Hiking

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Hiking
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #0
Just to let you know, I'll be away for the next few days on a hike, although you probably won't notice.
You see, I'm doing the Duke of Edinburough scheme at school, and part of it means going on a 2-day hike. So I'll be hiking all day tomorrow, camping overnight, and hiking all morning Sunday. I leave for Somerset in about 3 quarters of an hour.
Anyone else done any hiking lately?
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #1
Does a shashlik weekend count? We've made it on a river outside civilization anyway :) A lot of can-shooting attached :)

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by The Stew Boy:

You see, I'm doing the Duke of Edinburough scheme at school, and part of it means going on a 2-day hike.

They have that in Victoria. I was going to do it, but the community service kinda put me off. ;) I have some friends that are doing it, though.

Have fun.

EDIT: What medallion are you going for?

[ Thursday, June 01, 2006 21:59: Message edited by: Sproing ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by The Stew Boy:

I'm doing the Duke of Edinburough scheme at school, and part of it means going on a 2-day hike.
Firstly, did you mean Duke of Edinburgh? And secondly, what is it - Duke of Edinburgh scheme? :)

Edit: Oh, okay, don't tell me to use wikipedia, as I've already did. Now I know what it is, so, what award are you after? :)

[ Thursday, June 01, 2006 22:09: Message edited by: Ford Prefect ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
Australian website

From the website:

quote:
The Duke of Edinburgh's Award is an international leadership in action programme,
available to all young people aged between fourteen and twenty-five.

Being voluntary, flexible, non-competitive, balanced, progressive, challenging and most of all enjoyable,
it provides an opportunity for young people to achieve personal excellence and build self-esteem,
self-confidence, self-reliance, self-motivation and respect for others via their involvement in
service, skill, physical recreation and expedition activities.

quote:
Originally written by Ford Perfect:

Edit: Oh, okay, don't tell me to use wikipedia, as I've already did. Now I know what it is, so, what award are you after?
It goes in stages - bronze, silver, gold. You have to do more and more to earn each medallion.

[ Thursday, June 01, 2006 22:13: Message edited by: Sproing ]

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #5
Actually I just got back from a hike in the hills around Los Alamos. There are a lot of good trails around there.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
Yeah, I was gone for a few days this month on a backpacking trip in southeast Missouri... nobody seemed to notice.

30 miles in four days of hiking, through tick- and poison-ivy-infested trails.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Originally by Ephesos:

quote:
Yeah, I was gone for a few days this month on a backpacking trip in southeast Missouri... nobody seemed to notice.
What are you talking about? Dikiyoba had never seen the undead population so active. The zombies were rioting, the skeletons were partying, and the ghouls... well, no one knows what they were up to, but it was surely something ghastly. :P
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
Have fun and get lots of exercise!

I actually haven't done any hiking in a long time, largely due to the absence of hunting season, but I imagine I'll get at it sometime. My dad, a tree faller for a logging company, is in the mountains semi-constantly.

--------------------
-ben4808
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
No hiking, but I like rock climbing, without harnesses and what not, so obviously I don't mean vertical rock faces. :)

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
Originally by The Stew Boy:

quote:
Just to let you know, I'll be away for the next few days on a hike, although you probably won't notice.
We will now. :P

-----

Originally by VCH:

quote:
No hiking, but I like rock climbing, without harnesses and what not, so obviously I don't mean vertical rock faces.
That kind of rock climbing is fun.

-----

Dikiyoba hasn't done any hiking recently, but Dikiyoba has a backpacking trip coming up towards the end of the month.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #11
Grrr. This reminds me of an aborted hike I took about a year ago. Waking up to a foot and a half of snow is not fun. Neither is wading in thigh-deep icemelt.

--------------------
Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv!
- The Knights who formerly said "Ni!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Grrr. This reminds me of an aborted hike I took about a year ago. Waking up to a foot and a half of snow is not fun. Neither is wading in thigh-deep icemelt.
Did you wake up yourself? I'm asking cause once we were waken by a pair of hunters. We didn't know about the snow outside and our tent was half buried in it. So those two found us and asked if we were still alive there. That was actually a horrible surprise to se the snow in late of May.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #13
But snow is so fun! And cold weather is just as cool. That reminds me, has anyone else noticed how rediculous actors are dressed when the movie is supposed to take place in a cold climate? The day after tommorrow comes to mind. I mean if its minus 45 that light jacket and scarf aren't going to be enough. Anything below -30 and your asking for frostbite without gloves (in literally minutes). Hmm what weird thoughts for the summer months mhh. :)

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #14
Back now. I guess I forgot to say that I'm doing Bronze. I'm only 14, you know.
The hike was mostly boring walking, while my legs and shoulders were killing me. Occasionally we came across steep rocky slopes that were quite challenging - I quite literally had to be pulled up at one point.
I had about 10 hours of sleep in total over 2 nights - last night I was at the brink of vomiting, although breathing fresh air stopped it, luckily. Probably caused by the stuffy tent. And it was FREEZING - not actually below 0, but at night and early morning it was 2-5 degrees, much lower than I'm used to.
You know what really worries me? This was only the practice hike. We have to do the exact same route for the actual hike, in about a month. As long as I don't have a bad cold and sore throat like this one, and as long as it doesn't rain, I'll be fine.
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #15
I'm not doing any hiking, but I'm going on a fifty mile bike ride on Tuesday. Does that count?

--------------------
Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
If you are worried about the real hike, you might grab a few friends and start hiking on a daily basis. Just a few miles, both up and down hill, and your feet and legs will begin to learn about the process. The marathon two day hike won't be all that bad if you've done that preperatory work.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #17
I'll let my friends know that it was good fun. :P

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #18
By Ford Prefect:
quote:
Did you wake up yourself? I'm asking cause once we were waken by a pair of hunters. We didn't know about the snow outside and our tent was half buried in it. So those two found us and asked if we were still alive there. That was actually a horrible surprise to se the snow in late of May.
It was a class trip (Wildlife 30), so little chance of anything bad happening. We were doing a four-day hike in Kananaskis that we were hoping to compress into three days. About five hours in, we noticed it was snowing up at the pass. Seeing that we got about a foot and a half at the campsite, the pass would have been completely snowed in. All in all, though, a mostly fun trip, despite waiting half a day at a truck stop for a road to be cleared on the way back. Exactly a year ago tomorrow, I think.

--------------------
Welcome to the Great White North, eh.

[ Sunday, June 04, 2006 17:16: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #19
quote:
Exactly a year ago tomorrow, I think.
Wow, that is good memory. (At least compared to me.)

------------
"I shall soon rule the posting world with my... Hey you, quit typing that in or I'll post it!"-The soon to be postmaster.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Major:

quote:
Exactly a year ago tomorrow, I think.
Wow, that is good memory. (At least compared to me.)

Such events use to stamp the memory block with the exact date and never be forgotten. Once on a trip we caught the rain early in the morning when just woke up. Thought we should wait it over. Later, when the rain didn't stop, only got heavier, we thought we should still wait till it stops. It was a mistake. That year rain didn't stop for two weeks. I still remember the feeling when you have to pack the camp and walk all the way home wet to the last spot on the body.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
I was about 11 years old, hiking and camping in the north woods of Ontario, about 5 hours north of Sudbury. We were about 3 days into the hike when we had to camp on a gentle granite slope. Around 4am I woke up because of the screaming next to me. It turns out there was a big rainstorm and it had flipped over the tent. My sleeping bag had rolled over my tent-mates, and with the combination of that and 4" of water in that side of the tent, he was a bit panicked.

From then on we didn't camp on bedrock, and made sure that we did a better job of tying down the various ropes and such that kept the tent functional. It was a fun trip, we did a round trip of around 300 miles, hiking and canoing.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #22
Thank goodness I've never had my tent flip over or fill with water. I did go on a two week camping trip last summer and just a few days into the trip, the tent door zipper broke. The door couldn't be closed at all. Naturally, it rained off and on for the rest of the trip.

Duct tape helped Dikiyoba out a lot that trip.

[ Monday, June 05, 2006 07:57: Message edited by: Dxtrgrtba ]