I'm a Runescape freak how about you?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I'm a Runescape freak how about you?
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #25
I have tried Runescape. Many times. There's a reason why it's name can be interpreted "Run & Escape".

Seriously, I don't understand how something this mind-numbing can be addictive.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #26
I rather like playing Runescape. By enjoying the game and the playing I do not mean, and please note this, that either one would have anyting to do with the multitude of other players which I ignore pretty much entirely. Their badly spelled chatter is mere background chatter to me. I pay no attention. They don't bother me, I don't bother them.

I know the game is repetitive, but more or less basically so is every other game out there. You have to do things multiple times to get more of whatever you want. At least there's many different things you can get bored with, rather than just fighting for gaining experience and levels.

What usually happens is that (if I have money available) I start a subscription, maybe play for about 10 days of that, get bored, wait a week, cancel subscription, go about with my life for some weeks until I want to play some again, try playing it for free, pay for a subscription and repeat above. Yes, it's bit of a waste of money. :\

But playing it free is just too boring. And I can't do much anyting with the stuff I have in the bank because it's too full. I couldn't put anything back if I took something out.
But generally I like it. I've got playing going on this week too. Let's see if I can make it to the end of next week as well.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #27
I've been playing runscape off and on for about 4 years. It's no Spiderweb game, to be sure, but I enjoy it enough to consider it worth my 5 bucks a month. And it's true, being a member is vastly and drastically better than the free area.

What's your screen name Jewels?

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #28
Curse you all!

Now I've started playing again. Already mined about half a ton (literally) of coal, and started the endless rune essence mining again.

This will keep me busy for at least a week or more.

--

Well anyway, what are all your screen names? Our playing times probably don't overlap (I haven't seen Riibu yet :( ) but whenever they do, it'd be nice to know it.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #29
Well, I usually play around this time, whatever it says up there. Noon for me. I'm not playing today, though, I'm on my own computer copying stuff to CDs. This damn comp's been making awful scary noises lately. Again. So, you know, just in case...

Also, I probably won't be playing tomorrow either, because most likely I'm going to spend the whole day with my mom and little sister at Linnanmäki, which is an amusement park. I'm more interested at all the different foods I'm going to eat there rather than the rides. :\ (but that's only because it's not as much fun going on rides alone than with someone else!)

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #30
It's been quite a bit of time since I've gone near RS, but in case I ever take leave of my senses as well as my sanity, the sn is Kragens.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #31
I know what Runescape is, of course, but I have practically no idea what it's like. I have to say it's not sounding worthwhile, so far, to try it myself to find out.

What the heck kind of game has you mining for a week? Could someone fill me in on just why this is even a candidate for being considered fun?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

I know what Runescape is, of course, but I have practically no idea what it's like. I have to say it's not sounding worthwhile, so far, to try it myself to find out.

What the heck kind of game has you mining for a week? Could someone fill me in on just why this is even a candidate for being considered fun?

Ah, grinding. Monotonous character-building has a long history in RPGs, starting with old, old games like Wizardry. Way back when, making combat so hard as to require massive level-building was the only way to extend the length of a game beyond a certain point, since adding more plot or bigger dungeons to explore would take prohibitive amounts of disk space and design work.

For much the same reasons, grinding has become a more or less universal aspect of online RPGs, designed to drag out the gameplay experience and to give you something to do while you wait for your friends to come online. By keeping that next carrot dangling a short distance ahead all the time -- two more levels and you can use a new weapon, three more levels and you get a new spell -- MMORPGs encourage players to spend huge amounts of time on the game in order to keep progressing. See, the thing about MMORPGs is that they're designed to become a way of life for many of their players.

Mind you, it's a pretty poor way of life, if you ask me.

[ Sunday, July 23, 2006 05:18: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #33
Ugh, I started it up, just because of nostalgia, walked from Lumbridge to Draynor and proptly shut it down.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #34
Adrasha_Vaux lvl 63

Though I haven't been on since mid-June and am hoping not to restart the play. It's all or nothing for me. I can't seem to play in moderation, and I have way too much to do other then play.

My resolve hasn't weakened... yet.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #35
Right, so all this talk made me try out several new MMORPGs. ROSE Online was a more cartoony and larger (in terms of GB) version of KalOnline, so I quit that right quick. I didn't want to download KalOnline either, so I started playing Runescape again.

Can someone tell me how much you would pay for 100 rune essence? And also 1000 rune essence?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #36
10 gp/essence, I think. It all depends.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #37
it's usually 20-30/ess unless you find someone who really wants to get rid of it quick. I buy for 20 though some people won't sell for less then 30.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #38
Now that they added in pure essence, 5-10 gp max. Pure ess is 20-30.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #39
Just because I'm too lazy to read the faqs, what is pure essence and how do you obtain/produce/refine it?

As for idiocy, it just went to a new level. As Riibu knows, I usually gather experience and money by producing and selling steel weapons (actually, it was iron when we last met, but that's what you get from grinding).

Anyway, selling to a shop is easy, but you can get about double that price by selling to other players. This is because the shop will sell at three times the price it buys at, so when I sell at twice what I'd get at a shop, the buyer still gets a better deal than at the shop.

Unfortunately, selling to players involves standing around in places where a lot of people come through and repeatedly shouting "selling steel chainmail, 600 gp!". For a long time.

Along comes someone who asks: "What does it do?"

What does it do? It's chainmail... what does a sword do?

--------------------
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #40
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering why I couldn't sell essence, even at half the former usual price. If prices are so low now, I think I'll move on to coal and gold.

quote:
Originally written by Drow:

Just because I'm too lazy to read the faqs, what is pure essence and how do you obtain/produce/refine it?
Rune essence is obtainable after completing the Rune Mysteries quest, which is given by Duke Horatio upstairs in Lumbridge Castle. Rune essence can be mined in an area which you must be teleported to; you'll know who teleports you after you finish the quest. If you are a member and have a mining level of 30 or above, you can mine pure essence instead of rune essence.

Rune essence and pure essence allow a player to craft runes. Rune essence can only be used to craft Air, Body, Mind, Water, Earth, and Fire runes. Pure essence can craft anything.

--------------------
quote:

Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #41
My brother plays Runescape. I think it sucks.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #42
Pure essence is only usable by members and is used to make runes that only members can make. If you're a member you automatically mine pure essence at mining level 30 or something like that. If you're not a member you automatically mine regular essence. It was Jadex's way of cutting down on the real money sale of rune essence by people who just make a new free account whenever they get banned for it.

They changed over about two weeks before I stopped playing and on free worlds regular ess was still 20-30 ea. A lot can happen in a month, I suppose.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #43
I've seen regular essence sell for about 30 gp (on free worlds). What advantages does pure essence have - are there runes that require it?

--

And I just realized that while grinding is a way to kill time, the only time RS is really enjoyable is when Riibu is also online. :P

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #44
Runes ess can only craft f2p craftable runes. Pure ess can craft any runes.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #45
Ah, yes. My presence can make even playing Runescape enjoyable. And I'll be happy to do that for free, too!

No, not in the sense that you should pay, but Jagex should, so maybe people would hate Runescape less.

Oh well. I was online today for quite some hours and managed to do all kinds of productive things. Err.. well, kind of productive. Playing-wise. I'd play some more today, but I suddenly have this craving to do some reading instead. Fanfiction! :\

But tomorrow I will be playing more, probably. Everybody login so we can form a huge line and go conga through the cities! :P

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #46
The Runescape...THE RUNESCAPE! Please, no more Runescape! In the beginning, I tried to become a wizard, but they ruined the spellcasting system. I eventually gave up and became a Mace-wielding warrior. I currently have full steel arm,or and a steel sq. shield, and an adamantine mace, but I swear I'll never play that game again.

My name WAS Light_Mage14.

But I play Knight Online now(Server Cypher1, name is Eleihoff, El Moradian, I usually hang out near El Morad castle), Which has proved to be far better than Runescape. Perhaps even the best MMORPG I've ever played. It's free, too. With a membership option, of course. But, alas! It has grinding, as well! At least you have the option of doing quests to earn part of your experience, and the monsters can be diverse, unlike Runescape.

[ Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:24: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest. ]

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #47
Riibu: That'll be so awesome! The only drawback is that a long conga chain would depend on every link remaining online and following - otherwise the chain splits up. But it'd be nice to see if we can set a record. :D

--

Just met a scammer. Wanted to offer me "1 mill" for making carrier runs from the lumber yard to a bank and back. I tagged along out of interest, then bolted when we reached Wilderness Level [his level - my level - 1]. Probably wanted the nice gold-trimmed adamant helm.

I should have left all my stuff in the bank anyway - makes running easier. I wonder what he'd have said then. "No longer interested." :P

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #48
Really, the second you see someone offering 1 mill for anything aside from a rare, you should already have a "lekh l'azazel, menuvel" (or your language's equivelant of "f*** off, bastard") ready.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #49
Right, so I finally reached my goal of entering the Crafting Guild. In that time I made about 30K. I bought myself a Fire staff, wore my Frog Prince outfit, crafted some bling, and changed my hair color, and generally was pimpin'.

I was left with an extra 25K or so. I tried to give it away, but only the greedy, brave, and stupid actually responded to my offer. Everyone else called me a scammer. Rude, huh?

Anyway, the point is that once you make sure your death is not impending, some of those too-good-to-be-true deals can be really good.

--------------------
quote:

Pages