Montauk Project

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Montauk Project
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #25
Actually there are scientist working on an invisibility cloak using artificial materials with negative refractive indicies. They can bend radio wave frequencies so they pass around an object. The problem is doing it in the visible range over a wide frequency spectrum. That's why stealth fighters are invisible on long range radar systems but show up on short range radar at a different frequency.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #26
EDIT: Consider me gone.

[ Friday, June 16, 2006 18:43: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
Bat bombs apparently worked well enough. Is it possible for a project to be insane and brilliant, or at least insane and workable?

The problem with projecting different images in different directions is that it's like trying to make a computer monitor show a different image depending on where you're standing. A pixel can only show one thing. Highly focused beams from "pixels" pointing in different directions from very nearly the same point would work, but then you'd only get invisibility from certain set angles and complete visibility from all other angles.

—Alorael, who would be happy to hear any suggestions for workable alternatives. He really knows nothing about holography, so maybe some kind of rapidly alterable grating with lasers would work. Okay, he's not really expecting suggestions, because if it were easy DARPA wouldn't be still getting mocked about it.

[ Friday, June 16, 2006 19:56: Message edited by: A Matter of Historical Outsight ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #28
Air Force pilots located within the USA are currently flying unmanned Predator drones over Ira_. Actual jets and bombers can kill from miles away. Tanks shoot over the horizon. At some point, and I'm not suggesting it is now, you just have to face your opponent in quick draw. The rest of it makes killing too easy, which makes the decision to kill easy as well. I don't particularly like that.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #29
As Maimonides might say, stealth technology does not use negative refractive index. It just tries to absorb without reflecting, since it's the reflected signal that reveals your position on radar. Stealth is about being black, not about being clear.

A less fanciful optical breakthrough with military applications would just be making a smoke that blocks infra-red.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #30
What a load of pigswill.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
From Wikipedia:
It is thought that development of the bat bomb was moving too slowly and was beaten out of the race for a quick end to the war by the Atomic Bomb project.
Imagine how differently the Cold War would have looked if bats had beaten out nukes to the punch. Instead of competing on size of bomb and numbers times they could obliterate all life on earth, the US and USSR could have wasted their money on gigabat flocks, trained vampire bats and genetically engineered batwhales instead.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
And if bats were WMDs we could find reasons to attack everyone!

—Alorael, who can only imagine what would happen to Batman if bat bombs became reality. Maybe he'd become a suicide bomber?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #33
Actually the bat bomb was accidentally successfully tested in the US. Scratch one air force base. It might have worked except the bats went into migration season.

The work on an infrared smoke is difficult because there are a wide range of wavelengths that need to be absorbed. I've seen the math for the scattering problem and you need a range of particulate sizes. Not to mention targeting systems are now usually more than one type to prevent weather difficulties in blocking one when it's needed.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I don't think that there's anything inherently impossible about projecting different images in different directions.
Seconded. While studying at the uni, we have created some holograms, so dealing with coherention and interferention of phasic and reflected wavefronts we studied a little a question of possible inversion of phasic wavefront on the object. But that's for now is possible just from one "front" and with quite a nuber of external devices :) . But nobody has proved that it is impossible for at least 180 degree view. And that will be quite enough for a trooper.

Edit: Right now I asked this question one of my good friends, who is much into that. And he said, I'm wrong a little. Still it is possible to surround a base with external projectors and hide it. It is widely used.
--------------------------
The voices just reminded me about a Not Our Problem field, which can hide anything form any viewpoint.

[ Sunday, June 18, 2006 22:25: Message edited by: Hurling Frootmig ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #35
Or we could have someone undercover who would poke everybodys eyes out or distract the enemy when our planes or whatever else was coming into radar.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #36
Montauk Project = Snake Oil

To paraphrase Carl Sagan, extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence. You have the former, but not the latter.

The concept of invisibility is neat, by the way. My personal feeling is that it will not be economical or practical on anything more than a very small labratory scale. I could be wrong, but I'm gonna play it Sagan here as well.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages