Blades of Avernum - 8.66 (10.0/7.0)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Blades of Avernum - 8.66 (10.0/7.0)
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #25
I wasn't a fan of Blades of Exile. Maybe it's because the engine wasn't good enough for some of the crazy things people were scripting for it, maybe it's because the editor was too annoying for me to take the time to figure out. But it sure does make Blades of Avernum look great. Far superior, anyone who says it isn't is a liar.

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
Eh, I don't know; I found the BoE engine more fun to play in. Admittedly, part of this is because the BoA engine isn't so eminently twinkable as BoE -- but I'd think that'd make you like BoE more, if anything.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #27
The editor is hard to use: scripting takes a big effort to learn and making towns is a pain in the bum. This probably scares many potential designers away.

Personally, I'm annoyed at how excruciatingly difficult it is to make competent custom graphics. Even with years of practice, I still don't have this stuff down to a science. Making isometric graphics is difficult and the fact that I have to make twelve different poses for a simple monster graphic, keeps me from finishing a lot of my work.

Despite the difficulties, when a scenario is made, it's almost always worth a good playthrough.

[ Sunday, February 18, 2007 09:05: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

The editor is hard to use: scripting takes a big effort to learn and making towns is a pain in the bum. This probably scares many potential designers away.
I'd disagree... making towns is the most fun part. Filling them with content, that's the difficult part.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
New Arrival
Member # 8137
Profile #29
Newbie question:

How hard is to do a total conversion of Blades of Avernum? Like, replacing all the character portraits, creating new spells, stuff like that. Is it even possible?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
Replacing player character portraits can be done, but isn't officially supported, and Spiderweb won't host scenarios that require it.

New spells... can't really be done at all, but you can fake it with magical items that call scripts. (See the scenario Exodus for an example.)

[ Monday, February 19, 2007 04:46: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #31

The bugs prevent it from achieving a perfect score, and as a designer, it annoys the hell out of me in some places (not to mention the American spellings in calls... it should be print_str_coloUr dammit!), but the scenarios we have, and the scenarios we're about to recieve, make this a contender with BoE in terms of value-for-money.

And I did a bit of dabbling with BoE, and so can make comparisons, and I dunno. BoA just seemed to feel better when I started designing. Scripts made more sense than nodes. And it looked nicer as a finished product.

And I know the last bit is all an opinion, so don't lets argue, huh? But seriously, I just feel better working in this medium compared to BoE. And the same holds for playing it.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

Replacing player character portraits can be done, but isn't officially supported, and Spiderweb won't host scenarios that require it.
Well, it can be faked, as per Lord Putidus, but only on the Mac side. Spidweb has no problem with LP.

quote:
Originally written by Umph. xx:

it annoys the hell out of me in some places (not to mention the American spellings in calls... it should be print_str_coloUr dammit!),
This is what you get for playing an American-made game. :P
quote:
but the scenarios we have, and the scenarios we're about to recieve, make this a contender with BoE in terms of value-for-money.
Eh, BoE has 300+ scenarios. BoA has 30+. It's hard to compete with the sheer volume of BoE, even discounting quality.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages