Exile/Avernum tabletop RPG?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile/Avernum tabletop RPG?
Apprentice
Member # 7261
Profile #0
I've been wondering... has anyone tried writing up something like this? There've been a couple very vague ideas spinning around in my head but I'd like to know if there've been any previous efforts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #1
Been done with many variations.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
I don't think any came close to satisfactory completion, though.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #3
I think Exile started as a tabletop game which Mr. Vogel was running. He then turned it into a CRPG. I don't know if he would release it as a roleplaying game which would be interesting.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
With the advent of d20 systems since Jeff originally started Exile I guess that outside of us there wouldn't be the demand for a tabletop RPG. Most people don't want to invest their energy in learning a new system anymore. It was different in the 80's when there were several different systems on the market: D&D, GURPS, d100s, diceless gaming, etc.
Apprentice
Member # 7261
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

With the advent of d20 systems since Jeff originally started Exile I guess that outside of us there wouldn't be the demand for a tabletop RPG. Most people don't want to invest their energy in learning a new system anymore. It was different in the 80's when there were several different systems on the market: D&D, GURPS, d100s, diceless gaming, etc.
- I guess it might help if I mentioned that the ideas I've got don't resemble any of those systems at all... well, maybe "diceless" but that's a huge category right there. :) Instead, I'm thinking more of a narrative-oriented system (i.e., mechanics that help you develop your character's significance in the story instead of simulating their abilities in an imaginary world) based on the very first thing you're told in Exile: you've been convicted of not fitting in.

And now you're stuck in what is still a very untamed world, populated by everyone that the old world considered a little too "odd" to keep around, trying to find or build or forcibly carve out a place (temporal and spiritual) you can call your own. Would you re-create your life anew? Would you honour the memory of what you had achieved before and continue spreading your misunderstood ways, or do it out of spite for people you'll never see again?

...and that's about all I've got. I'm not sure what kind of rules would help drive this kind of play, or even what the archetypal story that results shoudl look like. Maybe I'll give it some more thought later, when my mind isn't divided on a few IRL duties I've really got to stop slacking on...

[ Tuesday, July 18, 2006 23:24: Message edited by: Vaecrius ]
Apprentice
Member # 7261
Profile #6
Ugh. Couldn't tell the difference between quote and edit.

[ Tuesday, July 18, 2006 23:23: Message edited by: Vaecrius ]
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #7
This idea sounds like it might work in a forum-based free style RP. If you really want to see this happen, you could go to one of the forums with RP section, like Polaris (www.polarisboard.net) and check if there is interest there. (Although you'd need much better defined story and characters than just saying "interact with the Exile world".)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #8
Me and a couple of my Spiderweb friends tried to have a sort of Exile D&D match but it didn't work too well. :-P

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!