General chat times poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: General chat times poll
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
In an attempt at resolving this discussion about chat times, here's a poll. Please ONLY ANSWER if you attend, or want to attend, the general chats. There are 8 times listed. They are not exact. The idea is to get a general sense of what time of day works for people across to globe. This is particularly aimed at our European friends who have trouble with Americocentric chat times.

If there is a time that works for you, but you are likely to show up for 20 minutes and then have to leave, please choose the second option for that time.

Thank you.

Poll Information
This poll contains 8 question(s). 24 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=qgGgaBxblwUT"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=qgGgaBxblwUT"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
I still don't think the chats will improve my chances of finishing my scenario.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
Nor my chances of getting a life. Regardless, we trudge on. We few, we happy few. (Worst use of Henry V *ever*.)

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
What happened to spontaneous chats?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
I have this theory about chat oversaturation. If we want the chats to survive, and we want them to be less than completely boring, having watered-down random chats every 12 hours is really not the way to go.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
Eh, I'll try and make it regardless, but don't expect much from me for a while... my laptop died yesterday (I'm on a lab computer in my dorm now), and my internet access will be hit-or-miss for a while...

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm back in.

[ Saturday, March 11, 2006 18:03: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #6
The random chats will be unlikely to stop. If you like chatting with more than one member, and they are online then I don't see why you should stop and wait for other people to come online. Although, making a chat every night is truly pathetic.
As per the dates, I'll have to say that it will depend during which date of the week. For example, I go to college three times a week, so I'll be on the chats depending on which day of the week is been held.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #7
Meh, if I'm on, next time y'all have a socialing, depending on medium, count me in.

I guess I could do with a good laugh.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
Bump.

(Hey, if I'm going to post just to bump, I might as well be honest about it.)

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #9
Scheduled chats with no purpose other than chatting are the greatest lunacy ever conceived. And on this forum, that is saying a lot.

Important conferences are scheduled because members need to attend. They are logged because members who weren't there need to know what was said. This goes for the blades chats, which are about actual topics.

The general chats are pure conversation and gossip. I say, have these chats, and log them if you want, but for heaven's sake stop scheduling them.

"On March 13 2006, between 0100 and 0400 GMT, the members of Spiderweb will convene in an AIM chatroom to discuss... uh... stuff."

And if you think you need to schedule them so more people can attend, then at least refrain from trying to eliminate random chats. The way to have random conversation is randomly - just keep the window open when you're online, and wait for other people to come in.

[ Monday, March 13, 2006 01:27: Message edited by: Albus Dumbledore ]

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Albus Dumbledore:

Scheduled chats with no purpose other than chatting are the greatest lunacy ever conceived. And on this forum, that is saying a lot.

Important conferences are scheduled because members need to attend. They are logged because members who weren't there need to know what was said. This goes for the blades chats, which are about actual topics.

The general chats are pure conversation and gossip. I say, have these chats, and log them if you want, but for heaven's sake stop scheduling them.

"On March 13 2006, between 0100 and 0400 GMT, the members of Spiderweb will convene in an AIM chatroom to discuss... uh... stuff."

And if you think you need to schedule them so more people can attend, then at least refrain from trying to eliminate random chats. The way to have random conversation is randomly - just keep the window open when you're online, and wait for other people to come in.

Ditto
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
Marl, you of all people should understand the point of this. In the past you've complained that small chats are too boring and have told me to "say something!" The random chats tend to have 5 or 6 people, most of whom say nothing, and most of the time conversation is sparse. The scheduled chats have had as many as 25 or so different people, up to 17 at one time, and are engaging and funny.

There are people who like the chats, but don't want to sit around on AIM waiting for them to happen, or who can't do it every night. This is a service for them. So hush up. Nobody's saying you can't make a random chat if you want. Nobody's forcing anyone to attend the scheduled chats.

Oh, and you can stop spamming cause you won't catch me no matter how hard you try ;)

--------------------
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

Marl, you of all people should understand the point of this. In the past you've complained that small chats are too boring and have told me to "say something!" The random chats tend to have 5 or 6 people, most of whom say nothing, and most of the time conversation is sparse. The scheduled chats have had as many as 25 or so different people, up to 17 at one time, and are engaging and funny.

There are people who like the chats, but don't want to sit around on AIM waiting for them to happen, or who can't do it every night. This is a service for them. So hush up. Nobody's saying you can't make a random chat if you want. Nobody's forcing anyone to attend the scheduled chats.

Oh, and you can stop spamming cause you won't catch me no matter how hard you try ;)

I resent the fact that you would even suggest that my post was a spam. I am hurt by the idea that you would think of me as a spammer :P . Anyhow, I'm not saying that we should do a chat every single night. However, you must agree that it would be very hard to schedule chats at times where everyone is available. So leaving the window open would let everyone be a part of wherever chat is going on, and it would work around everyone’s schedule. Besides it’s not like General chats are so important that they must be schedule, it’s just us talking about perverted things that would make no sense outside the chat. And if leaving a window open 24/7 would stop people from posting the logs………
Now, I also can see your point in that if you schedule the chat then everyone would make an effort to show up, we would have more people. Thus the chat would be more interesting, which the random chats are not. I guess it depends on what the majority of people would agree upon. I just happen to be open to suggestions and happen to agree with both sides.
Oh, and I'm not trying to catch you, your spamming abilities are above my reach :P

EDIT: Forget everything I said. I just had the most pathetic invite with only Alex in the chat room. THE CHAT WINDOW OPEN THING MUST STOP

[ Monday, March 13, 2006 08:51: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

EDIT: Forget everything I said. I just had the most pathetic invite with only Alex in the chat room. THE CHAT WINDOW OPEN THING MUST STOP
LOL. I'm glad you see the light.

quote:
However, you must agree that it would be very hard to schedule chats at times where everyone is available. So leaving the window open would let everyone be a part of wherever chat is going on, and it would work around everyone’s schedule.
I suspect that most people here either can't or (hopefully) don't want to sit in front of their computer for hours at a time with a chat window open just in case a spidweb chat gets going. Aran is an exception, of course :)

--------------------
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #14
Pssh. Scheduling is no way to run a random chat. The trick to getting a good random chat is having about three hundred people on your AIM list, so at any time, there'll be at least fifty on, so you've got a fair choice to pick from what kind of insanity you prefer today.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #15
Yes, but of those fifty, I'd only regularly chat with three. There's no point having hundreds of people on your list if you never talk to most of them.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Hakuna Matata:

Pssh. Scheduling is no way to run a random chat. The trick to getting a good random chat is having about three hundred people on your AIM list, so at any time, there'll be at least fifty on, so you've got a fair choice to pick from what kind of insanity you prefer today.
Please don't feel any compulsion to add me to your list, I prefer exclusivity over homogeneity. This whole AIM thing is getting very overblown and has cut way too far into my free time, which coincidentally is my scenario making time.

Do with that what you will.

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #17
As the person who first came up with the idea for scheudled General Chats, I humbly submit a suggestion.

I think that 'spidweb' should be an "open room." If you're online and feel like talking to other members, join the room. For the sake of AIM Triton users, and anyone else who wants to use it for convenience, here is a link to the chat room:
aim:GoChat?RoomName=spidweb

Please note that this link only works if you are using an actual version of AIM. The link will not work with Trillion, iChat, Gaim, etc.

Also, I think scheduled chats are good as well. Since Slarty started this topic, I'll let him set dates this week. :P

Edit: UBB adds an http to the link. Clicking on it will just send you to aim.com. Copying and pasting to the address bar of your browser should work though.

[ Monday, March 13, 2006 18:46: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

For the sake of AIM Triton users, and anyone else who wants to use it for convenience, here is a link to the chat room:
aim:GoChat?RoomName=spidweb
Please note that this link only works if you are using an actual version of AIM. The link will not work with Trillion, iChat, Gaim, etc.

If it is for the sake of AIM Triton users then why won't the link work for us?

Edit: Thanks Thad, it's working now

[ Monday, March 13, 2006 18:47: Message edited by: Dominican Desire ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #19
The non-functioning hyperlink has been taken out to avoid confusion

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
The aim: marks a protocol. A browser seeing an aim:// (or aim:) is supposed to open whatever default application you use for AIM. Since the UBB renders this http://aim/, the links gets destroyed.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Aran:

The aim: marks a protocol. A browser seeing an aim:// (or aim:) is supposed to open whatever default application you use for AIM. Since the UBB renders this http://aim/, the links gets destroyed.
IMAGE(http://stuff.ermarian.net/salmon/yeahthat.gif)

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
Wow. Now my chat window is still open, and though I'm not at my computer, remote access allows me to see the chat as it is being logged. I can't write anything however.

Last line was

quote:
[08:35] AlecKyras: We're catching up. :P
Edit:

quote:
[11:48] Saralfur: Hey Aran.
And hello to you to, Supa. I'll be home in three hours or so. Think of it as an extended afk. :P

[ Tuesday, March 14, 2006 03:13: Message edited by: Aran ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #23
Any day other than Monday-Tuesday is good for me within say, 12PM-1AM GMT.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Yes, but of those fifty, I'd only regularly chat with three. There's no point having hundreds of people on your list if you never talk to most of them.
That would be the theory. Practicality? I stil regularly talk to at least half and am on good terms with another quarter. The others are just business.

quote:
Please don't feel any compulsion to add me to your list, I prefer exclusivity over homogeneity. This whole AIM thing is getting very overblown and has cut way too far into my free time, which coincidentally is my scenario making time.
See above, stop ruining fun.

In conclusion: *Runs from UA!*

Pages