Hello Everyone, I came up with Great idea using the game engine of Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Hello Everyone, I came up with Great idea using the game engine of Avernum
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #0
Hello, for those of you who are asking whose this and what is this great idea I will start by introducing myself.

I am Colicedus (when online) and I am a fan of most of the Games by Spiderweb Software.

Now for my idea, I do not know if any one has said this, but Avernum has a very good dungeon game play system, but what catches my eye about it is it reminds me of the British SAS battle tactics during a counter terrorist attack with door ways.

Well I thought Avernum needed a Gladiator mode or something so you can pit your characters over the net fighting or helping out each other fight NPCs.

This may be the least of Jeffs thoughts, but I kinda thought on this on my way home today and was wondering, Why not a Turn based Counter strike Strategy game where you have to guyed your team to rescue hostages, disarm bombs, and kill terrorist played by other players using the same mechanics as Avernum?

There could be many things implemented, like guns and more modern equipment and even more abilities. Such as a Machine gun burst that damages foes from the point of the character in the shape of an arc, the further away the less damage.

also smoke grenades that add fog of war and make it hard to see. Also stealth kills and the ability to see in front of you but not behind, and turning costs action points.

Since I know jack all about Modding the game and don't know scripting of any kind, I decided to donate my idea in the hopes that everyone likes it.

Tell me what you guys think, and good luck on Avernum 5, cant wait till its out for OSx :D

[ Tuesday, February 06, 2007 21:40: Message edited by: Colicedus ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I find myself completely unable to understand how you can combine Counterstrike, which is a real-time first person shooter, and Avernum, which is a [i]turn-based isometric RPG{/url]. Their mechanics have nothing in common and don't translate at all!

But if you can see how it works, well, great. BoA is the closest thing to access to the Avernum engine we have, and it has no way to work online, but people do all kinds of imaginative things.

—Alorael, who is pretty sure the Avernum engine is not built right for damage based on geometry more complicated than a rectangle without a great deal of painstaking scripting. Messing with visibility is also possible but really not fun. What you want sounds like a game similar to but not actually based on Avernum.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Online play with some members would be slow since we are on dial up at 4.8 kB/sec.

You might be able to do some of the things you want with Blades of Avernum and a lot of new scripts to add the features you want.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
This is not the first time that it has been suggested that Avernum be adapted to the FPS format, but I honestly can't fathom how or why this appeals to people. Avernum is about as far from an FPS as you can get. I'm not sure what you mean by "using the same mechanics as Avernum," but surely it is not what is conventionally meant by "mechanics."

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Online play with some members would be slow since we are on dial up at 4.8 kB/sec.
That's an odd way to measure your bandwidth. it's usally measure in kilobits not kilobytes.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #5
Sorry if I have missexplained or did not make my self sound clear enough. ((oh no, my curse))

I did not mean an FPS game from the engine. and when I was referring to Counter strike I was meaning, you command your team of adventures who take up the role of Counter terrorists in a Isometrical world using turns and role playing mechanics and also the design of the game.

The game play would pretty much stay the same except the multi player, and two players fighting each other.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #6
I think he means something more like a co-op than an FPS. Something along the lines of Four Swords in gameplay, but set in the isometric and turn-based world of Avernum, if I understand him correctly.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is offended that I forgot to finish this post, and thus I edit it to appease him.

[ Wednesday, February 07, 2007 00:08: Message edited by: Lenar Labs ]

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #7
I think he means something more like an "Avernum: Tactics," PvP sort of game. Think multiplayer Civ I or II, which is what it would amount to.

I think it could sort of be fun, but it would have a very limited application. It would have to be completely combat-oriented, because the engine doesn't lend itself to two individuals making independent decisions on movement, actions, etc.

[ Wednesday, February 07, 2007 11:02: Message edited by: Drew ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
Well, it'd be difficult... and Avernum's allure has typically been equal parts atmosphere and combat. So, making a new version focused on combat would... erm... A4?

And I could kind of see a way of making decisions with two separate parties working together, but it'd be messy. And then there'd be situations where the parties would split up, and...

Eh, too complex. Try out Blades of Avernum instead.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
There is no way you can implement Counterstrike in anything resembling the Avernum engine and make it good. It brings to mind QuakeHack.

That said, it would be an interesting project to try to make a MUD game based on the Avernum engine. However, it is severely hampered by the fact that (and for goodness' sake, write this down folks, so you don't need to ask again) Avernum isn't open-source and won't be for the forseeable time. And Jeff himself has said he won't write it.

He's also said he won't make Avernum 4 or Nethergate 2, but sequels fit his business model. Releasing a MUD isn't - he'd need servers, new licensing schemes, different shareware mechanisms, and deep pockets.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Actually, all a MUD requires is someone with a lot of time, some spare change, a basic understanding of programming, and Jeff's willingness to look the other way. It would be mechanically very different, but I don't think anyone is deeply attached to the the minutiae of the mechanics of Avernum. The general style, yes, but not the exact formulas.

—Alorael, who actually enjoys playing Civ II multiplayer for a little bit. Once the civilizaions get too big it's no fun, but the beginning is entertaining. Warrior rush!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
Of course it's possible - hell, by now I might be able to program such a thing (given lots of time). But clearly, this would have to be made from scratch, and so it would be just as easy to invent a new engine as trying to copy Jeff's.

Disregarding the technique of illegally decompiling it, of course.

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #12
BoE Monster Arena was the closest thing Spidweb games got to multiplayer capability. That was a forum where players followed a set of rules to design monsters and put them against each other in a tournament using Blades of Exile. There was also an RP where outcomes of battles were desided the same way.

PS By the way, what happened to the Arena? Arena.desperance.net is gone and I don't even remember the URLs of previous locations.

[ Wednesday, February 07, 2007 17:28: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #13
I think it would work though, it may need a different engine you are right...

Do you think if the game was played by Email like Dominions it could work? Ah Fair enough, its lame, I shall take my idea else were... :)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
forum.desperance.net (might be forums or fora) has a couple of boards related to Arena games. I don't know if the original arena archives are kept anywhere.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by The Sorcerer:

forum.desperance.net (might be forums or fora) has a couple of boards related to Arena games. I don't know if the original arena archives are kept anywhere.
It's forums. Fora used to work too, but now redirects to Desp Main.

Recent parts of the arena competition and RP are still archived, and various people may have older bits saved on their computers. Quite a lot is lost to the ages, though. (You're not really missing much.)

[ Thursday, February 08, 2007 01:23: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!