There Are Other Worlds Than These . . .

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: There Are Other Worlds Than These . . .
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #0
. . . but what are they?

Let me lay it out for you as succinctly as I can: I've been playing adventure and role-playing games for some time now, including the old adventure series by Sierra On-line and Lucasarts (King's Quest, Quest for Glory, Space Quest, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones, Sam and Max, et cetera) and most of the old-school role-playing games for video game consoles.

However, I've never had a Macintosh until very recently, and getting one has helped me to find games like Escape Velocity Nova by Ambrosia (loved it) and obviously the Avernum series. These are great games, and I am only too happy to pass up today's polygon-saturated blast-a-thons in favor of quality gameplay.

And recently, in the "Themed Party Contest" thread, I saw a screenie for Jewel of Arabia, a game which I remember snubbing a few months ago but which I now think I want to buy.

The meat of my question is this: What other great games (with fairly low system requirements, say 600 mHz, G3, and OS X 10.3.9) can you guys recommend? Obviously, if you like Avernum and Jewel of Arabia, then our tastes run along the same lines.

I've searched many Mac games sites, but I know I can get better results straight from the horse's mouth.

[ Saturday, April 01, 2006 22:17: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #1
Commander Keen is good. At least I think that was the name of it. And I'm not sure if it is avaliable on Mac.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
Well, this is not an RPG, but an adventure game, and it will require system 6.08 or so, but Dark Castle is an amazing game. I was hooked to it already when I was 4 years old. If you can find an emulator emulating the Mac plus, you can play the game (I play it too on my G3 Imac). I can recoomnd mini vmac.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #3
Well, if you've been playing LucasArts games, yu MUST know about Monkey Island. All of them but Curse of Monkey Island (#3) are also for Mac, I think. Shame on you if you've never heard of these gems!
Well, I've only played 1 and 2 (which were excellent), but I've played the demos (short, but still good).

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Zephyr Tempest.:

Well, if you've been playing LucasArts games, yu MUST know about Monkey Island. All of them but Curse of Monkey Island (#3) are also for Mac, I think. Shame on you if you've never heard of these gems!
Well, I've only played 1 and 2 (which were excellent), but I've played the demos (short, but still good).

Of COURSE I've played those! In fact, you can use SCUMM VM today (Google it) to play all of those old gems, and then some. With the Mac version of SCUMM, you can play the old Windows LucasArts games right on your Mac, and the performance is smooth and perfect (on my 600 mHz G3, anyway).

I also have Fallout and Fallout 2 for Mac, of course (may they last a thousand years).

Commander Keen, huh? Yeah, that's a fun old 16-color action title. I remember it fondly . . .

Grab an emulator and try to run Dark Castle? First I'll have to learn about Mac emulators.

[ Sunday, April 02, 2006 08:51: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Old Scratch:

Grab an emulator and try to run Dark Castle? First I'll have to learn about Mac emulators.
Here is a link to the mini vmac page: mini vmac. You say you run OS 10.3.9? Then you'll have to download version 2.7.1 from the left hand menu.

After that, here is a link to dowload Dark castle and Beyond Dark castle (Dark Castle 2). Go to Main download area, then to Games, and then scroll down the list until you find Dark castle.

To run mini vmac, you'll have to have the Mac Plus RAM and a copy of System 6.08, system 6.08 in .img format. I can email you both, if you wish.

That's all there is to it. For more information, I'd be happy to help you out, but you can also consult the webpage of mini vmac and the manual that comes with the emulator.

[ Sunday, April 02, 2006 09:05: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
If you're going to set up mini vmac, I can also recommend Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge. I could only get it to run in black and white, but it's still a great game.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #7
Ever played Descent?

--------------------
-ben4808
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by the benalizer:

Ever played Descent?
Sure, years ago on PC; in fact, I remember that my Dad purchased it in the local church rummage sale, and that it had previously belonged to the priest, Father Dan. (You just know a priest who plays computer games must be a cool guy.) I also played the entire Wing Commander series, and those were some wonderful games.

Say, do any of you know anything about Realmz? I'm finding the registration and gameplay instructions rather confusing. Also, I read several complaints on review site message boards that people's registration codes had gotten lost and that the company refused replace them, which is a bit distressing. I'm all for supporting shareware authors, but after I pay, BY GOD, YOU'D BETTER REMOVE EVERY INCONVENIENCE OF YOUR COPY PROTECTION FROM MY LICENSED VERSION OF YOUR DAMNED PROGRAM. (All-caps sincerely intended.)

And, there are no forums dedicated to Realmz, just a Yahoo! group I have to be approved to belong to (usually you can post a message and wait for an admin to approve it later, but these folks are more stingy).

Any direction or information you can give me concerning Realmz would be greatly appreciated, and a link to an actual forum would be superb. I suppose a post about Realmz is a bit out of place in these forums, but I am, after all, a paying customer . . . and I haven't made up my mind about Geneforge yet, so you'd better be nice to me! :D ;)

[ Sunday, April 02, 2006 17:15: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #9
None of us actually work for the company, so it's unlikely anyone will care if you're a paying customer or not.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Realmz varies from okay to awful. At best it's fun, although never as fun as Exile, and at worst its painful. It's riddled with bugs both minor and major, typos are more common than proper spelling and syntax, and balance was more or less ignored. The plots by and large don't deserve the name.

I highly recommend staying away from Realmz. It wasn't great when it first came out and it has aged even less gracefully than E1.

—Alorael, who is very fond of the LucasArts gem LOOM. Unfortunately, it doesn't run with sound with ScummVM, which really defeats the purpose of playing LOOM. On the bright side, he has a Mac copy that still works.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

...What other great games (with fairly low system requirements, say 600 mHz, G3, and OS X 10.3.9) can you guys recommend?...
600 mHz, G3, and OS X 10.3.9 are low requirements? Oh well... :(

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

quote:

...What other great games (with fairly low system requirements, say 600 mHz, G3, and OS X 10.3.9) can you guys recommend?...
600 mHz, G3, and OS X 10.3.9 are low requirements? Oh well... :(

Well, yes . . . by today's standards, I have what you might call "an old clunker" of a Macintosh. In contrast, my PC is a 3.6 gHz Pentium IV with a 512 graphics card and two 80-gig hard drives. And even that is a far cry from the fastest gaming systems out there . . .

(I mainly use my Mac as an Internet computer to shield my PC, which I keep offline, from viruses and spyware.)

Yeah, 600 mHz G3 now qualifies for "old clunker" status, without a doubt.

By the way, I played a few minutes of Realmz . . . the idiocy scared me away. :D

[ Monday, April 03, 2006 10:01: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
Realmz is entirely inferior to Exile, but it can still be fun, and is worth a few days of play. As for registration codes: Fantasoft was pretty much incommunicado for a year or two, but there is a new business partner dealing with registration codes. I emailed him and received a replacement registration code within an hour, a few months ago.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
Hmmm.

I could also suggest

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
GeneRally (though it takes some resources)
Age of Empires (also takes some resources but is really awesome)

And a few others that I used to play from a disk of about 1000 shareware games. I can't remember what they were though. :/

--------------------
-ben4808
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #15
I would suggest Dungeon Master 2, but maybe it won't work on your system, is too high.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
Dungeon Master II has worked perfectly on every Mac I've had since it came out. It should work fine.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Dungeon Master 2 won't even open successfully on my 1.67 Ghz, OS 10.4.5 Powerbook. This is news to me, and I'm very sad about it.

—Alorael, who doesn't know what to do without suicide by walking into walls. And then multiple suicides by hurling the bones of the deceased at shopkeepers and getting mauled by bird-ninja-men.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
Well, you could always find a Super Nintendo emulator and play that version of the original Dungeon Master. No weird shop guards, but then you can make your own FUL bombs and throw them at the wall you are standing next to. That's fun too.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #19
But if you get a SNES emulator, you need Donkey Kong Country too. Great game.

--------------------
-ben4808
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #20
DM2 seems to open and run just fine in Classic in 10.4.6 here, Alo.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
For a while a number of Classic applications wouldn't open. Now they've started working again. DM2 is among them.

—Alorael, who just noticed that NetFungus is also among them. There go many potentially productive hours of his time.