Java Programming....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Java Programming....
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #0
Does any know of a good book that teaches Java programming? I'm currently taking a class on it and the teacher doesn't teach us anything and the book we have to use sucks.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #1
You could ask the teacher for help (unless it is one of those "I will whip you" schools).

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #2
Check out "Head First into Java"

It explains things really well at the basic level. It doesn't cover Java 5 unless they've released a new copy. It doesn't cover J2EE.

[ Sunday, March 11, 2007 14:08: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #3
Is this your first programming course? I had a rather good prof for my introductory computing course (you'd have to be good if you're the vice dean), so I didn't buy the textbook. Supposedly, it's decent:

Introduction to Programming Using Java: An Object Oriented Approach, 2nd Edition, by Arnow/Dexter/Weiss. Pearson Education, 2003 ISBN 0-321-20006-3

Additionally, there's this, which is more about OOP. Right now, I'm going through Just Java by Peter vanderLinden (the only reason I'm using it is because I'm cheap and it's a hand-me-down from my brother-in-law - it's fairly old). However, it mostly deals with OOP, how Java is different from C++, and other things like threads, Swing, JDBC, and applets. There's very little introductory "this is how you program" material.

I'd recommend going to your municipal library if you have one and just paging through the books you have there before making a purchase.

EDIT: What Micawber said. The O'Reilly books are great if you can afford them.

--------------------
SCSI-wuzzy was a bus.
SCSI-wuzzy caused no fuss.
SCSI-wuzzy wasn't very SCSI, was he?

[ Monday, March 12, 2007 14:20: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Infernal Flamming Muffin:

(unless it is one of those "I will whip you" schools).
I just envisioned a whole category of schools with this quote emblazoned on the front entrance with devils on either side. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #5
I tend to recommend O'Reilly books. The best one is "Java in a nutshell".

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4