Life! I give you life!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Life! I give you life!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #0
Alright, everyone. Now that we've seen ballot initiatives from the west coast of the US, here's something straight out of the heartland. The issue at hand is stem cell research, which has had a lot of political grandstanding surrounding it. Given that, I'll limit the endorsements section.

quote:
Official Fair Ballot Language for Missouri Constitutional Amendment 2:

A "yes" vote will amend the Missouri Constitution to allow and set limitations on stem cell research, therapies, and cures which will:

ensure Missouri patients have access to any therapies and cures, and allow Missouri researchers to conduct any research, permitted under federal law;ban human cloning or attempted cloning;require expert medical and public oversight and annual reports on the nature and purpose of any stem cell research;impose criminal and civil penalties for any violations; andprohibit state or local governments from preventing or discouraging lawful research, therapies and cures.A "no" vote would not ensure that stem cell research permitted under federal law is allowed to be conducted in Missouri and that Missouri patients have access to stem cell therapies and cures permitted under federal law.
This measure will have no impact on taxes.
The full text is here.
A few endorsements:

For:
Clare McCaskill - Candidate for U.S. Senate, Missouri seat (Democrat)Michael J. Fox - actorAgainst:Jim Talent - Current U.S. Senator for Missouri (Republican)Jeff Suppan - St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher

[ Thursday, October 26, 2006 22:05: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 10 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=QADCZsRSrnup"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=QADCZsRSrnup"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
I'm not a big fan of constitutional amendments for hotbed emotional issues like this. I'm also not a fan of Suppan. I would be curious to hear opinions as to why this issue is worthy of the constitution of our fine state from the middle of the nowhere section of the country. :P

Please visit the Voting Booth for all your electoral needs.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
1) As Salmon says, is a constitutional amendment really necessary for this? But hell, if it's genuinely the case that nothing short of amending the constitution will guarantee that the proposal is enforceable, so be it.

2) The definition of "human cloning" in the proposal is a bit weird. It bans some things that technically aren't human cloning, and doesn't ban some things that technically are. There are good reasons for why the definition is the way it is (and why it covers the things it covers and not the ones that it doesn't), but there are better ways to phrase it that don't require using misleading terminology. Likewise, the definition of "blastocyst" is broader than the definition biologists use.

3) The proposal is generally a step in the right direction, but I'd rather the restrictions weren't so, well, restrictive. Basically, all it allows for is the use of excess IVF embryos for stem cell research.

I have some more issues with the technical side of the legislation, but those are my main points.

[ Friday, October 27, 2006 01:50: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #3
I say yes. A little control can be useful, after all.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #4
Yes. Because this could finally be the way to eradicate some of these diseases that make an already hard life nearly impossible.

By the way, did anyone see the interview with Michael J. Fox on the CBS Evening News?

[ Friday, October 27, 2006 07:33: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

1) As Salmon says, is a constitutional amendment really necessary for this?

3) The proposal is generally a step in the right direction, but I'd rather the restrictions weren't so, well, restrictive. Basically, all it allows for is the use of excess IVF embryos for stem cell research.

I've heard about this measure on radio this morning. Apparently, the state legislature was/is considering a law that would make any use of embryonic stem cells a felony crime. So even a very restrictive measure like this looks necessary and has to be written into constitution to prevent it from being overturned by the legislature.

As for my opinion on biotech research, I'd draw the line somewhere before genetic engineering (don't mess with stuff we don't fully understand) and reproductive human cloning (there are some species that reproduce by "cloning" humans aren't one of them). However, things like this aren't even on the table in America and will not be for many decades, so for now I support all research in the area and even very restrictive measures like this are steps in the right direction.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
I'm interested in what Tullegolar will say about this...

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
It's a travesty that constitutions have just become some kind of super-legislation. This belongs in the constitution even less than flag burning. I'd vote yes, but this is really a legislative issue and should stay there.

—Alorael, who would like to have someone propose that any constitutional amendment be successfully passed twice with a period of no less than six years in between. Amendments don't need to happen fast and they don't need to happen over hot-button issues. (Yes, this is a facetious suggestion. A better one would be nice.)
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
It's a travesty that constitutions have just become some kind of super-legislation. This belongs in the constitution even less than flag burning. I'd vote yes, but this is really a legislative issue and should stay there.

—Alorael, who would like to have someone propose that any constitutional amendment be successfully passed twice with a period of no less than six years in between. Amendments don't need to happen fast and they don't need to happen over hot-button issues. (Yes, this is a facetious suggestion. A better one would be nice.)
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
This isn't the greatest solution for reasons already mentioned, but Dikiyoba willing to take the bad with the good for this one.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
Most of the debate is over human cloning, and the numerous groups trying to make it look like the amendment allows it. And a lot of it is about Jim Talent trying to get his sorry self re-elected... his "faith and moral values" platform apparently prevents him from reading the actual amendment, because he opposes it on the grounds that cloning is immoral.

Another aspect of it is that some of us in Missouri want the state to have the chance at doing serious research. Washington University in St. Louis in particular, which has an incredibly prominent (read: full of itself) medical school...

But basically, you can't go anywhere without seeing ads for it now.

To add to the insanity (and because it's kinda funny), here's an opposition site, one which has had a lot of media time lately: www.2Tricky.org. Yes, they actually did that.

quote:
Originally written by Spookee Salmon:

our fine state from the middle of the nowhere section of the country.
... :P

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
Well, they damn well better find a cure for bureaucracy is all I can say, and quickly too!

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #12
As of 2:00 am, Central Standard Time, this measure has passed, with 50.4% of precincts voting yes and 49.6% voting no.

So there. :P

(Other Missouri highlights, at press time, are Clare McCaskill's victory over incumbent Kit Bond, and the defeat of a measure to raise the tobacco tax)

--------------------