Costuming Ideas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Costuming Ideas
Apprentice
Member # 3428
Profile Homepage #0
I'm going to do my best to get to califur '08... and I'm going to costume... the theme is steampunk, help me out here only two things required, big boots, and weilding goggles :3 I'm also thinking about round frame glasses.

--------------------
HIHI!!!! *hugs indescriminantly* take that, FEEL THE LOVE!!!!
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #1
Holy hell !!!
I've spotted a new alien !!!

Man i think you will be fine with gens and a jacket.
(Man, I think you will be fine with jeans and a jacket)

You don't need to post ludicrous things on the net. Even if 70% of people of the west are ridiculous and mad.
(stet)
Here is an example : Should i buy reed or blue?
(here is an example: should I buy the red one or the blue one?)

It doesn't matter. Until you are feed, not thirsty and warm it's the easy life.
(It doesn't matter. As long as you are fed, not thirsty, and warm, life is easy.)
Don't wonder about such small and irrelevant subjects.
(stet)
Go out there explore, help the people that need help and stop complaining about reed or blue.
(Get out into the world and explore it, help people who need it, and stop worrying about irrelevancies)

(I think the message is: just do it and don't worry about your costume)

[ Thursday, May 17, 2007 06:09: Message edited by: saunders ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Ezrah: A convention with "fur" in its name has a steampunk theme?!

Mars: Uh... in English?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Apprentice
Member # 2124
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Ezrah, Kitty of Wonder.:

I'm going to do my best to get to califur '08... and I'm going to costume... the theme is steampunk, help me out here only two things required, big boots, and weilding goggles :3 I'm also thinking about round frame glasses.
I have a few ideas. I also found some places online to buy Victorian-era submariner goggles.
From what I've seen, your boots don't have to be ginormous. A few touch ups do regular combat boots good!
If you take desert combat boots, you can sponge on brown paint to give them a dirty, "worn" look for starters. If you choose black boots, you can sponge them over with rust-colored paint for an old rusty look.
I suggest buying gears from an automotive shop and working them into your costume. From what I've seen, gears can go as low as a few dollars. You can also get gears from clock stores (I like those better, but my opinion). Hmm, I were to imagine that if you were to work gears and cables into your design, you'd srsly pwn.

It's optional, but an anguistralobe would also look very nice. Perhaps, make a charm necklace w/ an anguistralobe, compass, pocket watch, dog tags, and a cameo? (dog tags have existed since the 1800's, I was doubtful but I looked it up).
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #4
You could just go as a Mieville-inspired Remade from New Crobuzon. Man, "Perdido Street Station" was cool.
Apprentice
Member # 3428
Profile Homepage #5
Gears in the costume...? how would that really work...? I was thinking along the lines of the boots, the goggles, maybe a bandana [I don't really know what kind of headgear to go with] the boots of course, maybe a belt or bandoleer, and a conductor's vest and breast pocket watch.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #6
You could work gears in if you went with some kind of mechanical backpack or as a steampunk cyborg. As for the headgear, were you thinking that the goggles would be a seperate piece from whatever else might be included?

Maybe a welding mask...

--------------------
http://whyte-shadow-neko.deviantart.com - My drawings!
Waka Laka love and fantasy~
Apprentice
Member # 8406
Profile #7
quote:
upon mars
go take a hike.
Apprentice
Member # 3428
Profile Homepage #8
I, for the most part had no idea what he was talking about x.x on another note, I might try to rock a bandana... anyone know any other period hats though... one that aren't so... barret-y...?

--------------------
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #9
Now that is it !
Why do people bother about things that are beyond living their life.

That is not living life it's all about impressing other damn apes and fill their psychological holes with false substitutes!

So doctor can you heal this?

Lizard i'll eat you.

[ Tuesday, May 22, 2007 08:01: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
No offense, Mars, but if you want to get a discussion started, you have to explain yourself plainly and clearly, without any frills or fancy phrases. Dikiyoba can't understand what you meant in that post at all.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Some people like to have fun, Mars.

And fancy phrases are fine. It's meaningless phrases that are the problem.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #12
Maybe you should do a quick sketch of your ideas so far, Ezrah. A visual aid might be useful.

--------------------
http://whyte-shadow-neko.deviantart.com - My drawings!
Waka Laka love and fantasy~