Hooray.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hooray.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by karin.exe:

The fact that root beer is good is a lemma because it is UNHEALTHY. Put a tooth in it for a week and it'll be gone. Or does that only work with coke? Same thing!
Doesn't anyone watch Mythbusters? It doesn't work, I'm afraid. Teeth soaked in cola for a long time will only get very brown, but they will still be there. Cola does not dissolve teeth.

However, drinking 'til morning will definitely hurt your studies. I guess. We'll see when the exams hit.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #26
The carbonic acid in Coke has been said to dissolve a penny after so many days.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #27
Again, referring to a certain Mythbusters episode, the cola only removed most filth from the surface of the penny, leaving said penny usable and - as a result from the cola treatment - quite clean.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #28
Ah, I see. Good, I can strike any future recitations of this particular "it has been said" from my repertoire. It is amazing how many of these old wives' tales and urban myths prove to be just that: tales and myths.

Another is that we yawn to get more oxygen. No one actually know for sure why we yawn.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #29
Given the circumstances under which yawning occurs, it may well be a social behaviour like laughter. Like laughter, yawning is more likely to occur in public than in private.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #30
Well, bad root beer does taste like carbonated cough syrup. This is why when in a restaurant with inconspicuous and unlabeled "Root beer" available for purchase, I always ask what kind it is. I will never drink Mug because it's a POP and not a drink... Barq's is too carbonated and hurts my palate, and doesn't taste very good anyways. A&W is rather decent, once flattened a bit. Any other pop producer (Shasta, etc) is frowned upon by me, root beer-wise. And if it is of any other kind, I will try it. My favorites being Sprecker and 1919.

But canoing is my life, and root beer is my beverage.

--------------------
--Dachnaz
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #31
I'm a Stewart's fan myself. Not just the root beer either. Their orange cream soda is to die for.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #32
I personally like Shasta... but I'm not really into root beer. I mean, Shasta's selling point seems to be the sheer variety of flavors... and they're all really good for such dirt cheap soda.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

One does not have to prove that root beer is good, because the statement is an axiom, not a lemma.
That is not the same as the original statement in the thread, and it is not an axiom because it can be easily contradicted by people who dislike root beer. It can instead be a supposition.

—Alorael, who likes route bear moor.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
W.V.O. Quine once observed that any single statement can be made true, as long as you change enough of the rest of your worldview to make it so. If one takes it as axiomatic that root beer is good, then one adapts one's definitions of "good" and of "root beer" to make the statement true under all circumstances.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
I take it as axiomatically true that one equals two. May I have a miter now?

—Alorael, who would suggest that practical considerations limit the utility of axioms. Assuming root beer to be good under all circumstances is actually reasonably reasonable. (Yes, this was just an excuse to write reasonably reasonable.)
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #36
Tomorrow, Dikiyoba shall set Dikiyoba's world view so that Dikiyoba may enter these forums through the back wall instead of through the door in an attempt to smuggle in Dikiyoba's sanity.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #37
For crying out loud, I think the first post called that statement a lemma because it was a proven statement (without proof given) that was part of a greater proof that was not given.

I can tell you, for instance, that the Product Rule was a lemma in Newton's Principium, but I don't have to give you the proof of the Product Rule or tell you the greater proof in which the Product Rule was used in order for the statement that the Product Rule was a lemma to be true.

My bed has white sheets. Do I have to post a picture of my bed for you to believe that the previous statement is true?

In other words, we were supposed to believe that it was a lemma because he said so, not because he demonstrated that it was.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

My bed has white sheets.
Does it really? Mine has white sheets too, and a pink quilt. What color is everyone's sheets?
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #39
my favriote colar sheets are a very dark (flanel tee hee) blue

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #40
My sheets are blue and my down comforter is blue on one side and green on the other. And the product rule makes calculus very easy. ^__^

--------------------
--Dachnaz
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #41
Everything is dark blue in my room. This includes the sheets, pillowcases, blankets, walls, and ceiling.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #42
The lemma is not used to prove anything, and it is both tautological and quite possibly based on a false premise! I demand rigorous proof!

—Alorael, who will continue ranting as he pleases. Semodius asked for thoughts, and on Spiderweb that is very dangerous request.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #43
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

Everything is dark blue in my room. This includes the sheets, pillowcases, blankets, walls, and ceiling.
Does that mean when you're in your room that you're dark blue?

My sheets are flannel and white with barnyard animals on them. Unfortunately, they are the only sheets that my family owns that fit on a twin bed. Everyone else has double beds. :(

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #44
I too have a preponderance of dark blue - sheets, duvet cover, curtains, stereo. Even my legs are dark blue in places. Excuse me, it is time for another appointment with my dermatologist.

EDIT: Dammit, can't spell.

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 12:28: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #45
Blue is my fav color, yet I can't imagine having everything on my room of the same color. Not even white. My quilt is white with pink; although, my mom just bought two red ones that are so darn pretty.
*heads out to go beg for the quilt*

Edit: YES I GOT IT

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 13:11: Message edited by: Selima ]
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #46
Descartes proved everything based on the axiom that he existed. This being Spiderweb General, I can prove the same on the axiom that root beer is good.

By Alorael:
quote:
I take it as axiomatically true that one equals two. May I have a miter now?
'1' is defined as the multiplicative inverse. By defining '2' as the same, you imply a * 2 = a.
Now you need another symbol to represent 1 + 1.
(Sorry, I've been doing math ALL afternoon)

--------------------
"What ... is your favourite colour?"
"Blue. NO WAIT! Aaahh....."
- Quest for the Holy Grail
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
That was a reference to Bertrand Russell, who claimed to be able to prove anything from any false premise. I may have this only roughly correct, but here's the version I've seen. He was given 2+2=5 and told to prove he was the pope.

2 + 2 = 5
4 = 5
1 = 2

The Pope and Bertrand Russell are two people, so the Pope and Bertrand Russell are one person, so they are the same person, so Bertrand Russell is the pope.

—Alorael, who considers this firm evidence for the need to avoid false premises. One pope is enough.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #48
But that also means that I'm the pope as well.

I don't know what color my bedsheets are. Probably something and white. I have a multicolored quilt, but I don't know if that counts.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #49
Nico, I'd have to say that I'm not blue, but I used to have blue hair if that counts for anything.

Ben, How can you not know what color your own sheets are?

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room

Pages