To Battle

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: To Battle
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #25
1. an opposing nation just like your nation in every way other than name (given that they attacked your nation first)?
Pacifist - I don't really care which nation I am subject to.

2. an opposing religion (given that the religion you follow endorses the war and you will have to convert if you lose)?
Fight to the death and hopefully avoid being captured and tortured.

3. an opposing government type (Democracies vs. Dictatorships, or whichever type you hate the most)?
Pacifist, though I would probably be killed by said government eventually for breaking one of thier rules.

4. an opposing economic theory (Capitalists vs. Communists, or whichever theory you hate the most)?
If my family and I are starving because of poor management I would fight. Otherwise no.

5. an opposing class (Bourgeois vs. Proletariat, whichever one you aren’t)?
Meh.

6. racists (given that you are a member of their race)?
I would fight to defend those they attack, but I would probably not plan any offensive attacks.

7. an alien species bent on the destruction of mankind (you may live as a slave mining salt if you surrender)?

Fight to the death.

8. me (given that you're 'strong' and fairly well off under my rule)?
Meh. See answers to 1, 3, & 4.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #26
1- You attack, I defend. Logic.
2- Religion is not for war.
3- Maybe.
4- Like 3.
5- Like 4.
5- We are all humans. No.
6- Yes. When the peace's hopes are all lost...
7- No. I like you. :)

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
Fair enough, Tully. Your implication was a foreign power imposing each of your situations, which requires absolute authority. If these situations arose from within I don't think it would be worth fighting. There are better ways to change the system than warfare, especially given that all of these would somehow be under non-despotic forms of government.

I still think that these invasions don't arise in a vacuum, though. Don't make the world angry at you and don't make yourself very obviously vulnerable and you can live quite happily without having to defend yourself or fighting aggressive wars for the fun of it.

—Alorael, who maintains that the interesting cases are still preemptive defense and interventionism. How many people would change their answers if they and their respective countries were third parties to a dispute between a similar country and whichever forces of potential evil Tully assigned?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #28
Most of you here seem like pacifists ...

Hmmm, where did you get such an idea?

... which is an easy position to take when your way of life is not under attack. But what if major aspects of the way you live were under attack? ...

Well, one could determine that out of the fact that almost everyone here argues about the smallest of things possible,don't you agree?

But anyway, since you insist:

Would you go to war with and possibly die fighting against:
1. an opposing nation just like your nation in every way other than name (given that they attacked your nation first)?
Hmm, I don't see why two nations that are exactly the same would fight ... unless they are both imperialistic and want to rule the entire world, or just hate everyone, but then if we were all pacifists, how could this be possible?

2. an opposing religion (given that the religion you follow endorses the war and you will have to convert if you lose)?
I always fight every religion and encourage faith!

3. an opposing government type (Democracies vs. Dictatorships, or whichever type you hate the most)?
That you can guess from my name :D .

4. an opposing economic theory (Capitalists vs. Communists, or whichever theory you hate the most)?
This one's difficult. I despise capitalism as seen today, and like communism (the true one, of course), but you can only achieve succes in communism through going through capitalism first ...
So this one should be restated ...

Again an unanswerable one. You have bad rich people and you have good. You have poor(er) people who deserve more and the ones who are themselves guilty for their low standards.
So NO, I guess, coz classes don't determine a person.

5. racists (given that you are a member of their race)?
Just one question:
How do you call a person who hates a racist? :P

6. an alien species bent on the destruction of mankind (you may live as a slave mining salt if you surrender)?
I think that an alien species capable of interstellar travel would be so intelligent that it'd not try to kill everyone.

7. me (given that you're 'strong' and fairly well off under my rule)?
I'd not fight you, coz then, who could we make jokes about if not the emperor?

[ Monday, November 06, 2006 08:38: Message edited by: 25AnarhIztok11 ]

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #29
Yes.
No. This type of war is merely an excuse for slaughtering someone who disagrees with you.
Undecided. Mainly because it depends more on who's leading using that form of government. There is such a thing as a 'benevolent dictatorship'.
No. Their economic theory may be better than my own. At any rate, there's no point in taking up arms against it.
No. This is as good as racism. No matter how a government or country is structured, there will always be different classes.
5. racists (given that you are a member of their race)?
Against people that are just somewhat prejudiced? No. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. However, I WOULD fight against people that are acting on the prejudice, and using it as justification to go after that race.
6. an alien species bent on the destruction of mankind (you may live as a slave mining salt if you surrender)?
What kind of question is that? Of course!
7. Emperor Tullegolar (given that you're 'strong' and fairly well off under my rule)?
Hmmmm... I just don't think I know enough about your form of government to actually decide.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Hmmmm... I just don't think I know enough about your form of government to actually decide.
Complete and utter oppression of the weak under the rule of the strong, to a degree that Ayn Rand has wet dreams about.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Allkind:

How many people would change their answers if they and their respective countries were third parties to a dispute between a similar country and whichever forces of potential evil Tully assigned?
Meh, I'd keep my answers. I mean, for 1-4, I'd only help defend, meaning that once the theater of war moved to the offensive, I'd politely request to be transferred.

Or, failing that, I'd shoot myself in the foot. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Sirrus:

quote:
Complete and utter oppression of the weak under the rule of the strong, to a degree that Ayn Rand has wet dreams about.

There's still some factors that none of us know about yet. We don't know all of the ins ad outs of Tullegolar's government. As such, I take a neutral stance.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #33
We know enough about Ego's beliefs that I think a preemptive war could be justified.

—Alorael, who thinks that the alien invasion question deserves more consideration. Humans haven't exactly shown themselves to be wonderful, and there is a lot of misery. There might be a good chance that the net happiness of the universe would increase if humans were eradicated.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #34
Grimm has an epiphany:

A lack of aggression does not a pacifist make.A pacifist does not a weakling make.Far too many weaklings try to compensate by becoming aggressive.That said, aggression does not a weakling make.Conlusion:
What is the point of starting an armed conflict in modern society, aside from territorial or political pursuit?
Must one make war simply because they are brave or strong?
Or must one make war because the other person is wrong?
Like it or not, Tully, you'll find that most of the people here will firmly defend what they believe to be true, and occasionally, through (mostly) rational argument, attempt to convince others to agree with them. We don't assault other people's class, religion, race, ideology because we have no need to and we respect their right to what they have.
Now, many of us like to intellectually challenge others (and one particular unmentioned party prefers to outright decry anything he disagrees with), but that isn't a war.

Why kill when you can reform and cause true change of heart?
Why not defend what you hold dear and know why you hold dear?
Why not try to cause change when you can? Everyone knows that the world needs change. No one can agree on what that change is.

Me, I'm not an aggressive person. I prefer to manipulate than destroy. Because destoying something undermines its usefulness.
Sometimes, however, there is no other alternative.
I will fight when the need arises. Make no mistake of that.

EDIT: Added an addendum to the epiphany.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin would like to (mis)quote Ash Lael's sig from a while ago.
Violence is not the answer. Violence is the question. The answer is Yes.

[ Monday, November 06, 2006 13:39: Message edited by: Lenar Labs ]

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #35
1. An opposing nation just like your nation in every way other than name (given that they attacked your nation first)?
No.
2. An opposing religion (given that the religion you follow endorses the war and you will have to convert if you lose)?
Yes.
3. An opposing government type (Democracies vs. Dictatorships, or whichever type you hate the most)?
Yes.
4. An opposing economic theory (Capitalists vs. Communists, or whichever theory you hate the most)?
No.
5. An opposing class (Bourgeois vs. Proletariat, whichever one you aren’t)?
No.
5. Racists (given that you are a member of their race)?
Yes.
6. An alien species bent on the destruction of mankind (you may live as a slave mining salt if you surrender)?
No.
7. Me (given that you're 'strong' and fairly well off under my rule)?
YES!!!

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.

Pages