Here's you break kid. You're gonna be a star!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Here's you break kid. You're gonna be a star!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #0
Ballot Measure 41 - A lot of big words and such.

This is a boring tax measure, with exciting and newness built right in. The measure offers to reduce your state income tax bill. The total reduction in 2006-2007 will be $151 million, and that will increase over time. Oh, the text of the measure is short, let's take a look at that.
quote:
BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF OREGON:
The Oregon Revised Statutes shall be revised by adding the following section, which section shall read:
Section 1. On personal state income tax returns for tax years beginning on or after Jan 1, 2007, a deduction shall be allowed against income for each dependent, taxpayer, and spouse, lawfully claimed as an exemption on an Oregon taxpayer's federal income tax return. The total amount of the deduction allowed on the state income tax return shall not be less than the total amount of the deduction allower for all exemptions onthe taxpayers federal tax return.
(a) Any legislative Act repealing or delaying implementation of all or part of this section, or decreasing the amount of the deduction enacted by this section shall be deemed to be a tax increase and subject to the supermajority requirement of the Oregon Constitution and the prohibition on attachment of an emergency clause to the Act.
(b) A taxpayer shall have the option of using the existing Exemption Credit, or a larger Exemption Credit adopted by the state legislative assembly , in lieu of the deduction set forth in this section, if the taxpayer would pay a lower tax using the Exemption Credit than by taking the deduction enacted by this section.
Whooooooeeeeee! There's some mighty purty words. Let's see who came up with them, shall we?

OMG!!!!! It's Kevin Mannix and R Russell Walker! We know them! They're old BM buddies! They gave it a cute name too. It's called the Oregon Family Tax Cut and if you don't support it you're a COMMUNIST!!!!

Just because I've done it before, let's look at those in support and opposition of this measure.
SupportingRussell Walker, Oregon Citizens For A Sound Economy PACRussell Walker, Freedomworks (twice)Russell Walker, Taxpayer Defense FundLoren ParksJason Williams, Taxpayer Association of OregonOpposingJason Reynolds, Oregon Consumer LeagueJerry Cohen, AARPPhil Donovan, Defend Oregon CoalitionLarry Wolf, Oregon Education Assoc.Anita Olsen, Oregon PTAKelly Bach, Oregon State Fire Fighters CouncilJeff Leighty, Oregon State Police Officers' Assoc.Becca Uherbelau, Defend Oregon Coalition four contributionsLisa ZavalaMargaret Noel, Oregon LWVTed Kulongoski, Governor of OregonDon Loving, Oregon AFSCME Council 75Janet Webster, The Oregon Library AssocJill Eiland, Intel CorpTom Chamberlain, Oregon AFL-CIOMartin Taylor, Oregon Nurses AssocMorgan Allen, Defend Oregon Coalition twiceJim Davis, Oregon State Council for Retired CitizensMark Schwebke, American Federation of Teachers - OregonLinda Burgon, SEIU Local 503, OPEUMerlene Martin, Oregon School Employees AssocRev. Alcena Boozer, Ecumenical Ministries of OregonLynn Lundquist, Oregon Business AssocJonah Edelman, Stand For ChildrenChuck Clemans, Clackamas Community CollegeBob Shiprack, Oregon State Building and Construction Trades CouncilSeveral people representing, Gov't workers that keep prisoners in prisonPhillip Kennedy-Wong, Human Services Coalition of OregonChristy Mason, Our OregonTina Kotek, Children First for OregonGerald Scovil, PSU Alumni Assoc.Duncan Wyse, Oregon Business CouncilTim Kral, Oregon Rehabilition AssocI need a break. Okay. So, please discuss. Imagine the ramifications of this tax change and what effect it will have on the state of Oregon.
And vote. Voting is important.

[ Saturday, October 21, 2006 09:08: Message edited by: Spookee Salmon ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 11 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=skkhCgOFNKeB"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=skkhCgOFNKeB"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #1
Guess mine. I love that job.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
I vote no. Just because I'm a communist. :P

But seriously, I find it hard to understand exactly what is intended by this measure.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #3
Someone who goes to -X-'s school is a communist. His name is Kevin, he is out of shape to the point of wondering how he is alive, and thinks that he is smart because he knows useless things like, and -X- quotes, "Oh, yeah? Then when was the fall of Constantinople?!?" Kevin is then beat up and goes berserk, yelling "WRAAAAARGHH" and charging at people who could, and have, beat him up while drinking a carton of milk.

Overall, he's not a credit to communism.

[ Saturday, October 21, 2006 11:34: Message edited by: -X- ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
Dikiyoba thinks the list of people opposing the measure speaks for itself. No. And anything that has to be read three times to be understood should be voted down on principle.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
Oh, did I mention that you can deduct (from income) any state taxes when you file your federal return?

That means, under this proposal, Oregon residents would pay an extra $40 million annually to the Federal government.

:)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
I said abstain. Simply because Michigan is already throwing enough political junk my direction.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #7
More lottery tickets for me! Wheeeeee!

By the way, did I understand correctly that you can deduct for each dependent the same amount you deduct on the federal return for all dependents? So if you have enough kids, the state of Oregon will have to pay you, instead of you paying taxes. Yes to the 20-child families!

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #8
quote:
The Oregon Revised Statutes shall be revised by adding the following section, which section shall read:
Section 1. On personal state income tax returns for tax years beginning on or after Jan 1, 2007, a deduction shall be allowed against income for each dependent, taxpayer, and spouse, lawfully claimed as an exemption on an Oregon taxpayer's federal income tax return. The total amount of the deduction allowed on the state income tax return shall not be less than the total amount of the deduction allower for all exemptions onthe taxpayers federal tax return.
(a) Any legislative Act repealing or delaying implementation of all or part of this section, or decreasing the amount of the deduction enacted by this section shall be deemed to be a tax increase and subject to the supermajority requirement of the Oregon Constitution and the prohibition on attachment of an emergency clause to the Act.
(b) A taxpayer shall have the option of using the existing Exemption Credit, or a larger Exemption Credit adopted by the state legislative assembly , in lieu of the deduction set forth in this section, if the taxpayer would pay a lower tax using the Exemption Credit than by taking the deduction enacted by this section.
Can someone please explain this to me? No, don't snigger, I really don't understand it.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by The Stew Boy:

quote:
Can someone please explain this to me? No, don't snigger, I really don't understand it.

This proposition talks about tax exemptions. "Exemptions" are discounts people get on their taxes for every "dependant" they have. ("Dependant" is a person they care for, such as a child, or a non-working spouse.) The idea of this proposal is to make this discount for Oregon state tax at least as high as it is for Federal tax. It also includes several statements saying "this discount can never be removed or decreased without direct divine intervention." (It doesn't really say "divine intervention", but it requires any change to be approved by a 67% vote, which is close enough.)

The first problem with this is that Federal tax rate is several times higher than state tax rate, so giving same discount on state tax as on federal tax would put much higher emphasis on that discount. The second problem is that, as written, it seems that the discount would grow exponentially with family size, because it says that each dependant would get the same discount federal government gives to all dependants together. And the final problem is that cutting taxes is nice, but only if you say what state servicies (social security, schools, roads, police, etc.) you want to stop paying for.

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 14:02: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.