Rate Homeland : The Stone of Night

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Rate Homeland : The Stone of Night
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #25
I decided to retry it, but had to stop after 10 minutes because I was developing a headache. I reiterate my above opinion.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/playinghomeland.gif)

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/playinghomeland2.gif)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #26
I played Homeland for almost 5 minutes once. I was very disappointed in myself. Soon after I took an economics class and learned about sunk costs. Now I wouldn't even last 1 minute playing it. I give it a 9.1, for being stunning.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
I can play it, and I can even play it without obvious graphics problems and the like. I can't make it be fun.

—Alorael, who reiterates his lack of a response. To rate it is to give it dignity.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #28
Aran, were you using Windows Vista or something? I have to trouble at all with Homeland running in Windows XP.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #29
*stands up* My name is Zephyr, and I once played Homeland.

Anyway...I managed to play the demo for some number of minutes, going around town and talking to people. I had a nice walk around town in my frustratingly slow manner with none-to-pretty and rather vague graphics, when I went south. When I got into the forest, I was started every once in a while when a cute little animal had a megaphone tied to its head and was then slaughtered, I mean a crow cawed very loudly and startled me. Then I got to the snakes. The combat was so horrendous I quickly closed it and uninstalled it, and I have been clean ever since.

+5 for a base score because I'd like to try this little system.
-1 for the graphics
-1 for the crow caws of death
-2 for the horrendous combat system
+1 for helping me kill some time
-1 for the rather poor performance (though my computer may be responsible)

Giving it a debatable score of 1! Which earns the prize of: Bad protagonist haircut

I could probably say more about it, but for some reason trying to recall anything else results in a sudden vision of 'Error: Psychoanalytical nightmare imminent' and I came to an hour later.

[ Friday, February 16, 2007 23:36: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #30
I applaud you for your courage Zephyr. I too have a clean computer. Much scrubbing and several hard drive replacements, along with mother boards and monitors and pretty much everything except this keyboard, and I feel clean. Now to work on the woodgrain.

I screwed up my earlier rating, it should have read .91, not 9.1.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

Aran, were you using Windows Vista or something? I have to trouble at all with Homeland running in Windows XP.
Windows XP Home, SP2. There is no way I will ever use Vista...

Also, 2.4 GHz 512 MB RAM.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #32
Hm. Interesting. The only problem I ever had with Homeland running in Windows XP was with the cutscenes taking a while to load. It may have something to do with your drivers, or something like that.
Homeland is a bit old, after all.

EDIT : Hey, wait. Where is the Spiderweb Homeland webpage? I can't find it, even on the older games page. The link to Spiderweb from Dragonlore appears to be dead as well. Did it get deleted?

[ Saturday, February 17, 2007 01:54: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #33
They're trying to destroy the evidence of the horror once unleashed upon the unsuspecting inhabitants of this plane of existence.

I once had the inclination to borrow my friend's computer to try to play Homeland, just to see what was so bad about it. I sat down until the feeling passed.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8144
Profile #34
can anyone give me a Homeland save file for the registered game? I want to see further in the game before I rate. (I have reg. version but can;t beat it)
Apprentice
Member # 8080
Profile Homepage #35
Being a Mac person, I can't comment on Homeland. But is it bad that I really liked Galactic Core? Granted, it wasn't a masterpiece of design, but I thought the gameplay was really fun! It required a good deal of tactical thought and some luck, but it's by no means impossible. I must have played through the demo a good five times. Granted, after a while, it probably gets a bit monotonous, but it's a fun challenge. And aliens are always cool. Comparing their technologies was interesting.

To make a long story short, Richard White doesn't always deserve the shaft. Galactic Core is like chess in space, only cooler.

Ocean Bound, on the other hand, is a horse's head in your bed.

[ Tuesday, February 20, 2007 20:57: Message edited by: Two Open-Mouthed Burglars ]

--------------------
Maybe they're shocked. They might just be bug-eyed, not burglars. But at any rate, 8080 definitely is the smiley of two people slack-jawed with awe.

—Robin Thomas for Prez in 2024—
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by penguindude:

can anyone give me a Homeland save file for the registered game? I want to see further in the game before I rate. (I have reg. version but can;t beat it)
You can't beat it? Telling me where you're stuck would help. The sewers of Mandelin? The fight with Maglius? Lauriston? Harbordale? Buolkaloch? The Citadel? The Isle of the Winds? Or perhaps Necru?
Apprentice
Member # 4511
Profile Homepage #37
I've never played it myself.. But I'm guessing it needs an update more than anything to make it playable. It seems most of the complaints are about the graphics and graphical glitches.

--------------------
Vercalos al'Corlin
The Wanderer
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #38
I became curious by reading this thread and decided to try out Homeland for myself. Not wanting to splurge on money or hard drive space by seeking out a fully paid version right off, I decided to track down a demo first, which I found at a site called Dragonlord. I downloaded the Zip file, installed, and opened the game...

In the not-too-distant future...

You see, I sometimes like to see how bad things are for myself, especially games and movies. So anyway, given the comments I've seen here thus far, I expected a relatively bare-bones title screen, but what I got was actually pretty elaborate, complete with rendered graphics that were rather crude compared to the cutting edge of their time, but not abjectly horrible. Unlike Sorcerer Aran, I didn't have any problem getting the menu or screen to display, and so I happily clicked my way through to a new game, renaming my main character "Trogdor" and allocating all of my ten bonus points to Strength. I accepted my stats...

And then the fright began

The next thing I knew, I was in a house, talking to a father. I mean my father, apparently. He said some typical disturbing fantasy things about soil and wanting to live on a farm that doesn't actually produce anything forever and chuckled a lot. Then he directed me towards the town and proceeded to wander around the homestead for a while.

The newfound freedom of movement revealed a new problem, however; namely, that everything except me moved way too fast. I assume this stems partially from the game and my computer getting along uncannily well and the application managing to take full advantage of my system's specs. Anyway, I soon got a handle on clicking to move ("click-walking") and managed to stumble around, walking into people because I was trying to left-click to talk to them. Shortly afterward I tried right-clicking and mastered yet another invaluable skill: mimicking my dog.

Still, there was the problem of me not being able to walk very fast even with everything else whooshing by at blinding speed, so after addressing both my father and mother with my concerns and receiving only thinly-vieled pleas not to leave town and abandon them to their own helpless devices in return, I decided to head out and explore. Even though it was my first time outside of the house, the speed of walking was so unbearable that I might have cut my adventure short much sooner were it not for a timely discovery. By pure luck, I managed to figure out that if I double-clicked (or presumably also double-tapped a movement key) I could sprint like a madman! So I did.

Skipping through the town and whistling a jaunty tune, I was shocked to find out that there was actually a whole villiage here instead of just the starting house and the inn I had been told out. Perhaps this game wasn't as bad as the rumors made it out to me, I thought. The first building I came across was just to the west of my home - a tanner. I stepped inside and engaged the owner in a battle of wits, but was quickly laid flat by his borderline pirate-speak. Somewhere in there I think he told me his wife the level 10 Night Elf Huntress had died of hunting too much and all he could do was loot her corpse. And it was thus that I received my first weapon, Sandra's Knife, and a promise of one gold piece per snakeskin I brought back from the woods.

Continuing my merry escapade through the town revealed that most of the townspeople were only interested in not giving me a job, that I could not attack myself with the knife, and that my girlfriend was only interested in sniping at my ego as usual. I'm not sure what the villiagers are so afraid of. It's not like all the other shepherds were scarred for life, and besides, the paint did wash off eventually. I did notice something a little awkward, though, and it occurred to me that the ground of my entire world was divided up into squares that didn't behave properly, only allowing me to move diagonally by clicking instead of using the appropriate keys, and mapping on a different axis depending on which direction I moved on the same one. Anyway, I decided to head out into the forest and test my new weapon ...

It is a horrible night to have a curse

...except that this wasn't a forest. Um. I seemed to have stumbled into the field east of the farms, which had been cleared some twenty years ago and then never used, because crops had been poor ever since...ever. I soon found a river, which I recalled was supposed to have some flowers near it, so I followed it north past all of the unsuitable flowers and right back into town. Then I turned around.

Once again setting out bravely into the unknown forest, I encountered the rare and exotic Large Rocky Tree. Often taking the form of a rocky crag roughly twice the height of a human and easily mistaken for a small mountain range, the Large Rocky Tree grows so densely that it can create a literal maze with only one winding path between rows of trees. I powerwalked into the woods and took a left turn to the north, then a right to the east, then a right to the south, then a right to the west, then a right to the north...and naturally I hit a dead end. Being the completionist that I am, I became determined to map out as much of this mysterious forest as I possibly could, so my concussion and I stumbled back out of the dead end path and took another route. After finding two or three more dead ends, I suddenly heard a strange and unfamiliar skittering around the next bend. Leaping at breakneck speed around the corner, I encountered the most horrifying sight I had ever seen since the blinding light outside my front door...

We are Many, We are One

Scorpions! Immediately three of them sprang from their nest, and upon ascertaining that I was there, they proceeded to rock me like a hurricane. Thinking quickly, I drew Sandra's knife, hoping that it would save me where it had failed its former owner. I took one swipe at the lead scorpion, and...was hit twice in the same space of time. I crumpled to the ground, defeated. The last thing I saw as my vision faded was my dog staring blankly into space, as if to say "You should have read the manual first, moron"...

All in all, the game's basic engine wasn't quite what I was expecting. It does have some usable elements, like basic movement and dialogue, that might make it playable, not to mention that your dog travels around with you. Maybe tomorrow I'll give it another try, because there's surely no end to the comedy. =^.^=

[ Tuesday, February 20, 2007 23:20: Message edited by: Whyte Shadow ]

--------------------
http://whyte-shadow-neko.deviantart.com - My drawings!
Waka Laka love and fantasy~
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #39
Wow. How the heck did you manage to get killed by a scorpion while wielding the second-best weapon in the game? :P
Make sure the hand icon of your character isn't selected. Also, you might want to refrain from going berserk for now - try activating the "D" icon to lower the scorpions' hit rate. It will also lower your attack skills, but that shouldn't be much of a problem with Sandra's knife.
And by the way, Sandra's not dead - she's the Mysterious Woman in the inn. (But you're not supposed to know this until you've finished the first part of the game.)
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

Wow. How the heck did you manage to get killed by a scorpion while wielding the second-best weapon in the game? :P
Make sure the hand icon of your character isn't selected. Also, you might want to refrain from going berserk for now - try activating the "D" icon to lower the scorpions' hit rate. It will also lower your attack skills, but that shouldn't be much of a problem with Sandra's knife.
And by the way, Sandra's not dead - she's the Mysterious Woman in the inn. (But you're not supposed to know this until you've finished the first part of the game.)

Well, I actually didn't know that, but I eventually decided to write the narrative with only the knowledge and meta-knowledge my character would have from experience up to that point, so I still won't bring it up until later. Thanks, though. =^.^=

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 00:14: Message edited by: Whyte Shadow ]

--------------------
http://whyte-shadow-neko.deviantart.com - My drawings!
Waka Laka love and fantasy~

Pages