Performa 630 to Imac G3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Performa 630 to Imac G3
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I understand that this is not really the place to ask these things, but I searched for it on Google and got nothing. I figured that there are a lot of Mac people here, so i thought I'd just ask and see what turns up.

So. I got this Performa 630, with two of the nicest games there are: F/A-18 Hornet v2.0 and A-10 Cuba. I can't get these games anywhere anymore. Believe, i searched for them. The makers of A-10 Cuba have vanished. I would like to get these games off my performa and put them on my iMac G3. problem is, how? It doesn't have an ethernet port, it doesn't have USB (too old for both of these), and the games don't fit on a diskette. It does have a CD-ROM reader, but no burning capabilities. It runs Mac OS 7.1, I think, though this is easily upgradebale to at leat 7.5.

Would anybody know how to get these games of the Performa, and onto my iMac G3?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
If you can access the internet from both computers, your best bet might be to sign up with a free webhost that offers a respectable amount of storage space, upload the games from your Performa and download them onto your iMac.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

If you can access the internet from both computers, your best bet might be to sign up with a free webhost that offers a respectable amount of storage space, upload the games from your Performa and download them onto your iMac.
Yes i thought of that too, but there are two problems with that:

1) The performa doesn't have ethernet, noly dial-up;
2) Even for dial-up I need a special plug, and not the standard telephone plug.

Would anybody know if you can perhaps take a portable harddisk, and connect it too the Performa? Would that work?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #3
I have a similar computer and had a similar problem. If the files won't fit on a floppy, try using a file splitter. I'm sure that there's one for a Mac somewhere on the internet.
Alternatively, can you take the old hard drive out and hook it up to your new computer? I don't really know how this works for Macs.
Thirdly, do you have access to a ZIP drive? My old Centris 650 can use one on its SCSI port. Then, get a USB converter fot it. This method would probably cost a lot though.
Good luck!

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Warrior
Member # 1688
Profile #4
You can download them from the abandonware site Macintosh Garden.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #5
There IS a way you can file share using a ClarisWorks communications document and the printer ports of the computers, but it didn't work for me and made a mess.

[ Thursday, December 28, 2006 14:29: Message edited by: Robinator is a Beefcake ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by R-Type:

You can download them from the abandonware site Macintosh Garden.
Wow, thanks! A-10 Cuba works perfectly, but F/A-18 Hornet doesn't... But that's not really an issue, as i got replies from somebody saying he would send me the game by mail. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Andraste: Thanks, I'll see if one of those options will work.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #7
Yeah, I've been needing to transfer files from my old performa to my G3 too. Then somehow get Mac Classic apps to run on Tiger. Damn Mac for having changed their OS so much and not giving us a way to use old files... :mad:

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis:

Yeah, I've been needing to transfer files from my old performa to my G3 too. Then somehow get Mac Classic apps to run on Tiger. Damn Mac for having changed their OS so much and not giving us a way to use old files... :mad:
If they're old enough (like 680x0 old), Basilisk II works decently.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis:

It depends what system those programs need. if they are classic classic, Mac OS 6.0.8 and that range, I'd use Mini vmac. If you want to run Mac OS 8 or 9.0.4, then you are out of luck. There is this emulator called Sheepshaver. I managed to get it running, but it won't do programs. It barely handles the system, actually. No, if you want higher than Mac OS 6.0, there is no way you'll get it running in Tiger or any Intel iMac.

EDIT: it seems I was mistaken. the Mac Plus could handle Mac OS 7.5., which means programs of Mac OS 7.5. will work in mini vmac too. i don't know if there will be color, though.

EDIT: I did some research into Basilisk, it will be able to run Mac OS 7.5.3 at least, in colour. I'm trying to set that up now. When I succeed I'll drop a line. In the meantime, if you need any help with mini vmac, just ask me.

EDIT: Okay, so if you use Mac OS 10.4, you are screwed. Basilisk won't work on it: it won't load the OS succesfully, instead it will display a system crash dialog box. On the other hand, mini vmac will run Mac OS 7.0.1 and Mac OS 7,5,3 succesfully, though it's not in colour and you can't configure a hard disk. But still, it does work...

[ Friday, December 29, 2006 05:11: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
I just set up Basilisk II according to these instructions: http://www.gabrielserafini.com/archives/2006/06/25/how-to-run-the-os-9-version-of-concord-on-mac-os-x-intel-macbook

And now I can run BoE and Exile III on my Intel Mac!

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I just set up Basilisk II according to these instructions: http://www.gabrielserafini.com/archives/2006/06/25/how-to-r un-the-os-9-version-of-concord-on-mac-os-x-intel-macbook

And now I can run BoE and Exile III on my Intel Mac!

I definitely should check this out. I'll be able to play Nethergate!

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #12
This morning I got Basilisk working (before i saw your instructions, though, Drakefyre). As always there are problems with the games, but oh well.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #13
Basilisk runs the Exile games just fine form what i can tell, but it won't run Nethergate. :(

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
That's because basilisk emulates a 680x0 computer and Nethergate needs a Power Mac.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #15
It doesn't matter, I now have the Windows version of BoE, E3, & Nethergate running in OSX using Crossover.

IMAGE(http://www.tyranicus.sphosting.com/boe-osx.jpg)

--------------------
The Spiderweb Chat Room