy Grant, and White Christmas by the Drifters.

--------------------
Jesus is a pacifist.
Ron Paul for '08!
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #39
Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hand by Relient K. :P

--------------------
----
My poetry
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #40
Joy Division has got to be the most influential band to take a new direction -- or at any rate the most name-dropped -- since Kraftwerk.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages