It can be done!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: It can be done!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #0
Do you have a shiny new Intel Mac? Are you upset because you can't run Nethergate or Exile, as well as myriad other classic Mac programs? Well, take a look at this. I haven't actually tried it yet because I'm still trying to get hold of a OS 9.0 installation CD. A friend of mine has one and is looking for it, but obviously, someone got it to work!

Update: The link given for TomeViewer doesn't work, but this one does.

[ Monday, August 07, 2006 20:28: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Since most Spiderweb games have Window versions you could always run them on the Windows side of your Intel Mac. That's one advantage to buying CD-ROM copies instead of downloads since you usually get both versions of the older games.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #2
Yes, I know that. However, this is a handy little trick tht will let you run many programs that do not have Windows versions.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #3
Perhaps an easier way?

http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001761

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
Tyranicus! That's exactly the program, that i got to work a few days before you started this topic! I also thought it would be nice to play Nethergate, and all those other outdated games which still run on my old Imac G3. So I installed the thing.

However, indeed, aquiring a CD is rather complicated. maybe I too should look for a friend who has the CD. The only problem is, is that it MUST be a retail CD, and not a CD that you got with a Mac, like me. I got system 9.0.4 with my old Imac, but it doesn't work on my Intel Imac (for reasons which I hope I don't have to explain).

Buying a CD is an option though, and it will probably cost me not more than 10 euros, though i still find it a pity.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Drakey the Spud:

Perhaps an easier way
That will only work if the program you want to run has a Windows version. :P

[ Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:52: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Like all spidweb games :P

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
Only if one ignores the wonders of Lost Souls, Galactic Core, and Ocean Bound. :P

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #8
I have a little question...if i have a normal pc with windows and stuff, my system supports Mac? or I need different hardware??
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #9
There is no official PC support for Mac. OSX Intel will most likely run on your PC, but it might not work properly, especially if you have anything other than ATI or Intel graphics.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #10
RIGHT...I think that I'll eventually understand that...
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #11
MAC is related to Apple. PC/Windows is related to Macintosh. Apple/MAC now supports some Macintosh/PC but Macintosh/PC does not support Apple/MAC.

Easier?

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I thought I had a pretty good grip on this and I have no idea what you just said.

Macs, which are computers, usually run Mac OS, which is an operating system. Non-Mac hardware, generally termed PCs, run Windows, Linux, and whatever else. Apple's newest Macs (computers) now use hardware similar to PCs, so they can run Windows or Linux in addition to Mac OS. I think that's already clear to everyone, but it can't hurt to make sure.

Because Apple makes its money from hardware, they do not want PCs running Mac OS. They have deliberately made it difficult to do so. I have therefore been led to believe that running Mac OS on non-Mac hardware only works through ugly hacks and the result is not particularly stable. Tyran alleges that certain graphics cards are less stable than others.

—Alorael, who has now stated the obvious and added nothing new. On the bright side, he did it very wordily.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #13
OK, I misspoke. A few nVidia cards may run properly with OSX. However, for the most part, Macs have ATI cards or Intel integrated graphics. Therefore, if you have different graphics, there will most likely be no graphics drivers for OSX. With enough tweaking, you might be able to get a Linux driver working in OSX, but it would most likely be not nearly as stable as something that is natively supported in OSX. Also, it's something that is beyond most people's expertise. I'm presuming that chicho fits in this category. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

[ Wednesday, August 09, 2006 19:30: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #14
Almost all Macs in the past four-five years have shipped standard with nVidia video cards, with an option for ATI if you so desired.

[ Thursday, August 10, 2006 03:07: Message edited by: the Great Potato ]

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by the Great Potato:

Almost all Macs in the past four-five years have shipped standard with nVidia video cards, with an option for ATI if you so desired.
Um... no, they didn't. Most macs were with ATI graphics cards, The only ones to have nVidia were the Powermacs, and their just released follow-ups, of which i forgot the name.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
Option 1 - Mac shipped one type to Europe and the better type to the states.

Option 2 - Thralni is being contrary, unaware of the danger in poking the great potato.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #17
Only the powermacs? You mean the bulk of all computers? Plus the iMacs and some PowerBooks, and all new Intel-processor computers.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by the Great Potato:

Only the powermacs? You mean the bulk of all computers? Plus the iMacs and some PowerBooks, and all new Intel-processor computers.
My MacBook Pro with ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 would probably disagree with that statement. :P

In fact, let's take a look at the current Mac product line:

MacBook: Intel graphics
MacBook Pro: ATI graphics
Mac Mini: Intel graphics
iMac: ATI graphics
Mac Pro: nVidia graphics with an option for a superior ATI card.

i rest my case.

[ Thursday, August 10, 2006 07:10: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #19
Okay, the Intel models don't ship with nVidia (except for the Mac Pro, which has an even more superior nVidia option :P ).

But my iMac and mother's G4 PowerBook both shipped with nVidia video cards.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
I myself have an Intel Imac, so trust me to check the hardware/software before I say anything about it on these boards.

yes, I learnt my lesson. Don't say anything on these boards without having evidence, unless its just an assumption.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #21
Any nVidia Mac with a PowerPC processor does not matter though. OSX Intel might not have support for cards that Apple never intends to use with its Intel Macs. My whole point was that nVidia support for OSX Intel is most likely limited to a few cards.

Edit: An iMac, Thralni? I thought you were getting a Mac Mini.

[ Thursday, August 10, 2006 08:54: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
Yeah, that was what I thought, but looking at the price of the Mac mini and the Intel Imac, constantly comparing their specifics, I came to the conclusion that what I would want to do with my computer wouldn't be a possibility on the Mac mini. The Imac had a better graphics card, was faster, had a nice screen, web cam, front row, etc. etc.

So there. I'm currently the proud owner of an Intel Imac :)

[ Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:25: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!