Fat Attack?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Fat Attack?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by The peanut walks by night.:

That's not your original question. You asked if the shows discriminate. No, they don't.
Um, fat people are let on the show and thin people aren't. That's discrimination. Whether it's justifiable discrimination is a separate question.

The shows don't seem to uniquely encourage prejudice against the overweight. Happy now?

—Alorael, who can easily see that the answer will be no. Encouraging prejudice is to be encouraged, of course! Ignorance is strength!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I mean, you don't see television programs on making 6 people stop an addictive drug, or stop drinking, or any other such problem. Why? They're private struggles, not something for the entire country to know. Having such a problem is often embarrassing enough with just family and friends involved, but does the rest of America really need to know too?
Intervention

Engaged and Underage

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #27
When I was in the hospital a few months ago(please don't ask) they showed us several documentaries about people's struggles with addiction. I don't remember what they were called though.

Please note: I was not in the hospital for drug or alcohol problems. I have never tried drugs or alcohol.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #28
If you insist on leaving it that mysterious, you know we're just going to imagine and suggest all manner of sordid things.

On thread-related note: I have two obese parents, and seeing the sheer amount of effort and difficulty it causes them as they attempt to do any number of simple day-to-day things has been a highly effective preventative example.

[ Friday, August 03, 2007 14:14: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #29
What is healthy living?
I mean we have fluorite in water supplies which only stops teeth from rooting by reducing their growth.
Fluorite is a poison that in the right quantities makes the subject having bad brain development.
How do i know i was subjected to large quantities of it when i was little.
I had to go to a dentist to sort out that problem with a bunch of pliers.

I became very sensitive to health problems after that.

With my experience of things i don't see why society encourages bad health.
More disturbing facts rumble i people mind's : why hundreds of food are being irradiated and are stuffed by unnatural chemical substances? because it's cheaper?

Coca cola was made at one point with cocaine and now health care association (not the department of health care) have discovered that zero sugar coca cola cases brain malfunction and that throat cancer is due to the enormous amounts of CO2 stored in fizzy drinks.

Don't tell me that politicians are not concerned about it, are they?
If they are not then i will surely scream.

Why is it that large corporations pay governments to preside a good campaigns?
Then if large corporations help government spawning why do governments don't investigate large corporations?
If that is so that means that they leave these problems uncheck for a reason and that is probably why today health care is so debated in america.
Is it true that in a way Mac donald is in control of Northern america ?
This is freaky. A clown face government and a disrupt health care service.

[ Saturday, August 04, 2007 16:53: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
Dental fluorosis isn't exactly reduction in tooth growth, it's extremely rare, and it's not necessarily due to fluoride in water. Fuoride is a toxin in high enough quantities, but so is pure water. Water fluoride concentrations have no credibly be shown to be dangerous. Fearmongering isn't research.

If you were "subjected to large quantities" of fluoride, maybe that was a problem. Municipal water doesn't have "high quantities." It has minute quantities.

Food is mainly irradiated to sterilize it. The scientific majority concludes that it's safe. There's a minority opinion that dissents, but there's always a minority opinion. Chemicals are added for too many reasons to enumerate, and some are better than others. Nobody is deliberately making food toxic.

Aspartame has potential links to several cancers, but brain tumors have been mostly ruled out. There's nothing clear about the risks of aspartame, but steering clear of it isn't a bad idea. Unfortunately, calories are also a known cause of many problems. Pick your poison.

There is no link between carbonation and cancer. There is no strong link between carbonation and any harm. Fizz paranoia is periodic and baseless.

quote:
Don't tell me that politicians are not concerned about it, are they?
If they are not then i will surely scream.

If politicians panicked about everything that panicked some group of citizens, they would get nothing done. These are all matters for scientific investigation, and investigation has not shown harm.

Plenty of tropical and equatorial cultures have viewed obesity as a sign of wealth, power, and so on. Nobody has needed excess weight since the invention of clothing, but having more than enough food is a powerful status symbol in societies that suffer form frequent lack of food.

—Alorael, who recommends that you check your facts more often before buying into claims of danger. It's not possible ot live a risk-free life, and it's much easier than everyone is led to believe to live a life of acceptable risk.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #31
McDonald's doesn't even have complete control over the fast food market anymore. And its menu selection is slowly improving in terms of healthiness and variety.

I agree with you on the objection to added chemicals in food, though, uponmars. Though I do not think it is likely that the preservatives in our processed foods will significantly harm us, I would much prefer living without them. And I am gradually trying to cut artificial sweeteners out of my diet.

And Alorael, did you seriously just compare the dangers of aspartame to those of calories??

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 9245
Profile #32
I think that using that picture for that phrase is a little out of perspective. I mean the way that I look at it is that 20% of the people in the world have problems with obesity rgardless of global position. Also most people in Japan are not sumo wrestlers. I think I took that post too seriuously *whispers* I think I took that too seriously.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

And Alorael, did you seriously just compare the dangers of aspartame to those of calories??
Aspartame may cause cancer if you eat enough. Calories cause obesity if you eat enough. Granted, the risk of cancer is greater if aspartame really is a problem, but it may not be one.

—Alorael, who stands by his original statement. If aspartame is a carcinogen, you have to decide whether you'd rather risk diabetes, heart disease, and so on or risk cancer. It's your call.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #34
Aspartame breaks down into wood alcohol in your blood stream and cannot break down further. That can't be good.

uponmars: It is discouraging to see how much industry, policy, and culture promotes less than truth, reality, and healthy living. One of our tasks and challenges in life is to accept our personal responsibility to make up our minds and care for our own health. I sure don't trust anyone else to do it for me. I'd rather error on the side of discretion in general.

Disturbing new studies are emerging on possible dangers of toxic chemicals plastics leak into our foods, baby bottles being the main focus. I worry about heating things in plastic in microwaves and using nonstick pan surfaces which slowly erode into my food and go into my body. I can choose to minimize or eliminate their use though no one has conclusively yet shown how exactly this might be damaging me. It took a while to figure out what asbestos and thalidomide were doing to people. At one time, it wasn't even realized how poisonous mercury is.

It's all in your hands, mars. You will have to educate and inform yourself ultimately and live accordingly. Governments and corporations are driven by profit, not your welfare.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

Governments... are driven by profit, not your welfare.
Quoted for paranoid cynicism.

—Alorael, who doesn't actually believe that. The American government's competency can be questioned, and its ideological biases sometimes become problematic, and its ties to industry sometimes obstruct justice, but it really means well!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by Yours truly comma:

quote:

Governments... are driven by profit, not your welfare.
Quoted for paranoid cynicism.

—Alorael, who doesn't actually believe that. The American government's competency can be questioned, and its ideological biases sometimes become problematic, and its ties to industry sometimes obstruct justice, but it really means well!

Agreed. The US government is something of a good natured bafoon. Always trying to do good, but messing things up even worse. Except when it doesn't.

Industry on the other hand...

--------------------
I do not need a stinking signature.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #37
People may mean well. Institutions, which generally overrule the ability or will of many of the people who comprise them, run by the bottom line.

-S-

More cynical than paranoid, really. And...just because yer paranoid, don't mean they're not after you.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #38
The government is guilty of many things, but answering to the bottom line is most assuredly not one of them.

—Alorael, who sometimes thinks that's one of the problems. Government isn't even responsible to itself.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #39
One word: Lobbyists. If money didn't make a diff in D.C., we wouldn't have them hovering about like a flock of vultures.

-S-

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
quote:

Aspartame breaks down into wood alcohol in your blood stream and cannot break down further. That can't be good.
While this is true, aspartame is so sweet that the amount actually used in foods is pretty damn small. The amount of methanol produced by breaking down the aspartame in a can of Diet Coke is less than the amount naturally found in, say, a tomato.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #41
Also, if the methanol didn't break down any more it wouldn't be a problem. Methanol itself isn't so terrible, which is why the treatment for methanol poisoning is more (non-wood) alcohol.

—Alorael, who should have known that no tomato would ever naturally be as sweet as the one he just had with dinner.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

While this is true, aspartame is so sweet that the amount actually used in foods is pretty damn small. The amount of methanol produced by breaking down the aspartame in a can of Diet Coke is less than the amount naturally found in, say, a tomato.

So.. you are saying tomatoes contain aspartame? No wonder they are so scrumptiously sweet!

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Apprentice
Member # 9245
Profile #43
I'm all up for saying that aspertame is bad for your health ,but then think about how much you'd have to ingest in order to get cancer from it. It's like what they say about the beta radiation emitted from cell phones causing cancer. Most people live their whole life and be on their cell phones all the time and not die from cancer. (note: most of the people who talk on their cell phones all the time never get a chance to get cancer because they die in a car accident due to their talking on a cell phone). Besides the amount of aspertame in a diet soda is not that much. And it's every persons right (or god given right if you're religious) to ingest aspertame if they wish. And statiticly speaking 3 out of every 10 people have diabeties and most of them like soda so aspertame is in its own way an odd nesecity for some of them.
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #44
quote:
Originally written by Nicholiah:

It's like what they say about the beta radiation emitted from cell phones causing cancer.
Cell phones do not emit beta radiation.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #45
The best answer is just to eat less sugar and live without the sweet tooth, which was probably rotting away all the other teeth anyway.

And as I understand it, methanol does not accumulate in the body. It can be excreted by the kidneys like any other water miscible liquid.

--------------------
====
====
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #46
Interesting.... Yes it is not a poison in large quantities, yet why don't they use other products than poisons in small harmless dosage? And why do big industries corporations control what we eat and drink?

It's not about scaring people but fizzy drinks do cause cancer.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2006/08/25/benzene-beverages.html

The thing is that any one is perfectly all right with real garden grown lattice, tomatoes, cucumbers and potatoes and local products. This ludicrous amount of chemical food is making us sick it is fact that every one nows.

I have agree that my preceding arguments where weak and undeveloped and i should have done better research on the subject but i am concerned by people that say that every thing is fine when i see military men and bankers fund people like Pinochet, Hitler, Bush and Sarkosy so that they can create and maintain a system that support the real brains behind this : ourselves.
I am not saying that people are poising us, I say that we let people to poison us.
And why? well find out your selves.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #47
Well, it may not be the healthiest thing that we frequently eat chemically-enhanced food (though that definition is a bit hazy). But it's not instant death.

I'd much rather see a more efficient distribution system for most foods. The less junk we spew into the atmosphere, the better.

quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

real garden grown lattice
IMAGE(http://www.polaris-sales.co.uk/Europa-Lattice-Dome.jpg)

I'm sorry. This just struck me as funny.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #48
quote:

Pinochet, Hitler, Bush and Sarkosy so that they can create and maintain a system that support the real brains behind this : ourselves.
I am not saying that people are poising us, I say that we let people to poison us.
And why? well find out your selves.

Mars, I understand that you are dyslexic, but I find it odd that you misspell your own president's name. Pinochet was a bit tyrannical, but as for Bush and Sarkozy: They are rather conservative, but comparing them to Hitler goes beyond unfair. I'll be the first to admit that I hate the Bush administration, but he's not a genocidal megalomaniac. :P

[ Sunday, August 12, 2007 18:03: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #49
quote:

Interesting.... Yes it is not a poison in large quantities, yet why don't they use other products than poisons in small harmless dosage?
"All things are poison and nothing is without poison. It is only the dose that makes a thing not a poison." -- Paracelsus

Homegrown tomatoes, cucumbers and especially potatoes are all full of natural poisons and carcinogens. That's why we have livers.

[ Sunday, August 12, 2007 18:33: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages