Linux: what flavour is your favourite?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Linux: what flavour is your favourite?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I came across this website earlier this morning: http://toastytech.com/guis/index.html

It's a website containing the most popular of GUIs ever produced, and it's quite interesting to see the development of all these OSs, at leat I enjoyed looking at them. Anyway, when I got to the Linux section, it sparked my interest. I have been using Mac from the start, and Windows for four years now, yet I never used Linux. At this moment I'm downloading the free, 1 CD version of Linux Mandriva 2007. problem is, I don't know if that's a recommended version of Linux. So, all of you who work/have worked with Linux, what do you suggest? Also, should I just insert the CD with Linux on it into my Windows PC (Not my iMac!) and wait untill it boots Linux, or is there a certain procedure?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

[ Saturday, November 11, 2006 06:08: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #1
OSX is the best flavour of *nix.

No GNUs is good GNUs. :D

Edit.

Macside, there is a great linux distro called Yellow Dog Linux.

[ Saturday, November 11, 2006 07:20: Message edited by: Delicious Vlish ]

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #2
Ever heard of Knoppix?
Knoppix

If you just want to get an impression of how a Linux system works, Knoppix boots from CD and doesn't have to be installed on your harddisk. It's a Debian based distribution.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Yes, Vlish, i certainly agree :)

I succesfully downloaded and installed Linux Mandriva (or Mandrake, i never understood the difference anyway), and after some mangling with BIOS settings I got it to boot succesfully. I'm impressed. The handling is so much better than Windows, that I'm actually thinking of making my PC a dual boot, like my iMac, with Windows and Linux.

I know of none of the Linux versions mentioned here, but I'll be sure to check it out.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #4
I personally prefer Red Hat Fedora Core. Many people claim not to like it, but I've been using it for years and have been highly impressed.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

I personally prefer Red Hat Fedora Core. Many people claim not to like it, but I've been using it for years and have been highly impressed.
And that's indeed the first Linux distro I looked at, but as there was no free version for me to try, i decided to look alsewhere. maybe I missed it?

Anyway, I'm quite certain now I want to make my PC a dual boot, like my iMac, with Windows and Linux. I noticed that Linux Mandriva came with a tool to do this. Can I safely use it, while Windows has already been installed an dproparly configured, or can I forget about that?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
OS X is as close to Linux as I need to come. Really, while Linux is powerful, it isn't (yet) equipped with indispensable software or capabilities that I can't get through the Terminal.

—Alorael, who also just may be biased by very limited Linux experience. He'll switch to Linux when he has a reason to do so and not before.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

And that's indeed the first Linux distro I looked at, but as there was no free version for me to try, i decided to look alsewhere. maybe I missed it?

Anyway, I'm quite certain now I want to make my PC a dual boot, like my iMac, with Windows and Linux. I noticed that Linux Mandriva came with a tool to do this. Can I safely use it, while Windows has already been installed an dproparly configured, or can I forget about that?

I'm not sure where you were looking. They have torrents available on their site here. You'll want to pick one of the i386 ISO image torrents (either CD or DVD).

As far as dual-booting goes, the basic rule of thumb is to make a partition for Windows and install that first. Leave the rest of the drive unformatted and run the Linux installer. It should give you an option to "install to freespace" or something like that. Let it do that and it will partition and format the unformatted space on its own. Later on in the installation, you'll be asked to select a boot loader. Most distros use GRUB. This should automatically detect your Windows installation and give you the option of Windows or Linux when you boot up.

[ Saturday, November 11, 2006 18:40: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
Ah yes, that's Fedora. As far as I understand, Fedora and Redhat are not exactly the same, Fedora being an open source project, a cooperation between Redhat and FOSS. Problem though, is that it will tak up at least 3GB, and since I have 15 GB available on my PC at the moment, I'm not sure I want to fill it a Linux partition already to the top with only the system (after partition I will have about 6 or 7 GB for Linux, the rest goes to Windows).

So, anyway, thanks for all the help. Eventually i chose for the simplest option: just install mandrivia and be done with it, so I did. It now runs on my PC. partitioning went without problems, Windows and Linux run fine. Linux does have problems with the soundcard and hibernating, but it's nothign serieus (I hope).

[ Sunday, November 12, 2006 03:52: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #9
Meh. As long as it has bash, gcc, emacs, and a web browser, I'm happy.

--------------------
Don't carry a grudge. While you're carrying the grudge, the other guy's out dancing.
- Buddy Hackett
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
Any thoughts on the recent deal between Microsoft and Novell to use their flavor of LINUX in future Microsoft software. Microsoft will guarantee not to sue anyone using only the Novell version. Thereby spreading Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt that they will go after the other version.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #11
It won't go anywhere. All versions of Linux use the GNU Public License, which keeps it open-source and free. Anyone can take the code from a Linux distribution and modify it to create their own distro, and this will not change.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room