Classic RPG Heritage Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Classic RPG Heritage Poll
Warrior
Member # 1688
Profile #25
I remember a nasty fight in Curse of the Azure Bonds. You were invited to 'throw caution to the wind' against fifteen Beholders.

My poor level 11 thief wore his little virtual arms off backstabbing that day.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #26
I remember playing Rogue on an old Mac Plus ... I managed to actually beat it once. Those were the days ...

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Rubicante:

"Fire Emblem was never officially released in English until 2004, and then only one game, I think, whereas most of the Dragon Quests have been out in English."

Although I havent completed any of the Fire Emblem games, they did release 2 on GBA, and one on Gamecube, with more on the way.

Does anyone here actually own a real gameboy? I have 2. :P

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #28
Which of these games would still be fun to play today? For example, Master of Orion is still the standard by which space strategy games are measured and Master of Magic is also quite fun. Are there similarly appealing games among old RPGs?

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #29
Depends what you're looking for. If you prefer Avernum to Exile, you may be out of luck. If you don't mind lower quality graphics, Pool of Radiance is an obvious recommendation. For pseudo-real time, full RPG dungeon crawls, you can't beat Dungeon Master II.

If you like games that are more plot-driven and less open-ended, Final Fantasy 4 and 6 (released in the U.S. as II and III respectively) and ChronoTrigger, all SNES games, have stood the test of time. Some would also include Super Mario RPG, brilliant in its day, in this category. Most of those have been re-released for PlayStation or GBA.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #30
Also on the SNES are Zelda and, since you delicately stepped round it, Final Fantasy 5.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Inthrall:

quote:
Originally written by Rubicante:

"Fire Emblem was never officially released in English until 2004, and then only one game, I think, whereas most of the Dragon Quests have been out in English."

Although I havent completed any of the Fire Emblem games, they did release 2 on GBA, and one on Gamecube, with more on the way.

Does anyone here actually own a real gameboy? I have 2. :P

I completed FE 1 (English) on the GBA. Since then I haven't played any FE games on a GBA, but I've played them...

Sadly, I played MA before FE so I didn't pay attention to the character dialog graphics. I just assumed they were from some obscure Japanese game I would never play.

EDIT: Seeing as it's slightly relevant, TM, is the dialog graphic of Leader in Canopy supposed to resemble Big Brother?

[ Friday, March 31, 2006 15:59: Message edited by: St. Ashby the Martyr ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #32
I played all but a Fire Emblem game, a Dragon Quest game, the original Colossal Cave and Eye of the Beholder.

And I was born later than 1990.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #33
I don't remember the name of the Star Trek versions I've played and since my copy is on 5 and 1/4 inch floppies I doubt I'll ever find out.

The Hack I played used text characters for graphics and doesn't sound like a Rogue game. The game attempted to create a Dungeons and Dragon character and his dog. The dog got bored if you spent to long exploring, needed to be fed regularly, and would attack you if you fell through a trap door and took to long to get back. The dog was nice for stealing items from the shops as you went deeper into a 25 plus level dungeon in search of the amulet of Yelendor (?).
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #34
Yup, that's Hack and it's one of the major Roguelikes. It is an odd one, and not a favorite of mine, but there you go.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #35
I haven't played any except for the first three. I guess I'm not very familiar with the so called heritage RPG's.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.

Pages