have you noticed?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: have you noticed?
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #0
i have been wondering
who else thinks that the quality of the spidweb games have been degrading over the years?
i mean look at avernum 1 it was pretty cool but the graphics were nothing compared to games such as age of empires 3?
then avernum 2, it was a milestone!
personally i think it was the greatest one, however avernum 3 not as good but still fun and the others slowly degrading as more and more sequels were made.
the reason avernum 2 was a landmark is because the graphics were better then avernum 1 and the story was great
avernum 3 was same graphics, not as cool spells, worse spell graphics, and worse story
who else agree with me?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 30 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=rKKFxlRpDndz"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=rKKFxlRpDndz"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
I think the overall quality of the games continues to go up, as does pretty much all technology. However, the novel sometimes seems to wear off.

--------------------
-ben4808
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
Given that there were about 5 years of Spiderweb games before Avernum 1, your explanation isn't that great.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #3
i heartily agree with you on that.

just look at the amount of BOE scenarios and BOA scenarios and you will see the major trend that in his attempt to achieve greater graphics quality jeff has left out that special something that appleals to his greatest fans.

i find that the avernum series/nethergate is better than geneforge in not just content but also in storyline.

PS: pardon me for any grammatical/spelling errors in my posts, i am usualy either being rushed or half asleep
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #4
quote:
I think the overall quality of the games continues to go up, as does pretty much all technology
Technology is not the same as quality.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #5
The graphics department in the later games kinda ... lacked variety.

Gameplay was okay. I liked A4's combat system better than all its predecessors, but ehh, I've seen better.

But the story/plot seems to recycled so intensively it's worse than Gundam SEED/Gundam SEED Destiny.

Gawd.

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #6
you utterly depise me?
jeez, that's breaking the code of conduct in the major section!

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
He was speaking metaphorically.

Spiderweb's zenith came around BoE or Nethergate. Those two were close together, so either works. But E2/A2 were also pretty good. Heck, for all its faults BoA is still a good thing. And, call me crazy, but there are days when I prefer A4 to A3. Neither one has a wondrous plot but Avernum is better than the surface and A4's combat is actually entertaining. Geneforge isn't my cup of tea, but the first one has a good plot from what I've seen.

You know what? I disagree entirely. Spiderweb's games have fluctuated pretty randomly.

—Alorael, who hopes he will never see any Spiderweb game compared to a real time strategy game with a budget orders of magnitude larger. Yet strangely enough he has never owned Age of Empires nor particularly desired to own it, while he does own every Avernum and continues to play them.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #8
muhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaahha
i have 57 percent in my favor!!!
still man, jeez i didn't think anyone would pick the i utterly depise you :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

--------------------
join me!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #9
For all its ups and downs, the Avernum series is still the best turn-based RPG I have found (one of these days I'll look into Nethergate and Genefore... eventually).

Well, CRPG. A pen and paper RPG still kicks a CRPG in the posterior hands down.

--------------------
The Xian Pen is indeed mighter than the sword...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
You know, I think that Jeff has started paying attention to different things over the course of his career. Certain aspects of his games receive a more meticulous gaze these days, and certain ones a less. I think he cares more about modern-style (if not better, per se) graphics now. I think he has always cared a lot about gameplay, but less exclusively than now.

Well, we'll see how GF4 turns out. He has said that in making A4, he wanted to make a game with good hacking and not a lot of complicated plot. He clearly succeeded in what he was trying to do. With GF4, he says that he wants to make a game with a cool plot. If he succeeds with that, then perhaps we'll be able to say that his style has changed again.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
This poll is stupid beyond words... but I'll contribute my two cents.

I know nothing about Exile, and I never dabbled in Geneforge. It's been straight Avernum since I became a Spiderwebber. For the Avernum series, it's a definite turning point right now, and I'm interested to see where Jeff goes with it. I personally hope he returns to the previous Avernums' style, because I feel A4 lacks most of it. I'm willing to give him another chance, though...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
There should have been an option for "I agree, but I still utterly despise you". :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by When in the course of Nathan Ashby:

There should have been an option for "I agree, but I still utterly despise you". :P
Yes, the poll might have gotten closer to the truth if people weren't forced to choose between agreeing with you and despising you. Personally, I don't agree, to my mind the quality of the games doesn't really have much of a moving average. It might be fun to play around with the ratings some and see what the general consensus though.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #14
The thing is guys, at the end of the day, its not graphics which makes a game good.
Look at BoE, it wasn't exactly Half life was it? What really matters about a game is gameplay, and its that which spidweb has never failed to delevier.
I will always love spidweb games, despite the fact they're graphics aren't exactly perfect.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Gameplay is important, and Spiderweb games are always solid but not necessarily stunning there.

Plot and atmosphere are important too, though, and that's where the results have been a little more questionable.

—Alorael, who has been satisfied overall. He's still playing the games, after all, and that's the real test.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
At least Spidweb games typically don't need frequent patches to re-balance, re-work, or just simply fix games. Tons of games (MMOs in particular) have this syndrome now, and it's good to see games that don't need to be re-patched every other week.

On an unrelated note... finally, proof! Alo double-posted!

(He's going to delete it and make this post look stupid, I'm sure of it)

EDIT: Yep, I knew he would. And now you all think I'm crazy, don't you? Well I'm not! Alo's inflating his post count! Rise and rebel, fellow Spiderwe-

(gets sniped)

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 17:08: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #18
No, I see/saw it too. And I saw the time where he forgot his sig as well.

Dikiyoba knows that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but there's no reason people in glass houses can't point and laugh.

Edit: Big typo. Point and laugh.

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 15:06: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #19
Bah, that's nothing compared to the time he spelled his name "Arxalant", before spelling it "Aloreal".

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

At least Spidweb games typically don't need frequent patches to re-balance, re-work, or just simply fix games. Tons of games (MMOs in particular) have this syndrome now, and it's good to see games that don't need to be re-patched every other week.
As a BoA designer, you should know quite well that the reason SW games don't have a lot of patches is not that problems don't exist, but that they don't get fixed. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

On an unrelated note... finally, proof! Alo double-posted!

(He's going to delete it and make this post look stupid, I'm sure of it)

I have no idea what you're talking about.

—Alorael, who was very tempted to edit out all references to his errors. He manfully overcame the urge, though. Aren't you proud of him?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #22
Your next displayed name needs to involve "manful".

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Pokemon:

The thing is guys, at the end of the day, its not graphics which makes a game good.
Look at BoE, it wasn't exactly Half life was it? What really matters about a game is gameplay, and its that which spidweb has never failed to delevier.
I will always love spidweb games, despite the fact they're graphics aren't exactly perfect.

Are you seriously saying that Half-Life's success was purely based on its graphics? I do agree that graphics are not the most important factor however. I'll take gameplay over graphics anyday.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.