XNA software tool

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: XNA software tool
Apprentice
Member # 5104
Profile #0
hey was wondering if you had checked out this new software suite from microsoft that makes it easy to not only make computer games but port them across to the xbox360.

Could open up some new avenues for your games, I know alot of people are looking for some decent roleplaying games.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #1
There is no way Jeff will ever make an Xbox 360 game.

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 5104
Profile #2
Why not? I mean on live...nota full blown retail game...I mean 10 million potential clients...why avoid that?
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #3
Murr. Maybe it'd make Homeland more interesting, like if it were from a 1st person perspective or something. You can't say it wouldn't be cool. Oh wow, and the multiplayer combat with spells and everything on all the other games would blow Halo out of the water.

I'd say Oceanbound has the biggest calling.

So is this guy trying to advertise or is he genuinely interested?

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Actually, the "why not" seems like a fair question to me. I'm sure Jeff never will do it, but if it's quick enough to port and is still playable with an entirely different interface (dubious), it's a reasonable suggestion.

—Alorael, who sees two barriers. The lack of a keyboard is a killer, and there's not much of an Xbox market that doesn't already have computers. Console gamers seem like the wrong target audience, too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
Jeff has considered it, but the interface would have to be altered and possibly other changes would include graphics that would wow users used to Xbox 360. I doubt he wants to do the extra work just for another platform.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
Because, in spite of us tending to bash Jeff's newer games for their increasing drop in depth and rise in hack'n'slash, porting them to a console might be compared to reading Shakespeare on television.

Not to say that all console gamers prefer shallow content and pretty graphics. But those who don't, have computers.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Apprentice
Member # 5104
Profile #7
Actually I'm a pc gamer and an xbox360 gamer...I honestly think this xna could be a gift to the smaller guys...I mean at the moment if you were to get a game out before anyone else christ you would clean house. I think this has potential, why not use it for what it is.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #8
What everyone is trying to say is that Jeff Vogel is on vacation right now, and rarely looks at non-gaming forums on this web site. If you are seriously interested in exploring this topic, email the man at spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com[/url]. He just may be interested.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Apprentice
Member # 5104
Profile #9
Thanks man, emailed him. I know many of you think the xbox360 is an arcade machine...but seriously if this could help the indie developer we gotta use it.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
I still don't understand how it helps the indie developer.

New market? Not really. Everyone likely to play Spiderweb games has a computer.

New advertising? Not that I'm aware of.

Better interface? Playing Avernum without a keyboard would be painfully awkward. Playing Geneforge would just be unpleasant.

What's in it for Jeff?

—Alorael, who could see doing it if it were a matter of a few hours or a few days at most. If it's going to take as much effort as a cross-platform port like Mac to PC, though, to compete with a tough audience for a non-target demographic, it's losing proposition. Jeff can use the time better in other pursuits.
Apprentice
Member # 5104
Profile #11
It can port stuff from computer to xbox with ease. There are 10 million people that would have access to a game...as for the keyboard thing its pretty much moot if you just bind keys to a button...not saying it wouldn't take time to convert the interface but it could work.

At the moment there are no rpgs for the live section on the 360. This software is not just for the 360 it is also for the pc...does it need way better graphics to succeed? not necessarily...they have simple games on there, if its a good game it has a chance.

I'm not saying it would be easy to port it over(since I am not a programmer, well at least not anymore;)) But what if it was pretty simple?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

I still don't understand...
New market? Not really. ...

New ... interface ... painfully ... unpleasant.

What's in it for Jeff?

Jeff has made few decisions that were universally acclaimed as being [queue Guinness commercial] Brilliant! In fact, some of his business decisions have been downright hostile to his paying customers. I see no logical reason why a port to a console would be off the table. Hell, he may come back from vacation and quit doing any game writing.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
[quote=Rune_74]
It can port stuff from computer to xbox with ease.[/quote

Evidence? Porting tends to be not much fun. I don't refuse to believe it's possible, but I'd want to see someone making that claimi after having done it.

quote:
There are 10 million people that would have access to a game
Almost all of them have computers, and thus access, already. They're not a new market, just a new way of reaching an old market.

quote:
...as for the keyboard thing its pretty much moot if you just bind keys to a button...not saying it wouldn't take time to convert the interface but it could work.
I think Geneforge uses more buttons than an Xbox controller has, and I know I'm dubious about using a controller as a mouse.

quote:
At the moment there are no rpgs for the live section on the 360. This software is not just for the 360 it is also for the pc
That's a good reason. Being the only member of a popular category is fantastic advertising.

quote:
[qb]...does it need way better graphics to succeed? not necessarily...they have simple games on there, if its a good game it has a chance.[/qb
It only needs great graphics if it's competing with major titles, which it's not and never can. Jeff's games either sell themselves as they are or they don't. No disagreement here.

—Alorael, who has a new caveat. As long as Jeff could port a game or two before his competitors got many products to market it would be a good ad campaign. Otherwise it's still questionable.
Apprentice
Member # 5104
Profile #14
You know, if this could get him some recognition outside the hardcore people...this is only a good thing. Christ, if it could sell well and give us some qaulity instead of EA;) well look at it that way.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Elegance:
Qwghlmian or Lojban?:
I'm dubious about using a controller as a mouse.
Agreed. Does anyone else remember the painful WarCraft 2 PlayStation port where you moved the mouse pointer with the D-Pad? *Shudder*

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #16
I remember the Diablo one, but I can imagine how a Warcraft one would be worse.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #17
My objection is that a new port will delay his writing the other games. This would require more beta testing than just the usual Windows version since Jeff would have to find how to make an interface that most gamers would like.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
Dungeon Master was ported years after its original release to the SNES, and Dungeon Master II was ported to the Sega Genesis. They both used a directional pad-driven cursor. From what I understand, neither bombed. However, expectations for graphics were much lower, and those were action-RPGs that involved no dialogue whatsoever.

The quantity of text in any Spiderweb game would kill it almost instantly. Console system RPGs have never had comparable amounts of text, and for years now all the new ones have had speech instead of text anyway.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7799
Profile Homepage #19
If one will read more about XNA Framework then some marketing hype, (s)he definitely will understand why no porting will occur in near future ( if ever will ).

-- Ilya V. Seleznev

--------------------
If you to insist on use of your right to talk nonsense, I'll take advantage of my right to ignore you.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #20
I don't know anything really about XNA, but I just thought I'd chime in that all this talk about a disastrous interface seems a bit off. It would involve a re-design that isn't dependent on a cursor at all, but it wouldn't be hard at all. Remember that, despite what the games are like now, they're all rooted in an interface that was entirely keyboard-based, and the X360 controller has a lot of buttons.
Movement is done with the D-Pad, which might require some simple routines but would not be bad.
4 buttons for the different kinds of spells (I'm thinking Geneforge here), one button for get. You'd have to reinstate a "look" button to access barrels and stuff, but not a big deal. Just have it look into anything within two squares of your lead character, and if there aren't any that close flash the things on-screen that you can look at. Melee combat would be easy; just walk your character into somebody to attack. Magic or crystal attacks would be done with the typical highlighting system.
Not a problem at all.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Apprentice
Member # 5104
Profile #21
Just to touch base he did respond to my email and stated that he was already looking into XNA...

However he did say there is alot of competition.