A question of Avernum Engines

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A question of Avernum Engines
Apprentice
Member # 7866
Profile #0
I'm just curious as to how many people prefer one engine to the other. I personally prefer the A1-A3/BoA engine.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 19 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=xzeDEfDZThde"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=xzeDEfDZThde"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
A4 is a better combat engine, but it lost all the other features that made up Avernum. So I went with the older A1-3/BoA engine. I really miss elevations and the real feeling of distance between cities.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #2
Pretty much everyone agrees with you. No poll needed. :)

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Apprentice
Member # 7866
Profile #3
Well, I figured there was no harm in checking.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
Yeah... this poll is very predictable.

Hopefully, once Jeff refines stuff for A5, things will get better.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
It really does muck things up to lump together all the changes that were made. The changes to combat and to geography received extremely different receptions.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #6
A1-3/BoA.

Wasn't there a poll very similar to this not too long ago?

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
I think BoA probably had the worst combat engine of any of the Avernums. I mean, it's cool just because it's BoA, but Jeff basically took to everything that was neat about A3 with a king-sized nerf bat. Especially mages. Damaging spells all received a huge cost hike, and there's no more mass haste spell. :(

(I do like the deterministic lockpicking system, among other things -- in a way, we see a lot of the good things about A4 in embryonic form in BoA. But that doesn't make up for the fact that mages got seriously hosed.)

[ Saturday, January 13, 2007 05:33: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #8
The fact that a creature's magic resistance in BoA is proportional to the square of its level doesn't help anything either.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #9
Even though I miss elevations and the outside map, I went with A4 for one simple reason: I now play all my Spidweb games on a Powerbook, without a keypad. Which means that any engine allowing me to effectively navigate with the mouse instead of the keyboard automatically wins on usability.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
A1-3 have elevation and outdoors. A4 has neat combat.

Personally, I'd like the best of both worlds, and I don't think it's so far-fetched. Given one or the other, though, I'll go with the originals.

—Alorael, who actually wants the best of all worlds. Exile spells in Avernum's engine with A4's nice tweaks!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

Even though I miss elevations and the outside map, I went with A4 for one simple reason: I now play all my Spidweb games on a Powerbook, without a keypad. Which means that any engine allowing me to effectively navigate with the mouse instead of the keyboard automatically wins on usability.
I have always used my mouse to navigate, even with Exile. That said, they sell USB number pads that you can plug into your laptop.

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #12
I've always used a mouse, except when I use a keyboard to travel rapidly in the outdoors. That was really great in Exile, when you couldn't click and hold.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
I went with A4 for one simple reason: I now play all my Spidweb games on a Powerbook, without a keypad. Which means that any engine allowing me to effectively navigate with the mouse instead of the keyboard automatically wins on usability.
Interestingly that's the exact opposite of my reasoning. I can't stand the way that A4 makes me use the mouse so much when I'd rather use the keyboard. IN BoA I'm fond of rapidly typying 'maa' or 'mqabcdefgh' and so forth. I really don't feel that lacking a numberpad on my laptop is much of an issue, because I rarely want to move diagonally, so I don't mind having to use the mouse.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"