Keyboard control

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Keyboard control
Apprentice
Member # 6677
Profile #0
My wrist hurts. I'll buy Avernum 4 and Genforge 3 if there's a way to play them without using the mouse.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
In Avernum 4, you'll still need to use the mouse occasionally to target spells and missile weapons, select items, and so on, but many things (including moving from place to place) can be done with the keyboard.

Unfortunately, I don't think Geneforge 3 has keyboard movement, so you'd be using the mouse a lot more for that.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #2
Maybe a better quality mouse pad can help you out I know mine did.A mouse is better then a keyboard in games because it allows you to be more accurate.

Oh and welcome to spidweb :D

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
I'm faster and more accurate when using a keyboard.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I use a mouse for those cross-country treks from, say, Fort Monastery to Silvar and the keyboard for any movement that requires any thought whatsoever.

—Alorael, who prefers to avoid the mouse in general. This forced him to purchase a keyboard to go with his laptop (numerical keypads are necessary!), and he now contemplates the engineering challenge of making some form of folding keyboard for laptops that duplicates the standard desktop keyboard.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #5
I miss the keyboard targetting of the previous Avernums. That's the only real problem I have with A4.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #6
I actually use the mouse for practically everything. It doesn't get too tired, and you can do practically everything with it. But I guess it can be prone to quick errors and the like.

--------------------
-ben4808
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
How would you implement keyboard-based targeting in a game with area-of-effect spells, anyway? The only solution I can think of would be to number all the rows and columns on the screen with a Battleship-style grid, allowing the player to type in "b7" or whatever to target the square at the centre of the area of effect.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
The cursor starts on the caster. You can move the cursor like a party member with the arrows and keypad or jump to a specific enemy by pressing the appropriate letter. Pressing enter fires the spell centered at wherever you have the cursor.

—Alorael, who can't say it's a particularly elegant solution, but it is a solution. If there weren't tiles, it would be even uglier.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Januarist Revolutionary:

—Alorael, who prefers to avoid the mouse in general. This forced him to purchase a keyboard to go with his laptop (numerical keypads are necessary!), and he now contemplates the engineering challenge of making some form of folding keyboard for laptops that duplicates the standard desktop keyboard.
Just buy a USB numeric keypad. They're not cheap, but they should do the job.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

How would you implement keyboard-based targeting in a game with area-of-effect spells, anyway? The only solution I can think of would be to number all the rows and columns on the screen with a Battleship-style grid, allowing the player to type in "b7" or whatever to target the square at the centre of the area of effect.
You could have letters appear over each visible enemy and have the user press the corresponding letter to who they want to blast. However, that means that you can't firestorm an empty section of ground.

Since the keyboard is a rather non-efficient way to do it, there's the mouse beside you, even if it is a mini USB optical plugged in the back of your laptop.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Plugging something into a laptop to get the keypad isn't useful. If I'm already dealing with that, I might as well get a whole keyboard. It makes regular typing easier too.

—Alorael, whose household has, for reasons murky and probably immoral, twice as many mice as computers. He decided that a mouse would go nicely with his laptop and keyboard setup to make it more like a desktop when its planted on his desk. Instead, he finds himself randomly alternating between using the trackpad and the mouse. Go figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Januarist Revolutionary:

—Alorael, whose household has, for reasons murky and probably immoral, twice as many mice as computers. He decided that a mouse would go nicely with his laptop and keyboard setup to make it more like a desktop when its planted on his desk. Instead, he finds himself randomly alternating between using the trackpad and the mouse. Go figure.
I'm the same way. Even when my mouse is plugged into my laptop, I still use the touchpad quite frequently.

[ Friday, January 13, 2006 19:30: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
I use an external mouse with my laptop whenever I haven't left it somewhere - which happens every now and then. The track pad is okay for many applications, but when it comes to computer games or graphics, it is impossible to use.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
Just games that require one hand on a mouse and one on a keyboard. Which is quite a few of them, but fortunately not Spiderweb Software games.

Dikiyoba can't think of anything else to say.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #15
Hey, some games work out all right. I can play Marathon via the trackpad. :)

quote:
Alorael said:
Plugging something into a laptop to get the keypad isn't useful. If I'm already dealing with that, I might as well get a whole keyboard. It makes regular typing easier too.
A numpad is more portable. I'm not saying it's an ideal solution, but it's a compromise between carrying a whole keyboard around and not having a numpad at all.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #16
Has ANYONE managed to play Marathon with a mouse? When I tried it, the camera started acting weird and I settled for playing oldstyle, plain arrowkeyes plus ctrl for firing...

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #17
You can play Geneforge 3 without a mouse, but you have to use Unklock spell to open all the door :D

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by :Slash::
Has ANYONE managed to play Marathon with a mouse? When I tried it, the camera started acting weird and I settled for playing oldstyle, plain arrowkeyes plus ctrl for firing...
I use the mouse to point the camera/character and just press/hold forward to move. I use the other movement keys to sidestep or retreat.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

quote:
Originally written by :Slash::
I use the mouse to point the camera/character and just press/hold forward to move. I use the other movement keys to sidestep or retreat.

Yeah, thats what I did too. However, the camera was slow and hard to control, that I could barely aim my gun.

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"