Exile Series remake!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile Series remake!
Apprentice
Member # 8948
Profile #0
So it seems Jeff has hinted at remaking the Exile series.

The #1 thing that made me a sad Panda when I installed Avernum 1 was the lack of spells. Sure the fewers spells were >better< and more concise. But I liked having a bunch of spells to choose my opponents death :) .

the second thing was the lack of interesting magical items that Exile series had.

What does everyone else hope is kept/done over for the Exile series remake?

[ Monday, June 11, 2007 18:19: Message edited by: Imbrium ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
The Exile series remake will mostly be newer graphics and a new game engine. I would like to see mages get back the shockwave spell,

Oh yeah, Exile 4 remake without Vahnatai. Long live the Darkside Loyalists as the true opposition to Avernum.

[ Monday, June 11, 2007 20:01: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #2
I know one thing, though, if Jeff's gonna remake Exile(for like the 2nd time), it will most certainly be more than just a graphics and sound upgrade(cause if that's all he was going to do there would be no point in remaking the game, all he has to do is update the files and make those available to us).

Anywayz, while the hitting letters(or numbers, I forget which) was a nice way to target, I miss just being able to click on the guys or space for 1 simple reason, Area Effect Spells, the best thing that wasn't in the Avernum spells. I missed fireball and stuff. A good shockwave, which while kinda weak, told me where those stupid invisible monsters were so I could hack them to death. Exile definitely beats the hell out of Avernum in spell variety(hell, the spells are over-all better in Exile). My only grievance was the fly spell(which I don't think Avernum even had), it's duration was too short. Once you got that orb thingy, there was no need to ever use the spell again.

Also, while I prefer the simplicity of the Exile point-based character adjustment stuff over Avernum's more tedious and overly redundant system, some new things to spend points on would be nice. Additionally, I hated how in Avernum you could only have 2 advantages, where-as in Exile you could have all of them if you were willing to pay the experience penalties(which I was more than happy to when I noticed I wasn't getting poisoned all the time and I didn't have to rest as much).

One thing I've always wanted to do in Exile is attack a wall(or a tree). If monsters can destroy a wall with fireballs or random attacks off-screen(which technically they aren't but that's just a minor detail), by god I want to do be able to it on-screen. Image a Blades of Exile where you could just destroy a wall... 'Course you would have to have a category of walls that are next to impossible to destroy for the sake making mysterious barriers and what not...

Now, I know this starts to really go outside of the principles of Exile but would be interesting to see in a RPG... If we can tear down a wall, I think we should be able to build/fix one too. I've often wanted to be able to build my own fort in a RPG game, just to have one. This would especially be useful in a remake of Exile that had the world map set-up of Avernum 4, where the towns and outdoors were one map, and there were various roaming monsters and you couldn't ever find a good place to rest. You could then build a fort and have a place you could defend yourself and hang out at(kinda like the house in Exile 3, but built where ever you wanted). Then you could hire people to do mundane tasks(such as make weapons) for some added fluff(kinda like in Skies of Arcadia for the Game Cube and Dreamcast). While probly not all that useful, it's still a nice concept. 'Specially since you don't need fancy 3D graphics to make a more interactive game.

[ Tuesday, June 12, 2007 08:02: Message edited by: Big McLarge-Huge ]

--------------------
You've long since crossed over into unfounded speculation.
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #3
quote:
One thing I've always wanted to do in Exile is attack a wall(or a tree). If monsters can destroy a wall with fireballs or random attacks off-screen(which technically they aren't but that's just a minor detail), by god I want to do be able to it on-screen. Image a Blades of Exile where you could just destroy a wall... 'Course you would have to have a category of walls that are next to impossible to destroy for the sake making mysterious barriers and what not...
In Exile, as I remember it, you could destroy a wall using move mountains if the wall was cracked. Further, some BoE scenarios allowed you to destroy walls by attacking. So, this aspect does exist. Perhaps, it is just not as widely used as you would like.

--------------------
Trying not to flame...
You are asleep.
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.
So it goes.
Apprentice
Member # 8948
Profile #4
Yeah, spell variety in Exile was awesome.

I loved all the "wall" spells. And making force walls around guards so I could steal stuff in the room they were in :)

There was a priest spell that at higher levels could hit more than one target, and I would use it just for kicks of watching a bunch of guys and hearing that little sound effect.

Being able to have all the advantages was fun too. I remember the time I did a Single character challenge in Exile 3 by taking all the advantages. I had a lot of fun (and a lot of save/reloading :P ).
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #5
The fort concept was kind of in A3 with Hawke's Manse. I always liked to decorate with potted plants! My PC had a side job of interior decorating... :P

Where (and when) did Jeff say this?

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #6
quote:
Now, I know this starts to really go outside of the principles of Exile but would be interesting to see in a RPG... If we can tear down a wall, I think we should be able to build/fix one too. I've often wanted to be able to build my own fort in a RPG game, just to have one. This would especially be useful in a remake of Exile that had the world map set-up of Avernum 4, where the towns and outdoors were one map, and there were various roaming monsters and you couldn't ever find a good place to rest. You could then build a fort and have a place you could defend yourself and hang out at(kinda like the house in Exile 3, but built where ever you wanted). Then you could hire people to do mundane tasks(such as make weapons) for some added fluff(kinda like in Skies of Arcadia for the Game Cube and Dreamcast). While probly not all that useful, it's still a nice concept. 'Specially since you don't need fancy 3D graphics to make a more interactive game.
Come to think of it, you actually could kind of do this in the original Exile series too. You could create force walls and fire walls and use them to your advantage. (a force wall fort)

When fighting a DoomGuard this was particularly helpful, because the DoomGuard would split every time you hit him as long as there was room.

I can remember building an elaborate maze for the doom guard to chase me through and then closing him off in a small area where I could do the dirty work.

Wow, the old Exile was good. It makes me want to play BoE again.

--------------------
Trying not to flame...
You are asleep.
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.
So it goes.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Originally by Fractal:

quote:
The fort concept was kind of in A3 with Hawke's Manse. I always liked to decorate with potted plants! My PC had a side job of interior decorating...
Heh. I collected all the pillows I could and took them to the rakshasi's lair near Fort Remote in A2. Scatter a few magical items around and you've got a good spot for retiring adventures.

quote:
Where (and when) did Jeff say this?
Here.

Dikiyoba.

[ Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:19: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #8
quote:
In Exile, as I remember it, you could destroy a wall using move mountains if the wall was cracked. Further, some BoE scenarios allowed you to destroy walls by attacking. So, this aspect does exist. Perhaps, it is just not as widely used as you would like.
Similar in principle, but not the exact same thing I was talking about. As I recall, to make attackable walls on BoE, they were essentially monsters. The problem with this is you really couldn't do it on a city/dungeon wide scale, which is what I'm suggesting. Plus the whole cracked wall and using the move mountain spell thing is kinda lame when you hear about a mage blowing up various walls with their fireballs, while you could spend all day with an entire party and not get any results at all. So the move mountains and shatter spells, while a step in the right direction(and reasonably innovative for their time), didn't quite go all the way to greatness.

quote:
The fort concept was kind of in A3 with Hawke's Manse.
You damn kids and your disregarding the Exile games. If you're going to reference it, give props to where it first came from. Anyway, again, while a step towards what I'm talking about, not quite there yet.

quote:
Come to think of it, you actually could kind of do this in the original Exile series too. You could create force walls and fire walls and use them to your advantage.
While a good(though costly) battle tactic, it lacked any real permanency(as in wander off and they were gone... at least in Exile).

On a sidenote, I think rather than dwell on an Exile remake or what not, we could probly stand to have yet another series of rants on what new series Jeff should make and what it should have.

[ Tuesday, June 12, 2007 14:44: Message edited by: Big McLarge-Huge ]

--------------------
You've long since crossed over into unfounded speculation.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #9
I wasn't disregarding the Exile series! I LOVE the old Exile games! Sadly, they have fallen into desrepair on my computer because of the exotic other applications interfering sort of problem that I can't figure out how to fix.

A remake of Exile would mean a new life of all those awesome spells and features; being a masochist and
quote:
using kill on chickens
, making yourself invulnerable and casting quickfire to fill a hostile area, maybe even killing non-essential walls...like to get to secret treasure and the like...you never know...

I think I see what you were getting at with destroying walls. You could create a new class of wall that could be destroyed by a certain spell/weapon or whatever. Like needing a hammer or a pick to destroy walls, thus giving eye-candy items a purpose. (I say eye-candy because they aren't really necessary to the game, they just add the reality of the game, i.e. hammers, tongs, pinchers in forges). This would add secret areas and some more depth to the game.

In conclusion, wall destroying would be cool, but would require some specific script implementaion. And yes, I always remember the Exile series. Always.

[ Wednesday, June 13, 2007 00:06: Message edited by: Fractal ]

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!